PDA

View Full Version : My first steel bike, where to keep it?

yancy0303
07-26-2016, 07:00 AM
I just bought my first steel frame (All-City Mr. Pink) and was wondering if I should keep it inside my house instead of the garage which is not climate controlled. Also, I live in Florida so it is very humid and I live about 300 yards from the Gulf of Mexico, so there is salt in the air.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Cicli
07-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Bikes are always kept in the house.

/thread.

stien
07-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Yup.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/cleverbastid/1983%20Colnago%20Superissimo/IMG_1785.jpg (http://s660.photobucket.com/user/cleverbastid/media/1983%20Colnago%20Superissimo/IMG_1785.jpg.html)

Slow Eddie
07-26-2016, 07:15 AM
Bikes are always kept in the house.

/thread.

+1.

Srsly tho, I lived in in similar conditions for several years (Rockaway Beach, NY) with steel bikes kept in the garage and they were fine. Just stay on top of paint chips and dings before they start to rust, which may happen marginally faster than in a drier, less salty environment.

Hilltopperny
07-26-2016, 07:31 AM
I keep mine in the house. Of course that can cause a myriad of problems with pets or family. I currently have a full room dedicated to my bikes.

chiasticon
07-26-2016, 07:31 AM
yeah your frame is treated to prevent rust on the inside already. just keep on top of paint chips and potential rust spots on the outside of it and you should be fine keeping it anywhere.

that said, anything other than beater bikes always go inside for me. including my all city mr pink, when I had it (then again, it was my rain and winter bike; go figure...).

oldpotatoe
07-26-2016, 07:58 AM
I just bought my first steel frame (All-City Mr. Pink) and was wondering if I should keep it inside my house instead of the garage which is not climate controlled. Also, I live in Florida so it is very humid and I live about 300 yards from the Gulf of Mexico, so there is salt in the air.

Inside...I had 2 bikes stolen out of my garage in SOCAL...

rePhil
07-26-2016, 08:12 AM
I don't like to be negative, but at 300' from the Gulf in Florida you will experience rust & corrosion. Not only on your bikes but everything else metal as well. Keeping them clean and inside will slow things down, but won't stop the inevitable.

simonov
07-26-2016, 08:22 AM
I don't like to be negative, but at 300' from the Gulf in Florida you will experience rust & corrosion. Not only on your bikes but everything else metal as well. Keeping them clean and inside will slow things down, but won't stop the inevitable.

This. I live in South Florida about a quarter mile from the bay and even inside the house I have to take care of my steel bikes to ward off rust. In the garage they would get trashed.

weisan
07-26-2016, 08:27 AM
As a teenager growing up in Singapore, my parents bought a condo close to the beach. I had my first real road bike, a lugged steel italian Olmo. We kept our bikes outside on the corridor with sea winds blowing straight at us all the time. It really was an uphill task trying to keep the frame and the components from rusting. I ended up spraying and coating the whole damn thing with WD40 hoping that it will slow down the process. What do I know as a teenager back then, just trying to protect my investment and precious. There's only that much you can do, rust will still find their way in. But really, it will take a loooooong time for them to completely eat up the whole frame or render it un-ride-able. My Olmo survived for almost 20+ years before it was stolen out of my brother-in-law's house which I had loaned to him while I was overseas. I bet it's still rideable, just not looking as nice as it was the first day I bought it.

Mr. Pink
07-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Wow. They named a bike after me?

mecse
07-26-2016, 08:51 AM

All City coats their steel frames in a rust preventing undercoat, inside and out. You've got a winner! Just don't scratch that black layer too much. The only place my Mr Pink has a couple of scratches is wheel clamp spot + the star nut inside the fork.

You should be fine. Don't fret.

melac1
07-26-2016, 08:57 AM
Has to be inside for me. I've had too many bikes stolen from my garage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mr. Pink
07-26-2016, 08:57 AM

How's your car? That should be a warning. I lived close to the water in Florida once and also on a barrier island in NJ for a summer, and it was scary how my car was damaged just, you know, being there.

cp43
07-26-2016, 09:06 AM
If you're feeling paranoid about rust inside the frame, you can apply Frame Saver, or similar, as part of your maintenance routine.

