07-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Kenny Wayne Shepard

cadence90
07-24-2016, 03:00 AM
.... ..

OtayBW
07-24-2016, 05:02 AM
Some of the old:
Big fan of the 'West Side Sound' - Magic Sam, Otis Rush.
Big fan of T-Bone Walker, Lowell Fulson. I continue to be amazed by the influence of T-Bone, in particular.

EDIT: Peter Green - Bluesbreaker years. How could I forget? This guy was amazing....

terry
07-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Joe Bonnamassa

bikinchris
07-24-2016, 07:40 AM
Robert Johnson.

Son House and Charles Patton influenced him and he influenced everyone else.

Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones exclaimed "When I first heard [him], I was hearing two guitars, and it took me a long time to realize he was actually doing it all by himself."

malcolm
07-24-2016, 09:00 AM
I love guitar especially blues.

Some of my old guy faves would be, blind lemon jefferson, elmore james, robert johnson.

Old guy still around Buddy Guy is hard to beat live.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is well Stevie Ray Vaughn just awesome live very time I saw him.

Best live show hard to say but I still remember John Mayhall and the blues breakers doing a get together at a small venue in Hawaii back in the late '70s maybe 1980, anyway Mick Taylor from Rolling Stones fame was playing guitar and was absolutely amazing played a slide that would just cut through to the bone.

Kinda blues guitarist you may have never heard of Mato Nanji from the band indigenous. He's got a really good sound and I think he can really play.

paredown
07-24-2016, 09:59 AM
Imma putting in a plug for the late great Freddie King--he had a brief moment in the public eye before he died when he got picked up by RSO and played with Clapton. The records (a couple with Leon Russell producing?) are OK, but he played live in a small club in Vancouver BITD--we went every night but one and tried to sit through both sets (if they didn't kick us out for not spending any money).

Big, big voice, charismatic and a happy soul--and boy could he wail.

If you want to know what Stevie Ray was listening to, listen to Hendrix and Freddie....

The other "group" was Willie Dixon and the Chicago All-stars--depending on the year the band would be a little different, but wow. I especially remember Willy, his drummer and a piano guy (about 90 years old and wearing those gambler arm bands) absolutely tearing through some classics... Willy was a showman and a great front man, he'd do these perfect spins with his upright bass and bounce it off is chest and come back right on the beat.

I could go on--Albert King, spooky and cool, Albert Collins...

That club was special, and only lasted for a few years, but I saw a bunch of folks up close and personal like Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee--it made me a life-long fan of the blues.

We had an interesting drive home from NY recently, first walking back through the Village with musician friends of ours, who were pointing out all the locations that used to be small clubs that have long since closed. Now if you are a headliner, you play stadiums, if you are a working musician it is hard to find venues to play in. And the joy of live music is harder to experience.

malcolm
07-24-2016, 11:27 AM
One other to check out is Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown. I think he's from Louisiana as am I and in high school he used to play the across the river late night clubs a lot. Awesome performer. Another guy that performed in La a lot when I was younger was Percy Sledge, more R&B but great live.

Auk
07-24-2016, 11:51 AM
The older generation were and still are the standard by which the new ones will be judged. The three Kings (BB, Freddie, and Albert) SRV, Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Johnson, etc forever.

As for the new generation there are a ton of monster players out there. Some still not commonplace in the ears and minds, but they will be.

Bonamassa
Josh Smith (monster player)
Doug Rapport (played with Johnny Winter)
Lance Lopez (think SRV on roids)
Eric Tessmer
and more than I can remember right off hand.

The blues and those that play them are alive and very well.

