PDA

View Full Version : 26" mountain bike tire recommendation

bluecsi
07-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Hello,

I'm in need of new tires for my mountain bike. Local shops don't carry 26" anymore, so not real confident in any recommendation they might make. Same with the guys I ride with, they're all on 29ers. So I'm hoping you guys can help.

Online, I'm looking at Ritchey WCS Z-max Evolution, Schwalbe Nobby Nic or Racing Ralph. Any thoughts on these? Any other suggestions?

I'm in the WS/GSO NC area, not a "rad" guy at all. Don't ride in mud.

Thanks fro any help.

Scott

Mikej
07-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Do they even make those anymore? Try some whatever's cheaps.

dustyrider
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Chances are whatever rubber the shops guys are running you can still find in a 26" size. Tire choice is pretty rider style/terrian specific. Talk to the guys that match your intended use and see what they're running. I've trusted maxxis off road for many, many years.

p nut
07-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Not sure what type of riding you do, but if I were to go back to 26", I'd run Ardent front and Ikon rear.

Red Tornado
07-24-2016, 04:52 PM
I still have a 26" dirt bike that I ride occasionally. Rapid Rob rear 2.1, Racing Ralph front 2.25, bike is a hardtail. I ride in central TX where most of the trails are loose over hard, or hard pack with a fair amount of roots/rocks thrown in. I'm a heavier rider (190's) and I run 38-40 psi rear and about 30-32 psi front. So far so good with this setup. The Ralph is folding but I could only find the Rob in non-folding. Hope this helps. I find getting out on the 26" a nice change. It also takes me back to the "glory days" of the 90's when I was actually competitive in races. LOL

gomango
07-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Not sure what type of riding you do, but if I were to go back to 26", I'd run Ardent front and Ikon rear.

Touchdown.

Can't miss.

That's what I rode in Moab two years ago and they are a strong combo on local trails here in the Twin Cities.

Peter P.
07-24-2016, 06:00 PM
The Ritchey Z-Max Evolution is the ONLY tire I'll use. I've used that tread pattern exclusively for over 15 years, in either a 1.9" or 2.1" width.

I ride the road to the trails a lot and need a tire with large knobs that will last, and will not flex. I want a tire with reasonable smoothness on the road. I want a tire with a Kevlar bead to save weight. I want a tire with excellent traction. The Ritchey checks all the boxes. Expensive, but worth it.

peanutgallery
07-24-2016, 08:33 PM
looking for 26 inch tires is akin to looking to revamp the lifeboat situation on refit of the Titantic, they are done. Consider a new bike with larger wheels, much improved drivetrain and what not. If you're riding a 26 for more than a once a year kinda deal you are peeing into a tornado, the benefits of the larger wheel and tech of the last 3 to 5 years are overwhelming. Additionally, the availability of 26 inch tires of quality is extremely limited. What you'll find is wire bead and crap sidewall tech. 1.9 to 2.1 tires are miserable to ride on the dirt

This is what is in for MTB:
larger wheels
tubeless
wide tires
wider rims
double and single ring
short stems
wide bars
clutch rear mech
disc brakes (shimano)

Done, gone, toast, ancient history for the MTB:
26 inch wheels
narrow tires
tubes
v brakes
any avid or cable disc brake
triples
9 speed (no clutch)
narrow bars
long stems
bikes with housing that doesn't run the full length of the bikes
10 year old full suspension with any of the above items, or budget full suspension

If you are running anything on the "done" list you are really missing out on what technology and changes in convention can do to improve your experience in the dirt. It is mechanical doping as compared to what we used to think was fun. Totally serious here, if you ride more than a little off- road and are seriously considering purchasing quality 26 inch tires....trust me

Corso
07-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Done, gone, toast, ancient history for the MTB:
26 inch wheels
narrow tires
tubes
v brakes
any avid or cable disc brake
triples
9 speed (no clutch)
narrow bars
long stems
bikes with housing that doesn't run the full length of the bikes
10 year old full suspension with any of the above items, or budget full suspension

If you are running anything on the "done" list you are really missing out on what technology and changes in convention can do to improve your experience in the dirt. It is mechanical doping as compared to what we used to think was fun. Totally serious here, if you ride more than a little off- road and are seriously considering purchasing quality 26 inch tires....trust me

I must disagree. I have plenty of fun on my old bikes that have everything on your list, and have zero problems keeping up with younger guys on the “new” tech bikes.

By your logic, one shouldn’t put new tires on a ’65 Mustang convertible…

Plenty of 26” tires around. I haven’t had any trouble finding them online.The hard one to find are gumwalls.

peanutgallery
07-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Come over to my crib and I will put you on a Camber, it will change your life and make you feel like you've had a succesful prom night...for a 2nd time. Seriously

Those 26 inch tires were made long ago and they use recycled kitchen flooring:)

Pretty sure that '65 mustang had terrible brakes/suspension and is out powered by a modern 450 motocross bike. I had one, it rusted out in like 4 years, but that was a long time back then

I must disagree. I have plenty of fun on my old bikes that have everything on your list, and have zero problems keeping up with younger guys on the “new” tech bikes.

By your logic, one shouldn’t put new tires on a ’65 Mustang convertible…

Plenty of 26” tires around. I haven’t had any trouble finding them online.The hard one to find are gumwalls.

JAGI410
07-24-2016, 09:43 PM
26" isn't dead, yet. Seems silly that your shop doesn't carry some!

The ikon/ardent combo is solid. Ikons front and rear do well too.

gdw
07-24-2016, 10:10 PM
In 5-10 years the kids who have jumped on the big tire slack head angle bandwagon will rediscover 26" wheels and NORBA geometry, wait and see.
Until the revival you can find plenty of tires on the web. The Ritcheys, Maxxis, and Swalbes others have mentioned are all good choices. If you want to save a few bucks pick up a pair of Pisgahs from Performance. They're a decent all-around tire.

Jake January
07-24-2016, 10:23 PM
I sure like the Schwalbe Big Apples.
Got two sets one 26x2.0 on the old hardtail mtb very smooth and good handling.
And a set of 26x2.35 on the Long Haul Trucker, super plush and floats well on soft/rough stuff.

pdmtong
07-25-2016, 12:31 AM
The dirt doesn't know my wheel size and chainrings are obsolete.

2010 Sworks stumpie fsr triple and 26"

Vittoria graphene 26"

spookyload
07-25-2016, 12:48 AM
The only thing bad about 26" wheels are 27" holes. I rode Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics. I would stick with the 2.25 NN unless you are racing. The Ralphs are fast, but just didn't hold well in corners.

bluecsi
07-25-2016, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll probably try the Ikon/Ardent combo.

Regarding an "upgrade" to a 29er. I have tire budget, not bike budget. So I'll have to remain obsolete for the time being.

rodcad
07-25-2016, 07:07 AM
I love WTB Velociraptors.

Peter P.
07-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Who knew peanutgallery was THE final word in mountain bikes? I would never have known all the enjoyment I'm missing had he not generated his list.

My bike checks off everything on his "Done, gone, toast, ancient history..." list, except I don't have ANY suspension. I guess I'm no longer "with it", but a Fred.

melac1
07-25-2016, 08:47 PM
After searching for a while, I've decided to stick with Nobby Nic for my XC/All mountain riding. The tread on them is amazing for loose rocks and dirt.