PDA

View Full Version : Ti anodizing durability

stackie
07-27-2016, 11:46 AM
After reading the pain thread, I've decided to ask this here. Thinking about a ti frame for wet days. Probably be a disc with gravel capability.

Loving the anodizing like firefly and kualis doing. I wonder how durable it is, though. Would it be advisable to avoid in risky areas? Dropouts, chains stays, etc?

I know just plain old bare ti with some simple decals would be smart. I'm just into more interesting schemes.
Thx

Jon

eBAUMANN
07-27-2016, 12:18 PM
it fades over time, yes, like most other anodized things (think black king headsets turning purple-brown from the sun).
the amount of fade will be determined by the amount of outdoor use.

what exactly makes an area "risky" for anodizing?
its a surface treatment.

verbs4us
07-27-2016, 05:27 PM
This spring I was at Signature Cycles in Greenwich, Conn. Waiting for something, I was chatting with the mechanic, who was working on a very nice Ti Moots. We got to talking about finishes and, in his opinion, the Firefly finish is "more durable than most." I don't know what the Boston boys do that's any different, and that's one mechanic's opinion, but there you go.

stackie
07-27-2016, 05:34 PM
I think chain stays can be risky if one drops a chain. Think about retro frames that used to chrome the drive side stay for that reason. Dropouts because I often see paint chips in those areas on painted frames. Maybe even underside of the down tube due to rocks thrown up by front wheel.

I'm guessing the Ti anodizing does not affect the metal to any significant depth, so even a small scratch would probable remove the anodizing.

I hadn't thought about fading. That is another point to consider.

Thx,

Jon

Cat3roadracer
07-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Anodizing used to void a Merlin warrantee.

Not sure why I remember that.

Team Murray
07-29-2016, 01:03 AM
it fades over time, yes, like most other anodized things (think black king headsets turning purple-brown from the sun).
the amount of fade will be determined by the amount of outdoor use.

what exactly makes an area "risky" for anodizing?
its a surface treatment.

When I was working in the solar industry, I had to deal with fading problems. One of my vendors was actually the vendor for CK. The reason CK items fade is because they use an organic dye to create the color. First, a porous, clear anodize layer is put down. Second, an organic dye or inorganic salt is used to create the color in the pores. Finally, the pores are sealed. For items that are continually exposed to UV, like window frames and solar racking, an inorganic salt is used for coloring. Organic dyes can fade as quickly as two weeks of continuous UV exposure.

zennmotion
07-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Ti anodization is actually oxidation of the surface formed by an electrical current- oxidation is not always a good idea where the metal is thin. Different colors can be controlled by the amount of electrical current used which affects the thickness of the Titanium oxide, which results in different optical properties. IIRC, greens and purples are higher voltage, blues and yellows lower voltage. I don't believe that the colors fade though, unless the oxidation is thinned or removed, but not just by sunlight- Chris king headsets are dyed aluminum, a different process altogether. Is there a physicist in the house for a more thorough explanation? I'm just a poser-

malcolm
07-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Interesting

http://www.titaniumfinishing.com/capabilities/titanium-anodize-colors/

eBAUMANN
07-29-2016, 03:22 PM
alls i know is that the anodizing firefly and kualis are doing uses a painted on liquid of some-sort (followed by current being run through from some little toaster size machine) and can be removed with very sticky 3m tape...i could be wrong though, this is just my impression of it and what i have been told.