1centaur
07-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Joe Bonamassa

+100. Amazing live, amazing on DVD. Very clean technique, great taste, and most shocking of all, an incredible voice. Track down the YouTube Jane Pauley piece on Joe when he was a 13-year-old phenom and then marvel that the dorky kid could grow up to have that voice. When you really listen to the clean note production it's easy to see how muddy some of the other greats are. It's a style thing, i get that, but still remarkable.

echelon_john
07-24-2016, 12:24 PM
I saw Koko Taylor twice. "The Queen of the Blues," or at least Chicago blues. Phenomenal performer, moving life story. Second time I saw her was on a booze cruise in Boston Harbor in ~1990. You've never seen an audience so stunned at the end of a performance. Open mouths. Silent. She poured her heart out, and left it all on the stage. Amazing presence, soul & delivery. Once in a lifetime experience for me, and I've seen probably 600 shows in my life.

oliver1850
07-24-2016, 01:19 PM
I got to see Muddy Waters twice at a small club in Champaign IL during the time that Johnny Winters was producing his records for the Blue Sky label. He was as good then (just a couple of years before his death) as ever. David McGee, writing in the Rolling Stone album guide, had this to say about the four Blue Sky albums: "Waters is fully in command again, inspired and roaring as the players fall under his spell. The live album demonstrates what everyone who saw Waters in the late 70s learned: On any given night the man could cut any other any other artist that stepped on stage. The version of Mannish Boy on Muddy Mississippi Waters Live starts slow and grinds its way to an explosive climax with Waters and Winter pushing each other to greater emotional peaks." I was hoping for Winter to show up at one of the shows but they were great without him.

I've really enjoyed the various Fat Possum artists of the last 15 years or so: Junior Kimbrough, R. L. Burnside, T Model Ford, Asie Payton, Nathaniel Mayer (thanks dimsy), and others. These guys are perhaps the last of the traditional rural Southern bluesmen. Interested parties should check out the film "You See Me Laughin', The Last of the Hill Country Bluesmen" for a glimpse at where they came from. My favorite segment is probably R. L. playing a small club in Mississippi in the early 1970s.

I've mentioned him before but Ronnie Baker Brooks is probably the most talented of the younger guys locally.

Auk
07-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Oh, and now a story. . .

While I can't say it was my first concert, that honor goes to Ernest Tubbs, but for sure the first concert that made me reconsider most of the notes that I heard from that point, was BB King. BB King, at the Beef and Boards dinner club in Indianapolis. You sit down, order your big meal and then, the real dessert comes out. Every single note that he played had a reason for being hit. Some just hit you square in the head and heart and I can remember for days after just hearing specific notes. Notes that had a resonance much deeper than the note itself. I was ruined from that day forward. :)

palincss
07-24-2016, 01:56 PM
I love the old guys, especially Jimmy Reed and Sonny Boy Williamson, Lightnin' Hopkins, Hooker, Fred McDowell, etc. Aretha, Koko Taylor, Etta James, etc.

OK, here's one, a Grand Master if ever there was one: Pinetop Perkins. At 97 he became the oldest winner of a Grammy award. If you like piano blues, I think you'll like him. And because nobody has mentioned Big Mama Thornton so far, I give you this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vypSOetzlQo) absolutely incredible rendition of Ball and Chain.

OldCrank
07-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Pinetop's one of those underrated artists who brings his sound to any band, without taking over, just making it sound more solid.
IMO.
I was lucky enough to see him touring with Muddy. Wow.

Buddy Guy, still touring I hope? Great showman.

Robert Cray, Keb' Mo, bringing in new ideas.

Magic Sam, Lightnin', Big Walter Horton, John Lee Hooker, Carey Bell.... now you've got me started!

Rpoole8537
07-24-2016, 05:18 PM
JB Lenoir - the subject of a song by Steve Winwood.
Elmore James - sweetest music and slide guitar.
Tab Benoit - LA swamp blues, still on tour regularly.
Alvin Lee - I still listen to him regularly.

cadence90
07-24-2016, 05:27 PM
.... ..

bicycletricycle
07-24-2016, 07:12 PM
i like this taj mahal song so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQC2_NJj2iA

chuckroast
07-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I haven't seen Roy Buchanan mentioned, a troubled soul but I loved the tones he coaxed out of his guitar.

nate2351
07-24-2016, 07:48 PM
To me R.L. Burnside can't be topped.

https://youtu.be/c8RtayjqqIw

Crackerkorean
07-24-2016, 08:20 PM
The guy that got me interested in the blues is Eric Bibb.
I have always enjoyed Diamond Days, front to back.

berserk87
07-24-2016, 08:40 PM
John Lee Hooker got me interested in the Blues. I have a ton of his stuff. I really like Howlin' Wolf, Lightin' Hopkins, and Son House, too. Albert King is really great - he seems to have seriously influenced Steve Ray Vaughn.

I have seen Buddy Guy live a few times. I heard legend that if you went into his club in Chicago, you could find him sitting on his favorite stool at the end of the bar. Sure enough, I visited there about 20 years ago (maybe more?) and there he was. I shook his hand. He did not seem to be too interested in shaking my hand but he obliged.

cadence90
07-24-2016, 09:03 PM
.... ..

parco
07-24-2016, 09:28 PM
These guys are on the fringe of Blues but I really like their music. Scott Henderson and Robben Ford.

oliver1850
07-24-2016, 10:41 PM
I have seen Buddy Guy live a few times. I heard legend that if you went into his club in Chicago, you could find him sitting on his favorite stool at the end of the bar. Sure enough, I visited there about 20 years ago (maybe more?) and there he was. I shook his hand. He did not seem to be too interested in shaking my hand but he obliged.

This reminds me of when I went to see Bo Diddley in Rock Island. Typical old downtown venue: long skinny brick walled stage room with a similarly shaped bar room parallel to it. We were there early so walked into the bar and there was Bo sitting at the very end of the bar watching a Bulls game. We left him alone as I'd heard that he wasn't very sociable. A friend of mine and his band had backed him up (Chuck Berry pickup band type gig) in IA City. They were all excited to play with Bo, and wanted to take him out to a nice dinner. Bo told them, "just bring a cheeseburger to my room". Still cool to see Bo sitting there - pretty much unrecognizable unless you were aware that BO DIDDLEY! was playing there that night.

oliver1850
07-24-2016, 10:51 PM
To me R.L. Burnside can't be topped.

https://youtu.be/c8RtayjqqIw

That's some good stuff right there. I detect a bit of John Lee Hooker influence.

Saint Vitus
07-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Gil T once mentioned that Hollywood Fats gave up living when Muddy died, having being his protege when he was a kid. He was a heck of a talent that died young.

I did some sessions in the mid eighties with the Vaughn brothers mentor, Bill Campbell. A real solid player that had as clear and sweet a sound as I'd ever heard.

pdmtong
07-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Kenny Wayne Shepard

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160725/fda4f4228ef590da090936df7c9590ad.jpg

bironi
07-25-2016, 01:00 AM
Michael Bloomfield

cadence90
07-25-2016, 03:04 AM
.... ..

malcolm
07-25-2016, 09:27 AM
I haven't seen Roy Buchanan mentioned, a troubled soul but I loved the tones he coaxed out of his guitar.

I tend to forget about Roy for some reason but I was fortunate to see him play in the late 70s or early 80s in New Orleans I think a Tipitina's. He was an incredible player just jaw dropping to watch and hear.

Interesting someone maybe cadence90 dissed Bonamassa. I wasn't going to say anything because I'm clearly in the minority but Bonamassa just leaves me cold. I do enjoy watching him play, but I can't even explain it he just doesn't move me.

bthornt
07-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Rory Gallagher, Albert Collins (aka the master of the telecaster)

jr59
07-25-2016, 10:37 AM
I tend to forget about Roy for some reason but I was fortunate to see him play in the late 70s or early 80s in New Orleans I think a Tipitina's. He was an incredible player just jaw dropping to watch and hear.

Interesting someone maybe cadence90 dissed Bonamassa. I wasn't going to say anything because I'm clearly in the minority but Bonamassa just leaves me cold. I do enjoy watching him play, but I can't even explain it he just doesn't move me.

