PDA

View Full Version : Many very very small glass shards in my tire

drewellison
07-27-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm doing a long ride this weekend and so I decided it'd be a good idea to look over my tires. I do not do this regularly, usually only when I get flats.

My rear tire has a bunch of little tiny cuts which I usually don't pay any attention to. If a cut gets kinda big where it starts to gap, then I might put a little shoe goo in there.

But digging through these tiny weeny cuts, I found three very small pieces of glass (one may have been a rock, not sure). They were just sitting happily down deep below the surface. It took very careful effort to dig them out. Then I found one in my front tire.

They could have been in there for hundreds of miles, as far as I know and not causing a problem. There's still lots of rubber left on the tires so I don't plan on replacing the tires. The tires have probably a thousand miles on 'em and the front shows very little wear, although the rear is wearing a flat surface, but still lots of rubber there.

Does anybody else inspect tires closely and find lots of embedded objects? Should I be concerned?

KidWok
07-27-2016, 01:14 PM
I would take the time to get most of it out. It could be that it is all pulverized and you have enough tread that it won't go into the casing, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Tai

carpediemracing
07-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Does anybody else inspect tires closely and find lots of embedded objects?

Every now and then I'll check my tires, like maybe every couple-few years. I carefully dig out all those little things, glass/rocks.

I use pretty tough training tires so they don't concern me. Casing cuts concern me.

oliver1850
07-27-2016, 02:14 PM
A friend kept having a tire go flat on one of our rides. After the 3rd time I got to digging around and found a tiny piece of glass that was entirely under the tread. After that experience I've been more careful about checking small cuts for debris.