PDA

View Full Version : Ergopower replacement hoods

reconstyle
07-26-2016, 09:37 PM
I switched from sram to campy on my new bike and I find that the campy hoods aren't all that great compared to the sram hoods. I find that my hands are kind of gravitated to falling/slipping off the outside of the hoods (I don't wear gloves) so I want to explore some other brands.

Has anyone had any experience with other brand hoods like hudz?

Brian Cdn
07-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Hudz work for me.. don't wear gloves either. Find them softer. Like the color options too.

YesNdeed
07-27-2016, 10:34 AM
I went back to real Campy hoods after attempting Hudz. I'm surprised to hear they're not to your liking. I think they work better than anything else I've tried, gloved, or my preference, gloveless.
At first I was in love with <$10 Hudz covers (eBay). They seemed to fit fine, and felt pretty good on the hands. In the heat, sweat made them super slippery, but hey, sub $10, I can deal. A couple months later, they become loose, rolling around on the brake hoods, like when out of the saddle. Then came the rips...never again.
I run Sram Red on my cross/gravel setup. Maybe I just prefer the Campy ergonomics, but I still think the Campy hood covers are better.

redearedslider5
07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Perhaps you need new hoods? I find brand new campy hoods to be super grippy, gloved or not.

bfd
07-27-2016, 11:46 AM
I went back to real Campy hoods after attempting Hudz. I'm surprised to hear they're not to your liking. I think they work better than anything else I've tried, gloved, or my preference, gloveless.
At first I was in love with <$10 Hudz covers (eBay). They seemed to fit fine, and felt pretty good on the hands. In the heat, sweat made them super slippery, but hey, sub $10, I can deal. A couple months later, they become loose, rolling around on the brake hoods, like when out of the saddle. Then came the rips...never again.
I run Sram Red on my cross/gravel setup. Maybe I just prefer the Campy ergonomics, but I still think the Campy hood covers are better.

Agree, I found Hudz covers to not be very good- become slippery, loose, roll on the brake hoods and eventually rip! Get Campy! I

f you want cheaper prices, go to the UK retailers - with the Brexit, there's a sale going on! ;) Depending on the model, you can usually get genuine Campy hoods for about $25/pair. Good Luck!

Veloo
07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
I use the Far and Near brand just for the color.
They are close to OEM but still not as good as original campy.

Fair wheel bikes carries them.

jemoryl
07-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Speaking of Campy hoods, I have been using Campy shifters for awhile but have never replaced any until now. People say to cut the old ones off, but what is the best way to put on the new? I'm speaking about mid-2000 Centaur 10-spd levers. Lubricate with rubbing alcohol was one tip I was given. Any others?

reconstyle
07-27-2016, 12:34 PM
My hoods are definitely not worn out as the groupset is only a month old. Maybe I just need to get used to it or play with my fit a little bit as it's also on a new bike.

Anyhow, I did order the hudz as they were like $10 shipped for the set, so we'll see.

YesNdeed
07-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Speaking of Campy hoods, I have been using Campy shifters for awhile but have never replaced any until now. People say to cut the old ones off, but what is the best way to put on the new? I'm speaking about mid-2000 Centaur 10-spd levers. Lubricate with rubbing alcohol was one tip I was given. Any others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNcZ6ibkb-4
I used Seventh Generation All-Purpose Natural Cleaner.
Installing them was as easy as it looks in the video.