PDA

View Full Version : dumoulin breaks arm, rides four days later

chiasticon
07-26-2016, 08:19 AM
meanwhile, I broke a metacarpal on memorial day, didn't ride for six weeks. :mad:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dumoulin-back-training-for-olympics-after-tour-de-france-fracture-video

my guess is it was nowhere near as serious as the article makes it out to be. either that or he's riding with some serious pain meds in his system.

Joxster
07-26-2016, 10:26 AM
High pain threshold, I dislocated my shoulder during a race and finished before getting it popped back in. I've had a mechanic tape shut a wound so it can get stiched up later that day. What pro cyclists do is generally against normal medical advice, we're all messed up in the head :banana: :banana: :banana:

Avincent52
07-26-2016, 01:55 PM
He's not even wearing a splint?
TD's nuts, but I'm glad that he's going to ride in the Olympics. I'll be rooting for him.

bikinchris
07-26-2016, 02:38 PM
High pain threshold, I dislocated my shoulder during a race and finished before getting it popped back in. I've had a mechanic tape shut a wound so it can get stiched up later that day. What pro cyclists do is generally against normal medical advice, we're all messed up in the head :banana: :banana: :banana:

Just ask Laurens ten Dam. Would you (the average Joe) finish the tour stage looking like a mummy? Nope.

chiasticon
07-27-2016, 07:36 AM
from the sounds of it, he had some wrist issues and a fracture of the radius near there. so possibly a hairline and not a full/clean break like the article makes it sound. if it had been, he's severely delaying recovery by not immobilizing it; tough guy or not, that's not smart. but if it is just a hairline and it's closer to his wrist area, then I totally get him being able to still do the TT (although out of the saddle efforts may be difficult).

but yeah, I agree; I like the guy and hope he does well at the Olympics.

ripvanrando
07-27-2016, 08:11 AM
I broke my left radial head 5 hours into a 600K and finished the Brevet.

MattTuck
07-27-2016, 08:14 AM
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The-Black-Night-monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-591472_800_441.jpg

bikingshearer
07-27-2016, 06:09 PM

And paid to be messed up in the head. :D

It is amazing what people of all walks of life have put up with when their livelihood is at stake. And it isn't just athletes. Many is the factory worker, farm worker or mine worker who has toughed it out through significant injuries or other health issues in order to stay on the job. They have tended not to make the 6:00 news, though.