PDA

View Full Version : My helmet straps are nasty.

veggieburger
07-26-2016, 03:39 PM
They used to be a bright, shiny off-white, now they are a dark black-grey, the color of old winter snow and salt piled at the side of the road. Yuck.

They seem to be fixed to the helmet, so I have to figure out some sort of soaking method.

What do you do? Soak in a bowl of borax or soapy water or..? Help please!

christian
07-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Be proud.

(Next you'll be asking about washing gloves!)

Brian Cdn
07-26-2016, 03:48 PM
Spray some Resolve on the straps and scrub with a nail brush..

Liquid Dawn works pretty good too.

pinkshogun
07-26-2016, 04:34 PM
i put my helmet in the dishwasher when it becomes too nasty to wear

cinema
07-26-2016, 04:56 PM
had the same problem and made sure my next helmet had black straps. i tried the dishwasher, soaking the straps in detergent, scrubbing with alcohol, even tried cleaning with heavy duty solvent. make it your commuter helmet and splurge on a nice new lid

hummus_aquinas
07-26-2016, 04:59 PM
I too, experience the helmet funk. Has anyone used the Muc-off helmet cleaner (http://www.randombikeparts.com/products/muc-off-199-13-5-ounce-foam-fresh-bike-helmet-lining-deodorizer-cleaner-new?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=25158773255&gclid=CNyhg4WQks4CFUZqfgodiCUMCw)? I think Pro Gold has something similar, too. I haven't used any of those products myself but I am definitely looking for a solution to the head funk

melac1
07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
I've used the mucoff helmet cleaner before and it really foams up to clean the straps and cover up the helmet stink. Recommended

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

54ny77
07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
soak helmet in giant bowl that'll fit the thing and fill bowl with warm water and 2-3 cups of baking soda and a little bit of dawn dish soap.

will work wonders.

franswa
07-26-2016, 06:22 PM
+1 dishwasher. However, no heated dry cycle.

brendonk
07-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Had the same issue. Spoke to a Giro rep at ride the Rockies years ago and he said to simply wear it into the shower after a ride. Let it soak, soap it up, rinse it off. I use my shampoo/body wash and it works great. I use my towel to gently get the excess water out of the straps and pads. Hook it over a pipe in the basement, dry for the ride the next day.

ultraman6970
07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Havent tried in my last helmet but in the previous one i was able to remove the straps, put them in the washer machine and good to go.

veggieburger
07-26-2016, 06:38 PM
I'll soak straps in a bowl of warm soapy water and report back. Pads can be cleaned and replaced easily, too bad the straps can't....cuz they're gross. Hopefully I have some success cleaning them!

saab2000
07-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Had the same issue. Spoke to a Giro rep at ride the Rockies years ago and he said to simply wear it into the shower after a ride. Let it soak, soap it up, rinse it off. I use my shampoo/body wash and it works great. I use my towel to gently get the excess water out of the straps and pads. Hook it over a pipe in the basement, dry for the ride the next day.

This is my tactic too and I do it after almost every ride. Take the pads out and rinse them under the tap. Put them on my drying rack to dry. Hang the helmet by the straps on the rack and it's clean and good to go for the next day.

SoCalSteve
07-26-2016, 07:35 PM
They used to be a bright, shiny off-white, now they are a dark black-grey, the color of old winter snow and salt piled at the side of the road. Yuck.

They seem to be fixed to the helmet, so I have to figure out some sort of soaking method.

What do you do? Soak in a bowl of borax or soapy water or..? Help please!

I just buy a new helmet...:p

pjm
07-26-2016, 07:42 PM

I'm just imagining how ridiculous that would look, but I'm sure it works.:eek::D

crownjewelwl
07-27-2016, 09:42 AM
i spray with diluted rubbing alcohol after each ride

nateincarnate
07-27-2016, 12:26 PM

+1 for this. I'll often put it in my dish rack or put it in a sunny spot. UV helps kill off the bacteria stink and dries out the pads + straps. If I don't wash my strap after 3 or so sweaty rides, I'll get acne in the area of my helmet straps.

PaulE
07-27-2016, 01:20 PM
I bring my helmets into the shower after every ride in hot weather. Lather up some soap, wash the straps, pads and helmet inside and out and rinse. Then I let it air dry. I have 4 helmets currently and rotate them so it doesn't matter to me how long it takes them to dry. I have helmets with black, gray, blue and red straps, they all look great color-wise. If you don't get the color back, at least you'll know they are clean.

christian
07-27-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm just imagining how ridiculous that would look, but I'm sure it works.:eek::D

I only wear shower helmet when drinking shower beer.

Chris
07-27-2016, 01:29 PM
I've always soaked my helmet in the sink with some vinegar added to the water.

KidWok
07-27-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't tend to be a crusty guy, but I've always just brought my helmet into the shower as well.

Tai

phoenix
07-27-2016, 02:13 PM
I wash mine in the shower with soap and hang it to dry. Done deal.

veggieburger
07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Well soaking in soap and water did virtually nothing. Into the shower it is! My worry was that it would contribute to premature plastic/foam separation, but with all you good folks doing it, I'm sure it's ok.

thanks!

54ny77
07-27-2016, 02:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vah7kzdQ7ew

;)

I've always soaked my helmet in the sink with some vinegar added to the water.

Ozrider
08-04-2016, 04:08 AM
Muc Off helmet cleaner works really well.
In hot weather when straps gets sweaty I just wash off with soap and water in the shower and sometimes use a nail brush to clean off sunscreen or dirty marks.
Like any clothing item I like to keep helmets hygienic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verbeke06
08-04-2016, 11:08 AM
My helmet is also so so so gross. I'm going to try the shower method and she how that goes. I think in 2 years of wearing it, its never been washed.

54ny77
08-04-2016, 11:13 AM
that is, in a word, disgusting. :bike:

My helmet is also so so so gross. I'm going to try the shower method and she how that goes. I think in 2 years of wearing it, its never been washed.

enr1co
08-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I bring my helmets into the shower after every ride in hot weather. Lather up some soap, wash the straps, pads and helmet inside and out and rinse. Then I let it air dry. I have 4 helmets currently and rotate them so it doesn't matter to me how long it takes them to dry. I have helmets with black, gray, blue and red straps, they all look great color-wise. If you don't get the color back, at least you'll know they are clean.

Also bring my helmet into the shower w/ me, along with my oakleys to rinse off after every ride. Sometimes will also wash and rinse my kit while in shower. Gotta save water here w/ the california drought.