PDA

View Full Version : palos verdes city council meeting TONIGHT

ivanooze
07-26-2016, 06:25 PM
for anyone that lives in the southbay (southern california/los angeles area)
there will be a council meeting being held in palos verdes to fight for our right to ride our bikes in this city.

-for anyone that lives in the southbay area, or has even ridden in palos verdes before you will know that PV is known to have some of the best climbing spots in the LA area.
-our cycling lifestyle is being threatened though due to some disgruntled residents that are to impatient to let us ride our bikes in the area that they actually are considering putting a ban on cycling in PV which will never happen, but it hurts to think that there are people that are so dedicated to keep cyclists out of what i consider to be a cycling mecca.

-if coming to this meeting interests you, please come out and show your support for cycling in the southbay.

-here are the details:
340 Palos Verdes Dr W

meeting will start at 7:10

ptourkin
07-26-2016, 06:52 PM
This is Palos Verdes Estates.

SoCalSteve
07-26-2016, 07:17 PM
for anyone that lives in the southbay (southern california/los angeles area)
there will be a council meeting being held in palos verdes to fight for our right to ride our bikes in this city.

-for anyone that lives in the southbay area, or has even ridden in palos verdes before you will know that PV is known to have some of the best climbing spots in the LA area.
-our cycling lifestyle is being threatened though due to some disgruntled residents that are to impatient to let us ride our bikes in the area that they actually are considering putting a ban on cycling in PV which will never happen, but it hurts to think that there are people that are so dedicated to keep cyclists out of what i consider to be a cycling mecca.

-if coming to this meeting interests you, please come out and show your support for cycling in the southbay.

-here are the details:
340 Palos Verdes Dr W

meeting will start at 7:10

Thank you for the info! I ride my bike into PV a few times a week. I had no idea this was going on. Too bad I cannot make it due to prior commitments.

Please keep us informed regarding what went on in this meeting.

Thank you! :beer:

Louis
07-26-2016, 07:43 PM
There are a number of ways to fight this sort of thing, but one of the simplest and most effective is to get local cyclists to show up in as great numbers as possible and say that they too live there and they ride, and that cycling is an important part of living there. That roads aren't just for local cars, but for local bikes too.

ptourkin
07-27-2016, 06:34 PM
There are a number of ways to fight this sort of thing, but one of the simplest and most effective is to get local cyclists to show up in as great numbers as possible and say that they too live there and they ride, and that cycling is an important part of living there. That roads aren't just for local cars, but for local bikes too.

Yes. This was done quite successfully there. See Seth Davidson's blog.

pasadena
07-27-2016, 06:53 PM
https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/

the council voted:

To pull down and throw away the evil and distasteful “Bike Laws Strictly Enforced” signs.
To put up the beautiful and majestic “3 Feet It’s the Law” signs.
To send the “Bikes May Use the Fuggin Lane” signs back to committee for further study.

I staggered out and pedaled home, immensely grateful to the city council and to each one of these people for showing up and democracying:

Lane Reid
Ivan Fernandez
Bob Spalding
Joey Cooney
Patrick Noll
Yasuko Davidson
Seth Davidson
Craig Eggers
Joann Zwagermann
Brent Davis
Greg Seyranian
Tom Duong