Cicli
07-26-2016, 09:20 AM
If you're feeling paranoid about rust inside the frame, you can apply Frame Saver, or similar, as part of your maintenance routine.

All City already coats their frames.

p nut
07-26-2016, 09:36 AM
...But really, it will take a loooooong time for them to completely eat up the whole frame or render it un-ride-able...

Completely agree. Never had a steel frame rust through on me yet.

cp43
07-26-2016, 09:56 AM
All City already coats their frames.

My understanding was that products like Frame Saver should be reapplied periodically. I've been feeling guilty for a year or two now for not reapplying it to some of my steel bikes.

Is the All City coating permanent, like the paint on the outside of the bike? If so, that's a great feature.

Thanks,

Chris

Cicli
07-26-2016, 09:57 AM
My understanding was that products like Frame Saver should be reapplied periodically. I've been feeling guilty for a year or two now for not reapplying it to some of my steel bikes.

Is the All City coating permanent, like the paint on the outside of the bike? If so, that's a great feature.

Thanks,

Chris

Correct. Its a hard coating. Its not a wax like substance like framesaver or HDMP.

Gartenmeister
07-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Of course, the correct answer is "in the house" for the reasons already stated.

I bought a Lemond Victoire out of Florida a few years ago. Being ti the frame was OK, but the components were all tarnished, pitted & corroded from the salt air. I've never seen anything like it, and I have been through quite a few bikes. I am now more wary of bikes coming from coastal areas, particularly FL.

druptight
07-26-2016, 10:26 AM
I live on a thin strip of land in Maine with brackish water at either end of the street. Bikes stay in the garage in the summer and in the basement in the winter, and they're all steel. No issues to speak of. As mentioned previously, if you're taking care of it and following proper rust prevention procedures, you'll be fine in my experience. By the time it rusts out in 50 years, you'll be ready for a new whip.

classtimesailer
07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I used to live on the beach without a garage and my bike got pretty corroded pretty quickly. Now I live 5 blocks from the beach with bikes in the garage and they (all steel) are fine for 20 years. The marine layer does nasty things to metal and coatings (treated or not). Keep it inside if practical.

rePhil
07-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I am not a chemist / scientist, but from personal observation there is a difference regarding the effects of saltwater / air between Maine, Coastal Florida and other parts of the US. My previous employer tests the effects of salt air and water on the marine products they manufacture. I asked why we tested in SW Florida and was told it was as about as extreme as conditions could get.

I live on a thin strip of land in Maine with brackish water at either end of the street. Bikes stay in the garage in the summer and in the basement in the winter, and they're all steel. No issues to speak of. As mentioned previously, if you're taking care of it and following proper rust prevention procedures, you'll be fine in my experience. By the time it rusts out in 50 years, you'll be ready for a new whip.

druptight
07-26-2016, 11:47 AM
I am not a chemist / scientist, but from personal observation there is a difference regarding the effects of saltwater / air between Maine, Coastal Florida and other parts of the US. My previous employer tests the effects of salt air and water on the marine products they manufacture. I asked why we tested in SW Florida and was told it was as about as extreme as conditions could get.

I'm sure it has to do with humidity levels and the fact that in hot weather humidity tends to be higher near the ocean and our summer isn't overwhelmingly long. That said, if you properly protect your steel frame inside and out I see no reason a garage wouldn't be a perfectly safe place to be. A physical barrier to water touching the metal SHOULD be just as good as keeping the bike out of humidity. Obviously you have to keep up with the maintenance to ensure that barrier remains in place.

