PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles are time machines?

paredown
07-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Coming back today, I passed through the neighborhood stand of pines--summer, pungent smell, light and shadow flicking past...

Instant flashback to riding around Nevada City the day before my only participation in that race.

For Proust it was madeleines--give me a bicycle anytime.

(i wish I had about 1/10 of that youthful fitness though)

verbs4us
07-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Every ride is a chance for absolution and to reinvent yourself. Funny, I don't feel that way about running.

parris
07-27-2016, 08:58 PM
great observation. I get hit with the same thing every fall when out on the bike. The smells quality of the light snaps me back to 10 years old on a weekend day. :)

I will add that at least for me the bike is even more than a time machine. I've stated before that for me the bicycle is simply "magic".

Hilltopperny
07-27-2016, 09:16 PM
I was thinking this just yesterday. I was riding the canalway trail on my new to me lht with 26" wheels for its inaugural ride and decided to follow the old railroad tracks where the trail ends. As I pedaled over some rough stuff and into the woods I began thinking about the trails across from my childhood home that I rode everyday on my bmx. It is very therapeutic and helps keep me centered.

Jad
07-28-2016, 10:22 AM
If I take my 'cross bike out to some local trails, I sometimes end up ripping around on my old BMX bike, nine years old and in the middle of a year-long summer.