PDA

View Full Version : Flat Saddles

pakora
07-24-2016, 10:52 PM
After a month or two of trying out a few saddles, I've determined that I prefer a flat profile saddle. I just put my old Regal back on after throwing in the towel on a Selle Anatomica and even for a short slow 20 mile ride today I could feel it the whole time while my junk went numb. Previous attempts with a Toupe and Antares proved similar.

Who makes a 150-160mm wide saddle with a flat profile? Looking at Spesh Power, but what else is there?

FlashUNC
07-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Fizik Arione?

cadence90
07-24-2016, 11:23 PM
OP wants much wider, 155-160mm.

I love and have used only Ariones for years, so I don't really know what is out there now in the wide range.

Climb01742
07-25-2016, 06:10 AM
I think the Ergon SR3 comes in a 155 width.

moobikes
07-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Specialized Toupe is pretty flat and comes in 155mm.

stephenmarklay
07-25-2016, 06:22 AM
I went from a SA to a Cambium C17. It is harder but I like it.

echelon_john
07-25-2016, 06:50 AM
Specialized Chicane

SpeedyChix
07-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour, it's now discontinued and was marketed as a women's saddle. 155 width, very flat.
Have two black and two white ones that will be making their way to the classifieds.

christian
07-25-2016, 07:49 AM
My impression is that the Regale is flat and wide (as opposed to the Regal which is wide, but more laterally curved). What don't you like about it?

Pastashop
07-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour, it's now discontinued and was marketed as a women's saddle. 155 width, very flat.

I have one, I think. In white. Let me know if anyone is interested - I can snap a pic.

Edit: it's labeled "Glamour", but not Aspide, strictly speaking. But flattish.

Seems like most folks preferring flat saddles used to gravitate to Regal or to Cambium nowadays.

pakora
07-25-2016, 09:34 AM
My impression is that the Regale is flat and wide (as opposed to the Regal which is wide, but more laterally curved). What don't you like about it?

Thanks for correcting me christian, I have a Regal. And yes, it's that lateral curve that doesn't agree with me.

Toupe I've tried (in 143) and was better than any of the ones in my last 1000 or so miles on a Toupe, an Antares and a Selle Anatomica. It's on my list to buy new after trying others (unless you got one :)).

pakora
07-26-2016, 09:22 AM
splitting the difference between SpeedyChix and Pastashop I've nabbed a Glamour as my next one to try.

Chicane looks pretty round though:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2010/04/07/1270630782834-19zxexr9a45mi-115-80.jpg

guido
07-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Have you tried a Cobb? The Randee works real well for me, and I suffer badly from these issues on other saddles...

JAGI410
07-26-2016, 09:31 AM
Bontrager Kovee. It's quite flat but very comfortable.

reconstyle
07-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Looking at Spesh Power

They are definitely not flat.

http://www.bicycling.com/sites/bicycling.com/files/speciazlied-power-saddle-profile-728.jpg

pakora
07-26-2016, 09:50 AM
huh, I was going on what it looked like in my hands but I guess I wasn't in close inspection mode. It's certainly not as humped/curved as a Regal though.

Climb01742
07-26-2016, 10:16 AM
As someone who is also going through saddle issues, and is also discovering that flat saddles seem to work better...

It's important to remember that flat goes in two directions. Flat nose to tail and flat side to side. Not easy finding saddles that are flat (or at least flat-ish) in both planes.

reconstyle
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
As someone who is also going through saddle issues, and is also discovering that flat saddles seem to work better...

It's important to remember that flat goes in two directions. Flat nose to tail and flat side to side. Not easy finding saddles that are flat (or at least flat-ish) in both planes.

Probably because it's not very ergonomic? Might as well just cut a seat from a piece of plywood if you want flat on both planes.

pakora
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
From experience with only one saddle, but it being dramatic enough, side to side is definitely the thing that I can't have, but the front to back dip is what I didn't like about the Antares. It felt like it wanted to stick me in a single place, almost like I was sunk in, not dissimilar to to what Selle Anatomica calls the "hammock effect" that their saddles are designed to achieve.

TEMPLE
07-26-2016, 10:26 AM
I also like flat and wide (155mm) saddles. So far, the best ones I have found are the Giant branded saddles. I know, sacrilege! I also wear Pearl Izumi and my handlebars don't match my stem. But, my ass doesn't hurt.

Anyways, I found that the Connect fit particularly well. The Contact was also good. Better yet? I can often find these saddles for $5-10 in the take-off bins at bike shops.

TEMPLE

Ralph
07-26-2016, 11:05 AM
I've put Specialized Power in 155 on everything I ride. Because of it's design....was able to go from 143 to 155 on this saddle....for more support (I'm 5' 10" and 155 lbs) . Nothing is really perfect for this 75 year old butt, but after trying about everything out there, settled on Power. I can do 50 mile rides again....no issues. Just finished a ride a few minutes ago....no problems.

steamer
07-26-2016, 11:11 AM
I like flat in both planes as well.

A front to back dip puts too much pressure on my junk, and too much side to side roundedness puts too much pressure on my prostate area.

I have been looking at the Rivet Independence.

Like a B17 but with properly designed rails, center slot, and less width.

guido
07-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Probably because it's not very ergonomic? Might as well just cut a seat from a piece of plywood if you want flat on both planes.