Ralph
07-26-2016, 11:56 AM
I live in humid Florida, about 50 miles from the coast. Anything I leave in my out building will rust. In the garage, it will not. There must be enough heat from car engines (I put 3 cars inside) and some effect from AC, to keep humidity down in garage.

bobswire
07-26-2016, 12:21 PM
I have a garage on the ground floor that is shared so I keep my bikes in my flat (back porch)though I have carry my bike(s) up two flights so stairs but well worth it.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2h4hp37.jpg

eippo1
07-26-2016, 12:53 PM

OT, but have you hit the "new" Pepperell Cove Restaurant yet? Stopped by there on the way back from Boothbay and it was pretty good.

Ryun
07-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Im in Jacksonville florida. I have tried to keep bikes in the garage without a de humidifier and it just wont work.
The spokes, cables, cable guides will quickly go. Heck I had a 953 stainless bike start rusting in my garage. And while it will take a while for the frame to "rust through"' it can get in rough shape quickly.
If you cant keep it inside, buy a dehumidifier for the garage. That should do it

yancy0303
07-27-2016, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the responses everybody. I usually keep my bikes inside but space is at a premium with kids, so at some point the bikes got relegated to the garage. I really haven't gotten any rust on the steel parts (chain, cassette, bolts, etc) of my other bike and I keep my bikes well maintained. But I'll just keep the Mr Pink inside.

Stephen2014
07-27-2016, 06:05 AM
If there's no "Bonnie Situation" always keep a bike in the house.

cadence90
07-27-2016, 06:43 AM

Thanks,

Chris

Correct. Its a hard coating. Its not a wax like substance like framesaver or HDMP.

@Tihsepa, I think I know what you intend, but I also think that, to be clear, it is important to clarify to cp43 et al that there is an enormous difference between "permanent" and "hard coating".

A coating on a steel frame (or on any other material frame, for that matter) described as "...permanent, like the paint on the outside of the bike..." does not exist.
Paint. even powder-coated, is a hard coating, but is definitely not "permanent".

Unless there is some magic coating I do not know of yet.

Or titanium. :)

druptight
07-27-2016, 07:14 AM
OT, but have you hit the "new" Pepperell Cove Restaurant yet? Stopped by there on the way back from Boothbay and it was pretty good.

I have not. I'll have to check it out, is that where "The Cajun Lobster" used to be?

verbs4us
07-27-2016, 07:33 AM

Voila:

Mr. Pink
07-27-2016, 08:08 AM
When you have some down time, you should organize that bookshelf. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find. "That's where I left that thing!"

eippo1
07-27-2016, 08:41 AM
I have not. I'll have to check it out, is that where "The Cajun Lobster" used to be?

Yup, it's there. Looks like they are using a pretty simple menu and doing a good job with the food.

lookout2015
07-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Voila:

What hook / holder is that? I like it

benb
07-27-2016, 11:09 AM
I have an All City Space Horse that is about 3 years old, their rust treatment is pretty damn solid.

I ride my Space Horse right through the winter through snow, rain, salted roads, off road in the dirt, etc.. and it gets seriously battered by the salt, the only thing left on my bike stock is the wheelset and maybe the headset spacers. I've even had to replace the cable stops due to salt corrosion. I do my best to clean the salt off with alcohol but I don't have any easy way to bring it indoors to really clean it and sometimes it sits salted over.

Yet the frame looks pristine.. and I have had untreated steel frames that looked pretty bad after one season, this bike still cleans up really really well. I actually just replaced most of the components, the stock Tiagra got me 3 years for the most part.

Fantastic value for the money. I'd not worry about rust at all anytime soon.

verbs4us
07-27-2016, 05:35 PM
What hook / holder is that? I like it

The bookshelf--dump it all! The rack is from The Make Company in Montreal, in maple. Also available in Walnut. Not cheap, but well made:

http://www.themake.co/shop/make-bike-rack

bikingshearer
07-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody. I usually keep my bikes inside but space is at a premium with kids, so at some point the bikes got relegated to the garage. I really haven't gotten any rust on the steel parts (chain, cassette, bolts, etc) of my other bike and I keep my bikes well maintained. But I'll just keep the Mr Pink inside.

Get your priorities straight. Kids don't rust. Steel bikes can. Therefore, kids in the garage, bikes in the house. 'Tis only logical.