PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Campy Rear Shifter

Vientomas
07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
I recently moved all components to a new frame. 10 speed Centaur shifters and Derailleurs.

The right shifter for the rear derailleur now requires significantly greater pressure on the lever to shift.

I have yet get into it to investigate...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks!!

icepick_trotsky
07-25-2016, 01:19 PM
Sounds like extra friction in the cables somewhere.

Vientomas
07-25-2016, 02:30 PM
Sounds like extra friction in the cables somewhere.

Yeah, what I was thinking too. I guess I'll have to pull the cable from the housing.

It seems like the lever throw is extra long too...

carpediemracing
07-25-2016, 02:41 PM
+1 Extra friction in cable/housing.

Extra long throw indicates incomplete cable feed out, meaning the derailleur can't pull the cable out all the way. Therefore the first bit of throw is pulling in the slack before actually moving the derailleur.

You can confirm this by pulling the cable taut in the small cog. My guess is you won't be able to shift back into the small cog easily. It should shift fine going into larger cogs, slower and slower getting back to the small cog.

Possible causes:
- Bend in cable. Common if moving components from one bike to another. Bends don't line up the same on the new bike, putting a bend in the middle of a straight bit. Also common if trying to feed a cable through a poorly cut housing and bending the cable.
- Poorly cut housing. End is squished or the liner is crimped. If cable housing end is squished flat you should be able to gently compress the housing with a... err some plier that has an opening it in rather than parallel faces. Sort of squeeze it open, if you will. If liner is crimped best to replace it, unless you can do the same "squeeze open" trick on that as well.
- Missing strand. If at the derailleur you see that the cable is missing a strand, and at the shifter/head all the strands are there, then there's a partial strand sticking into something inbetween the two ends. New cable, unless you're really hard up. If you're hard up you unwind the strand to some point where it doesn't matter (like halfway down the downtube) and cut off the strand. Then solder or use a cut off cable end (to make a noodle) or otherwise fix the loose strand so it doesn't unravel anymore.

Those are the thoughts that pop into my head right away.

Vientomas
07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
Thank you for the ideas. I'll see what I can figure out this evening.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2016, 06:05 PM
I recently moved all components to a new frame. 10 speed Centaur shifters and Derailleurs.

The right shifter for the rear derailleur now requires significantly greater pressure on the lever to shift.

I have yet get into it to investigate...any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks!!

Cables, housing(burr?), under BB guide.

Ken Robb
07-25-2016, 09:18 PM
+1 Extra friction in cable/housing.

Extra long throw indicates incomplete cable feed out, meaning the derailleur can't pull the cable out all the way. Therefore the first bit of throw is pulling in the slack before actually moving the derailleur.

You can confirm this by pulling the cable taut in the small cog. My guess is you won't be able to shift back into the small cog easily. It should shift fine going into larger cogs, slower and slower getting back to the small cog.

Possible causes:
- Bend in cable. Common if moving components from one bike to another. Bends don't line up the same on the new bike, putting a bend in the middle of a straight bit. Also common if trying to feed a cable through a poorly cut housing and bending the cable.
- Poorly cut housing. End is squished or the liner is crimped. If cable housing end is squished flat you should be able to gently compress the housing with a... err some plier that has an opening it in rather than parallel faces. Sort of squeeze it open, if you will. If liner is crimped best to replace it, unless you can do the same "squeeze open" trick on that as well.
- Missing strand. If at the derailleur you see that the cable is missing a strand, and at the shifter/head all the strands are there, then there's a partial strand sticking into something inbetween the two ends. New cable, unless you're really hard up. If you're hard up you unwind the strand to some point where it doesn't matter (like halfway down the downtube) and cut off the strand. Then solder or use a cut off cable end (to make a noodle) or otherwise fix the loose strand so it doesn't unravel anymore.

Those are the thoughts that pop into my head right away.

He thought of everything I did and a bunch more! :banana: