PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Chorus 9 Speed - Rear Hub service

Epicus07
07-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Anyone have any links to a guide on how to service this? My google-fu was not overwhelmingly successful.

Also, Where might I find this Campagnolo Pawl Holder tool i keep encountering in my reading?

Ralph
07-24-2016, 01:51 PM
If you can't find the tool.....I have successfully just used a thin string (I used 10 lb test fishing string) with a slip knot around the pawls (each pawl has a spring behind it....don't lose them) and at last minute as the freehub is slipping into place, pulled the string free. It worked fine. Sometimes lots of light grease holds the pawls in place so when you turn the freehub body counter clock wise, the pawls slip into their slots.

Just FYI....my current Campy hubs (Black Record and Zonda) just have one spring that goes around all 3 pawls.....it's simpler to get freehub to drop into place. Haven't needed a tool.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Anyone have any links to a guide on how to service this? My google-fu was not overwhelmingly successful.

Also, Where might I find this Campagnolo Pawl Holder tool i keep encountering in my reading?

A shop that 'qui si parla Campagolo' should have one. Vecchio's does to. I only have one.

2 14mm cones on non drive side, loosen lock nut and unscrew cone. Axle and FH body comes out. Over a table as pawls and Springs may travel. Pop LH hub cap off, it has a rubber insert. 9 1/4 inch balls left side, 10 7/32 right side under FH body. Clean, new balls, new grease. Reassemble. A bit of dental floss can hold pawls/Springs in as you reassemble, also don't trap the rubber o ring at base of FH body. There's a cone at base of FH body also that can be replaced as well.

oliver1850
07-24-2016, 03:26 PM
I have successfully installed the freehubs with free floating pawls using just my fingers. Hold the pawls in place with your fingertips while sliding the FHB onto the axle, giving a little twist when the pawls contact the notches in the hub. If they snag you can generally poke them into place with a pointy object. If one pops out of the little pocket you will know, as the freehub won't go on far enough. Do not get out the hammer. Pull it off and try again.

Epicus07
07-24-2016, 09:55 PM
thanks guys