PDA

View Full Version : Groundhogs

H.Frank Beshear
07-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Out on a group ride today and as we come to a stop I'm at the end of a group of 4-5. I'm still mid teens just coasting in and on of the guys yells at something by the road another guy swerves and before I know it a young groundhog has run under my wheels. Thump x2 poor little fellow, hit him right behind the head never even twitched. I have a cut straight across the tire of about a cm or so. I'll glue it back and should be good as new, didn't flat so that a good thing. Never had a chance to try to avoid him just sat up and tried to stay upright. I offered to take him home and fry it for lunch with some gravy and butermilk biscuits but had no takers. Darn city folks any way. Wound up with about 45 miles on a beautiful day. Hope everyone had a wonderful fourth and was able to get some miles in. Frank

coylifut
07-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I did a stage race last weekend and during the tt a badger sauntered across the rode right in front of me with a gopher in it's mouth.

Out on a group ride today and as we come to a stop I'm at the end of a group of 4-5. I'm still mid teens just coasting in and on of the guys yells at something by the road another guy swerves and before I know it a young groundhog has run under my wheels. Thump x2 poor little fellow, hit him right behind the head never even twitched. I have a cut straight across the tire of about a cm or so. I'll glue it back and should be good as new, didn't flat so that a good thing. Never had a chance to try to avoid him just sat up and tried to stay upright. I offered to take him home and fry it for lunch with some gravy and butermilk biscuits but had no takers. Darn city folks any way. Wound up with about 45 miles on a beautiful day. Hope everyone had a wonderful fourth and was able to get some miles in. Frank

Elefantino
07-04-2006, 08:24 PM
We passed a former armadillo today. It had been former for at least a day. It has been warm. No wind was blowing.

Fortunately, that was the time we were cruising along in a lungbusting paceline at 28. We were able to avoid all but a whiff of it.

Shortly thereafter, I — like the armadillo — died. I don't do 28 long.