PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like Seeing These Sprints

Fat Robert
07-05-2006, 05:25 AM
They're like the way the sprints at the Tour were before 88 or so, when you started seeing Superconfex develop the leadout train that DelTongo and GB/MG then took to an art form with Cipo.

In those 80s sprints, there were always 8-10 guys in for it, and it all came down to explosiveness, positioning, and bike handling over 200m. As has been said here before, Cipo and Ale-Jet were not pure sprinters in the Frank Hoste or Jean-Paul Van Poppel mold. They had more power than anyone else, and could hold that top end longer -- in track and field terms, they were more like a 400m man who just didn't fade than a 200m man who exploded and kept accelerating to the line.

Boonen is similar to that -- but there's no controlling Quick.Step train, at least until Rujano flops, and Lefevre kicks him out next year after realizing that his team just isn't going to have a GC rider who is as "money" as Boonen is for stages, with proper support. McEwen, Hushovd, Eisel, and the rest of the nuts we're seeing in the sprints this year are more traditional "acceleration" guys, no one team runs the show, and its more exciting as a result.

I like it.

Climb01742
07-05-2006, 05:28 AM
agree. uncontrolled, unexpected, unpredictable. equals exciting. wide open is good.

William
07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Coming from one of those 400 meter guys who doesn't fade.....I agree with you. It is more exciting to watch the jack rabbits.

William (aka: The Pseudo Sprinter)

Elefantino
07-05-2006, 06:12 AM
They're like the way the sprints at the Tour were before 88 or so, when you started seeing Superconfex develop the leadout train that DelTongo and GB/MG then took to an art form with Cipo.

I don't know. I miss the art form. Or maybe I just miss Cipo. I don't root for the sprinters now, I just watch. When he was racing, I rooted for him.

Not that these sprints aren't fun to watch. I just find that I have no rooting interest, other than to watch to see how many riders McEwen fouls on the way to the line. ;)

Kevan
07-05-2006, 06:39 AM
In my own little universe our local club rides often have sprints that seemingly mimic this aspect of racing. Or is it the other way around? This is nothing new to any club ride, we all share it, regardless how casual the ride might be. Heck, even little kids do it - sprint.

Something in the spirit of the ride changes, spirring the group and off you go until your legs can't stand no [sic] more. There's this stretch of pavement leading into New Canaan, slightly downhill at the start, and I don't think I've ever taken that piece of pavement casually. There's only one option available: hell bent.

ClutchCargo
07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
There's this stretch of pavement leading into New Canaan, slightly downhill at the start, and I don't think I've ever taken that piece of pavement casually. There's only one option available: hell bent.

hey, just out of curiosity, Kev . . . would that stretch be Rte 124 from the North? 123 perhaps? Whenever I'm heading into Ridgefield from the fountain I feel the same way . . . gotta put it into the big ring and charge! :)

Ride on!

Kevan
07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
hey, just out of curiosity, Kev . . . would that stretch be Rte 124 from the North? 123 perhaps? Whenever I'm heading into Ridgefield from the fountain I feel the same way . . . gotta put it into the big ring and charge! :)
Ride on!

Typically, it's Rte 124, us coming over from Bedford. But Rte 123 leaving Ridgefield and heading to New Canaan is a hoot too. Too long to sprint of course, but with a good paceline, you can practically keep with the car traffic the whole way down.

Word is out that Scot's Corners is starting to bag cyclists who don't stop at their stop sign. Until further notice, I'm tapping my toe on the pavement there.