Tips is a great place to see a show.

Two stories, first I was having a late lunch in a place called Snug Harbor in New Orleans, myself and my date were the only people in the restaurant side of it, as this place is divided into two sections. Our waiter asked if we would rather sit at the bar b/c the jazz band was about to start and they were pretty good. We declined. All during lunch I heard the band and they were very good. After we finished I could not find one person in the restaurant. I went to the bar and waved at my waiter, then look at the stage. BB King was sitting right in the middle and I went toget my date. He played for the staff and I for about 45 mins or so. When he was done, he told us that he wanted to sit in with old friends.
Pretty good afternoon.

Not to long after that, I was walking down Royal st, on a Sunday afternoon. A LOT of people play on the st corners there. I looked down and saw Kid Rock playing slide blues on a very beat up guitar. He had a big old straw hat and looked like he had been up for 4 days or so. I have met him a few times, so I said hello. It took a while, but he finally figured out how we met. He also thanked me for not outing him. He was also pretty good playing like that.

I have been blessed to get to meet a bunch of guys over the years, but those two times were pretty cool.

berserk87
07-25-2016, 05:03 PM
This reminds me of when I went to see Bo Diddley in Rock Island. Typical old downtown venue: long skinny brick walled stage room with a similarly shaped bar room parallel to it. We were there early so walked into the bar and there was Bo sitting at the very end of the bar watching a Bulls game. We left him alone as I'd heard that he wasn't very sociable. A friend of mine and his band had backed him up (Chuck Berry pickup band type gig) in IA City. They were all excited to play with Bo, and wanted to take him out to a nice dinner. Bo told them, "just bring a cheeseburger to my room". Still cool to see Bo sitting there - pretty much unrecognizable unless you were aware that BO DIDDLEY! was playing there that night.

That's priceless.

I saw him in concert in Indy in the early '90's. He said before the show that he had recently had back surgery and had to play the entire gig seated. Maybe he was less than social due to back pain?

pdmtong
07-25-2016, 05:07 PM

same here - I want to like him and get why people like him but does nothing for me. I feel the same way about U2.

cadence90
07-25-2016, 05:24 PM
.... ..

fuzzalow
07-25-2016, 08:22 PM

same here - I want to like him and get why people like him but does nothing for me. I feel the same way about U2.

Yes, me three on Joe B. I respect him for the blues mantle he has tried to assume and carry forth but his interpretation of the blues just strikes me as forced and not genuine.

I believe he has an academic grasp of the scalar and melodic genre of the blues form but his playing of it doesn't convince me. Mind you I have no expectation that he be a tormented soul in order to tap into and play that emotion - just that he can find a portal in himself to get at the phrasing of those notes to make it real - because I know he can talk fluently about the structure of the blues form but it might as well be rock because that's the phrasing and attack I hear when Joe B. plays the blues.

Some guys that I thought could carry the blues would be Buchanan, Rory Gallagher, Bloomfield, Sean Costello, Peter Green but only for a very short time, even Clapton and Page could still bring it which proves it is possible to play the blues while not having flown commercial in decades!

Not into U2.

joosttx
07-25-2016, 08:43 PM
Son house is my favorite. Johnny Lee Hooker follows him. Son's music is amazing almost like GGM writing, it takes you just slightly below the consciousness

rounder
07-25-2016, 08:46 PM

First rock & roll show I ever saw was about 1960. There were a bunch of bands with Bobby Rydell (!!???) as headliner. There were numerous other acts there including Bo Diddley. I asked the girl I was with...so what did you think? Did you like Bobby Rydell. She said...Huh? I liked Bo Diddley. I did not know much then, probably less today.

Bo Diddley was great. There have been lots of great blues players. My favorites these days are Hank Williams and J.J. Cale.

moose8
07-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Mississippi John Hurt

staggerwing
07-25-2016, 09:39 PM
I don't follow the blues all that closely. There is a show on one of local public stations, and it seems much of what they play is "who can whip off the most spectacular sole."

