PDA

View Full Version : Getting one's pancreas(s) kicked...

Dr. Doofus
04-04-2004, 01:19 PM
The Decrepit Doc Says:

He and I just found a great new weight-loss technique: just get a sudden and unexplained bout of pancreatitis, spend a week in the hospital, go without food for six days, and voila...maigrir cinq kilos...fantastique!

On the odd chance that anyone else has been hit by this crap, ever, how long does it take to get enough back to hop back on the bike? Our doctors, god bless 'em, just had the normal vague "resume activity gradually...blah...blah...blubblah...." What he and I want to know are *time frames* -- a week? a few days? quoi?

Kevan
04-04-2004, 03:30 PM
you got people to cater to both of your whims as you both lie about repairing? There's nothing like sending the ice water back to the kitchen because it's too cold.

There's nothing like having an excuse to ride slow and enjoy the scenery.

Bruce H.
04-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about ailment. Happy to hear about recovery. Pancreatitis is extremely serious. Some have died from it. Take your time and say bye bye to beer.
Bruce H.

Sandy
04-04-2004, 09:44 PM
Pancreatic disease can be quite lethal. Unfortunately, my mother, father, and sister all died from pancreatic cancer, one of the most, if not most lethal cancer. That is one significant reason why I decided to stop working and spend more time cycling and with my wife and daughter. I am 63 and my father and sister both died under 60.

Dr. D, sorry to hear about your illness but happy to see that you have recovered so well.

We all sometimes don't realize how very fortunate most of us are, for so many varied reasons. My participation in the forum, with the remarkable friendships that I have made, is one of the most positive aspects of my life. Cycling and great friendships, with genuine respect, care, and sensitivity give a core of richness and meaning to life that simply cannot be replaced, at least for me.

Sandy

Needs Help
04-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately, my mother, father, and sister all died from pancreatic cancer, one of the most, if not most lethal cancer.

Is it common for pancreatic cancer to run in families? I just had a friend die of pancreatic cancer, and it seems like when they detect it, it's too late. Do you undergo special tests looking for blood markers(?) or something else?

I'm very sorry to learn of your tragic losses. :(

gasman
04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Dr. Doofus-
Sorry to hear about your pancreatitis, it can be really painful. I hope you are well on the road to recovery.
Pancreatitis can be caused for a lot of different reasons, one of the most common is from gallstones. So if you get gallstone pancreatitis you just take out the gallbladder and you never have to worry again. Unfortunately it isn't always so simple. I surmise from your post that the docs couldn't figure out why you got this bout so it is called idiopathic pancreatitis, meaning "We have no clue" As a result you get the vague answers about getting on your bike. I think the best thing to do is just listen to your body, if you can eat carbos and take in fluids fine; just start out and see how you feel after a short ride. If you do well just take it a day at a time but if you start having abdominal pain, back off , and if it gets bad obviously go see your doctor.
The one thing you really want to avoid is ending up with chronic pancreatitis as this markedly increases you risk for pancreatic cancer. Avoid alcohol and tylenol. :no: There are a whole list of drugs that can also cause pancreatitis but I'm sure your docs went over that list. There are no good blood tests for pancreatic cancer and like many of you know, once it is detected the prognosis is poor. :crap: I also know several people who have died from it. I'm also sorry for your losses.
So get out there and ride. Life is short and enjoy each day. Nobody ever said on their death bed that they wished they had spent more time at work.
I don't play a doctor on TV but I am an MD.