More perhaps more ergonomic for some folks? From my experience seems to suggest that having one's sit bones supported on a level or higher plane than the center/nose area of the saddle is the key. On a lot of saddles the center part is higher than the sit bone support area. This causes instant issues...

crossjunkee
07-26-2016, 11:21 AM
I've had a hard time with saddles lately. Everything from Toupe's, Romin's, Phenom's, Alante's, Arione, you name it. I currently trying the Selle Italia Flite Carbonio flow and so far so good.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/selle-italia-flite-kit-carbonio-flow-saddle-review#LDrEcjlhpkULDTdA.97

guido
07-26-2016, 11:23 AM
I have been looking at the Rivet Independence.

The Rivet Independence didn't work for me. Too curved in the center section. The center cutout didn't help...

steamer
07-26-2016, 11:45 AM
The Rivet Independence didn't work for me. Too curved in the center section. The center cutout didn't help...

Sorry to hear that.

I would think the Diablo (narrower than the Independence by 10mm) would have the same basic shape.

I have been dithering over the Diablo and Independence - which is better.

I get outer leg/butt chafing with a B17 because it's too wide. Prolly should try the Diablo. My sit bones are only 110mm apart.

Here is something interesting that shows the shape of the Diablo pretty well: https://cyclingcoder.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/rivet-diablo-brooks-swift-comparison/

Climb01742
07-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Cobb would disagree. Ergon would disagree. Fizik Tundra would disagree. Specialized Toupe would disagree. No saddle, or shape, works for everyone, so none is 'right'. Equally, none is 'wrong'.

LeadoutTrain5
07-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Fizik Arrione's are pretty nice.

benb
07-26-2016, 01:58 PM
It's not 155, it's only 145 but I am finding the modern Selle Italia Flite (just the regular one) to be really fantastic. I have it on one bike, I've got it dialed in and it's just about disappearing at this point although I haven't gone on a really long ride yet. (I can generally don't need to do so to know though.) I've just gotten another one and I'm going to put it on my gravel bike next time it's not 100+ degrees in the garage.

You don't need a cutout if the saddle is sufficiently flat to keep your sit bones supported in a way that raises your soft tissue off the saddle.. the Flite really feels like that to me. Moreso thats some of the older designs of the same saddle.. It's kind of built up under the sit bone areas but overall very flat side to side and front to back.

danield
07-26-2016, 02:24 PM
I think the Ergon SR3 comes in a 155 width.

it does and the ergons are very flat saddles

guido
07-26-2016, 02:31 PM
I get outer leg/butt chafing with a B17 because it's too wide. Prolly should try the Diablo. My sit bones are only 110mm apart.

Here is something interesting that shows the shape of the Diablo pretty well: https://cyclingcoder.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/rivet-diablo-brooks-swift-comparison/

Another one for you to try might be the Brooks Imperial it has a cutout and laces to keep the skirts of the leather saddle from flaring...

That lacing trick might be worth trying on any other leather saddle that works otherwise...

Interesting article on the Diablo... Thanks!

steamer
07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
Another one for you to try might be the Brooks Imperial it has a cutout and laces to keep the skirts of the leather saddle from flaring...

I actually strongly considered that one but I can't stand how far forward the oddball/old-fashioned Brooks rail design puts the saddle.

I gather the Cambium line has a modern rail design, so I am puzzled why Brooks can't fix their older models.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2016, 03:24 PM
After a month or two of trying out a few saddles, I've determined that I prefer a flat profile saddle. I just put my old Regal back on after throwing in the towel on a Selle Anatomica and even for a short slow 20 mile ride today I could feel it the whole time while my junk went numb. Previous attempts with a Toupe and Antares proved similar.

Who makes a 150-160mm wide saddle with a flat profile? Looking at Spesh Power, but what else is there?

Ya sure? Sleepy winky, try a SMP.

benb
07-26-2016, 03:28 PM
I suppose it might not be an issue if the particular saddle was wide enough but even though I am not prone at all to the sleepy winky issue SMPs haven't worked for me.. my sit bones end up being propped on diagonal surfaces, way easier to cause issues on long rides on bumpy terrain. Kind of had that problem with the Arione I used most of the year so far, although a wider Arione would eliminate that issue I think. Arione is still domed side to side though.

I forget what it's called but the really wide Fizik saddle.. only one that ever made me go numb. Got that off in a hurry.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2016, 03:37 PM

spacemen3
07-26-2016, 03:41 PM
The Velo Senso VL-1261 men's saddle (aka Velo Blast M) is a flat saddle. It's not the lightest, but the perforations make it comfortable in the heat.

guido
07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
I actually strongly considered that one but I can't stand how far forward the oddball/old-fashioned Brooks rail design puts the saddle.

I gather the Cambium line has a modern rail design, so I am puzzled why Brooks can't fix their older models.

Given my short Femurs I like how far forward I can get a Brooks. Lots of saddles I can't get far enough forward.

Unfortunately I can't sit on the darned things. :eek:

Ray
07-27-2016, 05:20 AM
I've been riding Koobie saddles for several years now. I'm pretty sure the one I've got (on 3 bikes, Brooks on the other 2) is the Xenon. Firm, flat, and pretty wide - I think about 155. Has a center cutout too which doesn't hurt. The shape might be uncomfortable if you ride up by the nose much, but the back of the saddle is perfect for me.

Before that I had pretty good luck with Specialized saddles - I don't recall the model names but pretty flat and could be found in wider sizes...

-Ray

oldpotatoe
07-27-2016, 05:33 AM

Oppps, yup, like SMP..sorry for the dupe..on iphone..