PDA

View Full Version : So many reasons why I love the Tour...

Grant McLean
07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Anything and everything will happen.
It's a guarantee you can take to the bank.

Matthias Kessler in the break gets caught 100m from the line Monday,
and the next day wins the stage attacking in the last 2km.

Tom Boonen has a flattening front tire and sprints for 4th place,
gets the yellow and enough points to take the green too.

Jens Voigt's breakaways from suicidal distances.

It's really too bad that Valverde, O'Grady, Dekker, Rodriguez crash out.

And that's just today.

g

atmo
07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
i certainly don't want to upset the applecart, but
the tues pm race commentary by al and bob really
is droll mon dieu atmo.

Grant McLean
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
What's with OLN having P&P in the morning, and Al & Bob at night?

Can't you Yanks handle a british accent in prime time?

g

atmo
07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
What's with OLN having P&P in the morning, and Al & Bob at night?

Can't you Yanks handle a british accent in prime time?

g

news to me.
the first hour was the yanks. then they switched to the hubs.
my wife went comatose before half-way point atmo. (of the
broadcast, not the nooky yo).

Grant McLean
07-04-2006, 09:41 PM
news to me.

An hour is more than I could take.

I tape it in the morning, and get all Phil & Paul all the time,
fast forward through the commercials.

You get the cervelo ads down there?

g

atmo
07-04-2006, 09:52 PM
You get the cervelo ads down there?

g

of course atmo.
read through this thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=2730598&posted=1#post2730598) in whichever direction floats your boat.

Grant McLean
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
of course atmo.
read through this thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?p=2730598&posted=1#post2730598) in whichever direction floats your boat.

wow. the internet is a scary place.

I like the ads very much. I'm surprised nobody brought up the apple ads.
These cervelo ads remind me of the current mac ads, they actually say
something about the product in very few words.

g

Zard
07-04-2006, 11:05 PM
news to me.

Nooky and Le Tour at the same time. You Sir, live quite a life....

gasman
07-05-2006, 12:22 AM

Jens Voigt's breakaways from suicidal distances.

g

Jens has been a favorite of mine for years and watching Overcoming made me like him as a person even more.
Animated, kind of goofy, a little ADD and always happy to ride hard and attack. What's not to like ?

I agree it's been fun to watch but only with P&P commenting and doing something else during the ads.

Climb01742
07-05-2006, 04:37 AM
maybe it's just my imagination, but the first 4 days have seemed especially exciting and surprising. very open. real racing, as opposed to postal/disco controlling stuff. i like it a lot. on the flip side, very bummed about the guys going out yestyerday. i had hopes for valverde being an animator; luck plays a part in all this, particularly in the first week it seems.

Climb01742
07-05-2006, 05:05 AM
of course atmo.

about cervelo's ads:

they do seems VERY in keeping with who phil and gerard are. those dudes are serious tech-heads (meant in a good way).

i'm not sure the look is an intentional "style". they appear to be done on a tight budget: one camera, one day, one location. ain't nothing wrong with that. as pieces of communication, they do_exactly_what cervelo wants them to do: say we are a no fluff, no BS engineering driven company that builds bikes to go fast.

to confess, i have some personal info on this. our agency talked to cervelo this past spring. had a great call with phil and gerard; they are genuinely a no fluff, no BS engineering driven company that builds bikes to go fast. we gave them a strategic POV that said...make phil and gerard "the brand" and talk technical stuff; make your story about engineering stuff, not style or marketing BS.

nice to see that's what they're doing. based on what i know about cervelo, i'd guess they made the ads themselves. phil and gerard aren't shy about their estimation of their abilities and expertise, shall we say. hey, more power to them. sadly, i'm sure they had visions of basso on a cervelo getting much airtime on the tour, hence running the ads. a bit of product placement that didn't quite work out as planned.

keno
07-05-2006, 05:49 AM
I just went to look at their website, and they must have designed that, too, climb. The screen that comes from their instructions is too large for my resolution, which has never been a problem before, and none of the buttons I was able to access brought anything up. Their frames look cool to me and would have liked to learn something. Oh, well, I'll have to be satisfied with my crummy Ottrott.

keno

William
07-05-2006, 05:56 AM
I said it would be exciting with the name brands out and everything up for grabs. Should have listened BD. :no:

C'mon over and watch the tour with us. Rhea Basset will share her case of Near Beer with you...though you better hurry...

BaaWoo!!
Baa<burp>Woo!!

William ;)

Elefantino
07-05-2006, 06:05 AM
news to me.

They did the same thing last year. I'm not sure why. That's why I DVR the live broadcast and skip the commercials when I watch at night.

However, did you know that Saab was founded by 16 aircraft engineers?

Grant McLean
07-05-2006, 07:16 AM
about cervelo's ads:

they do seems VERY in keeping with who phil and gerard are. those dudes are serious tech-heads (meant in a good way).

i'm not sure the look is an intentional "style". they appear to be done on a tight budget: one camera, one day, one location. ain't nothing wrong with that. as pieces of communication, they do_exactly_what cervelo wants them to do: say we are a no fluff, no BS engineering driven company that builds bikes to go fast.

to confess, i have some personal info on this. our agency talked to cervelo this past spring. had a great call with phil and gerard; they are genuinely a no fluff, no BS engineering driven company that builds bikes to go fast. we gave them a strategic POV that said...make phil and gerard "the brand" and talk technical stuff; make your story about engineering stuff, not style or marketing BS.

The ads were shot in the Cervelo office. Those bikes on display in the
background are the tour stage and classics winning bikes from the last
couple of years. I was there one of the days they were shooting.
I don't think most people realize how small this company is.

g

atmo
07-05-2006, 07:19 AM
The ads were shot in the Cervelo office. Those bikes on display in the
background are the tour stage and classics winning bikes from the last
couple of years. I was there one of the days they were shooting.
I don't think most people realize how small this company is.

g
i think they are effective ads atmo.
they work well in tandem with the special site created.

Grant McLean
07-05-2006, 07:21 AM
i think they are effective ads atmo.
they work well in tandem with the special site created.

they make tandems?

g

Tom
07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I hate to admit I watched TV during the daytime but I saw part of the live coverage and then the same day at night and the nighttime coverage is tough with all the ads. There's so many of them you really get no feel for the riding but the bright side is you can flip to baseball and back again.