PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Tune hubs on their wheels?

54ny77
07-27-2016, 02:04 PM
Got two pals with new wheels, brand spanking new, Tune hubs. Both are clunkers. Purchased separately and independently. Maybe both ended up on the wrong side of getting-a-lemon odds.

Am familiar with the name but no idea as to serviceability of quality. Are they any good?

Tales/opinions of firsthand experience appreciated. ;)

thegunner
07-27-2016, 02:37 PM
Got two pals with new wheels, brand spanking new, Tune hubs. Both are clunkers. Purchased separately and independently. Maybe both ended up on the wrong side of getting-a-lemon odds.

Am familiar with the name but no idea as to serviceability of quality. Are they any good?

Tales/opinions of firsthand experience appreciated. ;)

i ride them through everything, service is super easy if they're the last gen mig/mags 70/170s. just pull off the freehub and put some oil and you're good. no creaking issue either.

54ny77
07-27-2016, 03:09 PM
thegunner, what group are you using on your bike? by chance is it sram red? if so, what size spacer on the cassette are you running?

one guy's hub had loud can of sandpaper & marbles sound. it was heinous. unfortunately it was his only wheel that day for the ride, what a long nails-on-chalkboard day that was for anyone within earshot. :bike:

TunaAndBikes
07-27-2016, 04:59 PM
i ride them through everything, service is super easy if they're the last gen mig/mags 70/170s. just pull off the freehub and put some oil and you're good. no creaking issue either.

I loooove them right now, they've been pretty much trouble free and super light and stiff.
I ride them through everything too, but haven't serviced them in quite a while (read as; ever).
How often do you do it? Care to make a short write up/step by step?

thegunner
07-27-2016, 05:16 PM
thegunner, what group are you using on your bike? by chance is it sram red? if so, what size spacer on the cassette are you running?

one guy's hub had loud can of sandpaper & marbles sound. it was heinous. unfortunately it was his only wheel that day for the ride, what a long nails-on-chalkboard day that was for anyone within earshot. :bike:

red, 1.85 mm one from starbike (10s red btw)

yeah the hubs are loud as hell, but honestly i don't mind since it stops pedestrians from jaywalking when they hear it.

as far as the servicing, i don't really have steps, i just pull off the cassette, put on the lockring and the largest cog and pull outwards with a towel to catch the end cap. then i clean out the pawls + wipedown and add some boeshield in there.

54ny77
07-27-2016, 05:20 PM
thanks gunner.

one set is going back to fairwheel (where they were bought) for a look-see. jason's good over there, very helpful, and will hopefully diagnose the prob. the other set is going back to the lbs where the owner bought them.

thanks for the tip re: 1.85mm. my buddy's using red 10 spd as well, so your info is appreciated.

red, 1.85 mm one from starbike (10s red btw)

yeah the hubs are loud as hell, but honestly i don't mind since it stops pedestrians from jaywalking when they hear it.

as far as the servicing, i don't really have steps, i just pull off the cassette, put on the lockring and the largest cog and pull outwards with a towel to catch the end cap. then i clean out the pawls + wipedown and add some boeshield in there.

TunaAndBikes
07-27-2016, 07:16 PM

It's true, even for other cyclists to know you're gonna blow past them :cool:

To put everything back in, you just pop everything in, one by one?
Is it necessary to remove the endcap, or does it pop off by itself?
I'm sorry if i'm killing you, just know you'll have my eternal gratitude

Caballero
07-27-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm running 3 pairs of mig 70 mag170 and 1 pair of 45/150s, they are great hubs.

All are working well with no creaking. You'll find a good set of instructions on weightweenies if you want to service them..

You can also find the service manual on their site.

54ny77
07-27-2016, 10:27 PM
thanks caballero but neither me nor the actual owners have any desire to service these things. like i said, they're going back to their respective locations of purchase for diagnosing & repair, since they're brand new.

I'm running 3 pairs of mig 70 mag170 and 1 pair of 45/150s, they are great hubs.

All are working well with no creaking. You'll find a good set of instructions on weightweenies if you want to service them..

You can also find the service manual on their site.

cadence90
07-27-2016, 10:57 PM
both guys sent back to fairwheel for a look-see. jason's good over there, very helpful, and will hopefully diagnose the prob.
Odd that both sets would be bad. I wonder if these were a bad batch or something.

ergott will probably post here tomorrow. I think he has built many wheelsets with tune hubs, and I believe he likes them.

In any case, if your friends are already sending them back to Fairwheel/Jason, one can't do much better than that.

thegunner
07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
It's true, even for other cyclists to know you're gonna blow past them :cool:

To put everything back in, you just pop everything in, one by one?
Is it necessary to remove the endcap, or does it pop off by itself?
I'm sorry if i'm killing you, just know you'll have my eternal gratitude

use a towel to hold onto the cog / the freehub, the cap kind of just pops off.

http://www.tune.de/en/produkt/mag170-2

i know technically it says you need a tool, but the first time i did it i used an off kilter skewer propped against the inside of the cap and a mallet. the second time it just came off.

sandyrs
07-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Just to be totally clear, you mean it was creaking, not just that the freehub was loud while coasting, right?

fuzzalow
07-28-2016, 08:48 AM
I have built up a pair of Tune Mig/Mags. DT rims and CX-Ray all around. Still have the wheels although they are in storage. Don't have the Peg anymore.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cTK6p58vJ0E/Ub8IBJ3736I/AAAAAAAAAbA/Hkr66ovX4A0o3ZGqRtRm8V0ZmIytM7a7wCHM/s1024-no/dsc00327.jpg
No problems on the hubs. Sorry can't be more help.

54ny77
07-28-2016, 08:54 AM
two different wheel sets, two different owners.

the front hub on one set sounded like it was a can of sand & marbles. for 4+ hours of riding. the owner was ready to hurl the wheel in front of a semi shortly after rollout, but he was stuck. it was that vs. not riding on the day, which wasn't an option. so we all got to listen to that sound of bad music (or at least i did for awhile, until i dropped off that group's pace).

the other issue on a different set was rear hub, the chain kept skipping. that too was discovered as we just started rolling out. that was a nice surprise....not! turns out the mechanic claimed he couldn't get it to work, tried other wheels with no issues when he was doing a general tune up (during which he installed the new wheels). i don't think much of the mechanic, since he didn't bother to tell the owner of this...until after the 4+ hour ride was over and the wheel owner took the bike back to get adjusted. only then did he say, "but i tried, must be something wrong with hub!" maybe it is, or maybe he didn't use the right shim, and maybe he has no idea what he's doing.

one owner shipped his wheels back to fairwheel, the other took his back to the lbs where he bought it from.

it was a murphy's law day all around.

fuzz, that peg is sweet!

Just to be totally clear, you mean it was creaking, not just that the freehub was loud while coasting, right?

Fatty
07-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Anything new comes my way with with sealed bearings in it gets a once over. As in pop off the little rubber seal and check the bearing for grease. Bearing manufactures seem to be a bit stingy on the grease lately.

Spdntrxi
07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
No problems with front .. But the rear under load (climbing) was redonk loud..

Went to using extralite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denapista
07-29-2016, 09:51 AM
I've run nothing but Tune hubs... I'm currently on a set of 70/170 to Enve 4.5 tubular hoops. Hands down one of the most "Magic bullet" set of wheels I've owned. If you have issues with them, send them back to FWB for repair.

In the last few years, Tune has figured it out. The 70/170 line of hubs have been bulletproof for most. Servicing the 170 rear is a breeze like a DT240. Just remove the end cap, etc. Super simple.

Fairwheels should straighten it all out for both rear hubs..