However, ages ago, one of the stereo magazines was going on about Robert Lucas in his group as Luke and the Locomotives (https://www.amazon.com/Luke-Locomotives-Robert-Lucas/dp/B000003HK0). In that album, he absolutely nailed the smoldering slow burn. Beautifully recored too.

It is also up on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BgFuomnWso&list=PLQX_zMixFyZVrcLPozrd1IWB1dVRrEc7v

Alas, he overlived the dream, and died of a drug overdose at 46.

Hawker
07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
The finest band on tour today; Tedeschi-Trucks. Her voice, his guitar is blues made in heaven. I dare you to go and not rise to your feet. Whew!

Hepmike
07-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Some years ago I was playing a gig in Chicago that Otis Rush was known to frequent (B.L.U.E.S. maybe? Can't recall) Anywho, sure enough middle-ish of our gig in he walked...he stopped in front of the stage and listened for a few minutes and gave us a "thumbs-up" (he was probably humoring us, but I was flattered just the same.) It was pretty rad.
I approached him after the gig and asked him to sign my guitar on the back. Which- even at that time- was a pretty valuable/expensive '60 Fender Esquire. He obliged- across the entire back- in VERY large letters with a black sharpie. I don't think he was trying to be an ass- but he was abit drunk and probably thought I'd be cool with it. Maybe I should have been...but I wasn't, and I ended up removing it and still feel guilty about it.
So anyway, he's my pick- an amazing (and somewhat still underrated) guitar player and singer. Often overlooked of the Chicago notables.

And FWIW agree about Joe Bonamassa. Seems like a good enough guy but it just doesn't move me.

malcolm
07-26-2016, 09:26 AM
First rock & roll show I ever saw was about 1960. There were a bunch of bands with Bobby Rydell (!!???) as headliner. There were numerous other acts there including Bo Diddley. I asked the girl I was with...so what did you think? Did you like Bobby Rydell. She said...Huh? I liked Bo Diddley. I did not know much then, probably less today.

Bo Diddley was great. There have been lots of great blues players. My favorites these days are Hank Williams and J.J. Cale.

Interesting you mention JJ Cale, for me he's 180 deg Bonamassa. Live Cale back in the troubadour days before Clapton started doing cocaine was just chilling. He may have been the coolest white blues man to ever live. Don't get me wrong he stayed that way till the day he died but I saw him in either Baton Rouge or New Orleans and really at the time didn't know who he was and was just stunned. He was a human emotion marinated into a guitar.

Another guy I used to like was a young guy that played around Baton Rouge oh twenty or so years ago. Troy Turner, grew up in Tabby's Blues Box may have even been Tabby's son, not sure. Played locally with Tab Benoit a bit, really soulful with an awesome tone. I assume he's still around but haven't heard him in years.

oliver1850
07-26-2016, 12:21 PM
The finest band on tour today; Tedeschi-Trucks. Her voice, his guitar is blues made in heaven. I dare you to go and not rise to your feet. Whew!

Susan's my "cousin". We share a common ancestor from Scituate, Plymouth Colony. Maybe she'll play the family reunion some day....

staggerwing
07-26-2016, 12:41 PM
Susan and Derek are playing a combonational show with Los Lobos and the North Mississippi All Stars here Saturday. Would love to go, but my wife isn't showing much interest and it is our anniversary. Best not push too hard on this issue.

rodcad
07-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Not my all time favorite, but I saw Jonny Lang this past weekend in Aspen at the Belly Up. What a guitar player! GF and I were in awe.

pdmtong
07-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Derek in Eric's touring band is great (saw once), but he really shines in his own band with susan (seen them twice, both small venue).

susan - like bonnie raitt and janis rolled into one.

this being SF, the last time I saw TTB, local resident carlos santana came out to guest (before he went to vegas). Derek was right there with him and it was pretty magical.

cadence90
07-26-2016, 04:07 PM
.... ..

malcolm
07-26-2016, 04:09 PM
If you enjoy Susan and who wouldn't. I really liked her before Derek although together that are a phenomenon.

