PDA

View Full Version : Any Paceliners in Narragansett RI?

huck*this
07-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Hey guys. Going to be on vacation the week of Aug 6th- the 13th and wondering if any Paceliners do group rides around there? Should be able to sneak out 1 night for a ride. Looking to do the Thursday night shop ride out of NBX.

pinkshogun
07-27-2016, 11:33 AM
ive done the thursday NBX ride. its no drop on the way out and gets heated about half way back. various abilities on the ride so you wont have a problem. leaves at 615

overmyhead
07-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Wow I was just looking at that ride and wondering how it rolls.
I will be down there that week as well but alas, without my bike.

CPP
07-27-2016, 12:57 PM
I did a surfing trip to RI one year and have great memories of sleeping in my van in a parking lot, right on the beach, at Matunick. That was a year that a hurricane blew through RI. I can't remember what year that was or the name of the storm, but it was the real thing!

The local police knocked on the door of my van, the night that the storm was supposed to blow through, and told me that I should evacuate and go to the local high school auditorium to pass the night, as the parking lot, where I was parked, would probably be under water.

The next day, I had great waves at Point Judith!!!!

RI rocks!!

quattro
07-27-2016, 02:17 PM
I'll be down for the week of August 13 -20, just missing you. Typically ride Rt 1A from near art 138 to Pt. Judith lighthouse round trip or out back roads to make way to Daddy Bakes in Matunuck for loaf of fresh baked bread, then back to Gansett. Great riding in the area, love the beach!

OtayBW
07-27-2016, 03:36 PM
I used to ride with these guys (and gals) some back when I lived up the road:
http://www.nbwclub.org/

huck*this
07-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Wow great info guys! Thanks for the response. Do you know if they go by grade A B C or mph? Looking forward to a great workout while I'm down there and meeting some new people. Love the heated part on the way back. What I remember from riding around there on my own in years past is its dead flat so will enjoy the 20mi sprint ;)

overmyhead
07-28-2016, 01:52 PM
I got a response from NBX.
They said the Thursday night pace is pretty much a steady 16-17mph. No drop but some of the folks race in the last two miles or so.

pinkshogun
07-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Overmyhead...NBX rents bikes by the day or week

overmyhead
07-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Ah Pink, here's the story.
This would probably be a great thread starter because I'm sure there are lots of takes on it.
I have the capability to bring a bike with me for our week at the beach but I don't. We've been renting the same house for 18 years and I always leave the bike at home.
Why?
Well I love cycling and love the warm months as much as anyone. Very often my work schedule or circumstances interrupts the flow of my week and it's easy for four or five days to sneak by without me being able to get out on the road. I try to sneak in rides, get up early and go out, commute as much as I can but it still happens.
My wife is the best that you could ask for. She has never ever given me any flak of any kind for the amount of time and money that I spend on my bike(s). I always do try to keep a balance there though and try to be fair to her.
In short, life often gets in the way of my passion for the sport. I get bummed out once in a while. Sometimes put all kinds of pressure on myself to squeeze a ride in.
So...when we are at the beach house I take a week off everything. It's the only week of the year that I don't let myself feel like I need to do anything, be anywhere or please anyone. When I get home I usually feel rejuvenated and there's a fresh spring in my pedal stroke.
I love riding in Narragansett. I get down there three or four times each summer to ride and enjoy every second.
I may actually try to do the NBX ride the Thursday before we go down.
So there you go.
Sorry to be so long winded.

overmyhead
08-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I am riding NBX tonight (4th).
If anyone from here is down there introduce yourself.
I am Rick, I will have my maroon CAAD 5 with Campy, and will be wearing a light blue Tour de Cure jersey.