PDA

View Full Version : Which Serotta best fit my needs

bikemo15
07-04-2006, 11:35 AM
I don't know a whole lot about bikes and fit and I am searching for a bike that fits my needs. I like to ride about 30-40 miles every other day. I ride as fast as I can withstand and then I turn around and ride casually home, sometimes I reverse it and ride easy for 15-20 miles then race home. The bike I have now (Fondriest Monumental) feels fine when I'm pushing hard but
when I'm riding easy it feels uncomfortable in my back and arms/elbows. The pain occurs whether I start slow or when I'm doing the easy ride in the second half so I know the pain isn't caused by fatigue. I took the bike to my local shop and they played around with fitting, adjusting seat, stem, and pedals saying I was tuned in as best as I could be with a standard geometry bike. I am thinking a custom bike might help and my shop has been suggesting it for a couple of years. Which bike best suits racing hard and also good for an easy paced ride. I've looked all over the Serotta site at frame comparisons, materials etc. but they don't list what the bike is made for. Litespeeds catalogue has the frame and then the recommendations for racing, touring, climbing, all a rounder etc. What are the recommended riding styles for Serottas road bikes?

Serpico
07-04-2006, 11:41 AM
the Serotta frames are classified by the materials used (steel, ti, mixed material, carbon) and the complexity of the tubeset and build

the intended use is determined by you when you order, ie quick handling bike, rapid tour, cross bike, etc

so you can choose the material you want, price range, and then determine what you want it for

made to order

good luck

bikemo15
07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Can a bike be made for racing fast and riding granny-style and still be comfortable for each? They're extreme oppisites, would i have to choose one style of riding over the other?

Fixed
07-04-2006, 01:03 PM
bro fierte steel best buy you'll be happy or get a cda.
cheers

palincss
07-04-2006, 01:31 PM
The bike I have now (Fondriest Monumental) feels fine when I'm pushing hard but when I'm riding easy it feels uncomfortable in my back and arms/elbows. The pain occurs whether I start slow or when I'm doing the easy ride in the second half so I know the pain isn't caused by fatigue. I took the bike to my local shop and they played around with fitting, adjusting seat, stem, and pedals saying I was tuned in as best as I could be with a standard geometry bike.

I see you have not messed with handlebars. I wonder if a deep drop bar that gave you a high position for your relaxed, easy riding and a low position for your aggressive hard riding might not be the ticket.

saab2000
07-04-2006, 01:36 PM
bro fierte steel best buy you'll be happy or get a cda.
cheers

Word

eddief
07-04-2006, 01:41 PM
then decide what vehicle. See a trusted fitter, pay to get it done right. Show them you now and tell them where it hurts. Try to set up current bike as closely as you can to the recommended dimensions. With funny stems and set back posts you should be able to get close...probably. Ride it that way and see if it works for you. Then either keep it or tweak it with a new bike.

I have a tall, relaxed, longish custom Steve Rex. It's comfy as heck, but would do a fine job if there were a racer in the saddle. It's the funny car of custom bikes. Now all the parts are silver and the bar tape is a deep green.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=767&highlight=rex

abscar
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Should this 230lb rider get a CDA now or wait until next spring and get a Nove? I have a custom steel single speed and I'm impressed with it's stiffness and the extra weight over aluminum is not really noticeable. I split my time between my mountain bikes and my road bike and when I'm on the road bike, I'll only do the occasional fast group ride. However I really liked the ride and performance of my former Madone SL. I'm guessing a weight penalty of about a pound and a half for a steel frame. Any help would be appreiciated.

scrooge
07-04-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm guessing a weight penalty of about a pound and a half for a steel frame. .

I'm guessig that your guess is high. Then again, I don't really care about weight--I also weigh 230 and a pound a half isn't going to make much difference.

SoCalSteve
07-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Should this 230lb rider get a CDA now or wait until next spring and get a Nove? I have a custom steel single speed and I'm impressed with it's stiffness and the extra weight over aluminum is not really noticeable. I split my time between my mountain bikes and my road bike and when I'm on the road bike, I'll only do the occasional fast group ride. However I really liked the ride and performance of my former Madone SL. I'm guessing a weight penalty of about a pound and a half for a steel frame. Any help would be appreiciated.

I'm 6' 5" and weigh close to you...That being said, big riders have certain requirements that dont apply to others who are not as "fit challenged" as us.

A few are: Finding a saddle and shorts that are comfortable to you. Being heavier, we put more weight down there. I've found that De Marchi bib shorts and Brooks B-17 saddles are really comfy for me. I tried everything else.

Wheels: Pre-built, low spoke count wheelsets, even though they may look sexier, really do not work for larger riders over the long term. A custom hand built 32 spoke count wheelset built with a strong rim is a sure fire way to have a very reliable wheelset. Along that same vein, a true 25 diameter tire is another way to insure a comfy smoot ride. Michelin ProRace2 700 x 25's are my preference.

Lastly, and I have tried/owned frames of all materials, for large guys steel is truly the best material for overall comfort and riding ability. Also, my heaviset bike is my favorite bike for comfort, handling and all around great ride.

A pound here or there for someone our weight makes NO difference whatsoever. Having a solid base with saddles, wheels and a frame material that is not flimsy is the key to really enjoying a bike. And of course a frame that fits you as well.

This may not be the sexiest, coolest or most popular way to ride and you will sure not see anyone in the Tour De France riding like this, but we have a good 50-75 pounds on most of those riders.

Good luck to you whatever you decide. Feel free to send me a PM or email if you'd like reccomendations of good wheel builders and custom frame builders/fitters in steel.

Steve

abscar
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
I learned pretty quickly that my Bontrager Lites were pretty much useless. I have a set of Speed dreams which are fantastic. 1500 grams and no brake rub when I stand on the pedals. I plan on getting a set of 25 X 700 tires sometime in the near future. The Conti GP4000 I have on the rear seems to be tough as nails.

The Serotta fit tech suggested the Serfas saddle that I currently have. Sigh.....it doesn't look racey and it's heavy, but then again I can't see it when I ride. I will consider the Brooks. I'm also looking at the 155mm Specialized Alias.

I saw a couple on a pair of IF Steel bikes and once again I was reminded how much I like the look of steel frames. I quess I'll have to mosey on over to the Serotta shop. Oh, and pick a color.