You owe it to yourself to check out Carolyn Wonderland. Huge voice and just an amazing player she can really hurt a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFAeyU0GWWU

Probably my current favorite live live blues man

And if for just one minute you thought she couldn't sing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ncQrqfl-rk

cadence90
07-26-2016, 04:11 PM
.... ..

Hawker
07-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Susan's my "cousin". We share a common ancestor from Scituate, Plymouth Colony. Maybe she'll play the family reunion some day....

Come to think of it, I believe we are cousins as well! Please remind me as the reunion date gets closer.

malcolm
07-26-2016, 04:32 PM
You are the one who made me aware of Carolyn Wonderland in the "stuck in your head" thread.
She's amazing. Thanks!

:beer:

I'm glad you enjoy her. She's one of those artists that when you see/hear her you can't believe everyone doesn't know who she is. To me she's what blues are all about.

One more and I'll try and stop the OT posts.

Wind Cries Mary on the electric mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bFfsgzXzIE

Rpoole8537
07-26-2016, 04:39 PM
A friend once played bass in a very good local band. One night they opened for Koko Taylor in Savannah. He said we played a pretty good set and as we walked of the stage Koko's band members congratulated them as they walked off the stage. As they walked further back to their dressing room, Koko stepped out of her room and looked at them and said, "you boys must have day jobs!" They did all have day jobs so they did not get their feelings hurt. Kind of like getting dropped on a climb by much better riders.
I've had the honor of seeing Susan and Derrick play sitting on the fourth row and met them after the show. They are fabulous and are very humble. I hope they play for a long time together.
On Joe B., I think he focuses too much on speed of his licks. I'm more impressed by the soul and heart of the licks.

Hawker
07-26-2016, 05:09 PM
OK Cadence, checked out Ms. Wonderland. Wow...can't believe I haven't ever heard of her. She's a bit different but looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks.

cadence90
07-26-2016, 05:14 PM
.... ..

geeter
07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Growing up in Chicago I have spent a lot of time at blues joints over the years. My favorite moment was meeting Son Seals at a bar one time. I went to the now defunct Wise Fools to see him play one time. He was at the end of his life and had a younger much more able guy playing lead.

At the end of the show, he just came and sat down next to me at the bar. My buddy just turned to him and said, "Mr. Seals, can I buy you a drink?" He just turned and said, "Of course, young man." We chatted briefly but it was a cool moment and obviously one I haven't forgotten.

jr59
07-26-2016, 07:55 PM

You should come down to Jax beach. Those 2 play in a local club a lot, unannounced, they just sort of show up and play. As I said earlier, I have been blessed to meet a bunch of players both here in Jax and in New Orleans. I've known D. Trucks since he was about 8 or 9. Good guy.

rounder
07-26-2016, 08:13 PM
I never saw J.J. live, but have been listening to him for a long time. Have 12 J.J. records (just counted). His music style to me is in tune, in time, intelligent, laid back, timeless, funky, beautiful...blah blah blah. Pretty sure I will be listening to his stuff forever. Sorry he is gone.

cadence90
07-26-2016, 08:37 PM
.... ..

cadence90
07-26-2016, 09:02 PM
.... ..

jr59
07-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Wow, lucky you! He does seem like a really likable person, with not one ounce of pretense.
Did you ever meet Uncle Butch et al?

No, But Gregg Allman and Warren Haynes. I was also one of Alan Collins, of Lynyrd Skynyrd fame, pallbearers. All of that Jacksonville crew I knew/know very well. with a LOT of good memories and more bad than I want to think of.

But back to a blues thread. There is a player in the NOLA area is the best blues player I have ever heard, that is not on a major contract. Brint Anderson can REALLY play.Check him out if you get the chance.

http://www.brintanderson.com/index.htm

cadence90
07-27-2016, 01:14 AM
.... ..