PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Frame Pumps

oddsaabs
07-23-2016, 04:04 PM
I was on a nice long ride yesterday afternoon/evening when near the top of a particularly nasty climb an Australian Shepard comes tearing out of the driveway hell bent for leather. Now normally I'd just "give it the beans" as the Brits say and drop the excited cur but this guy was moving, and being as I was still on the top slopes of the climb there was no way I was gonna out run him. So reflexively I reached down and grabbed the pump from under the top tube. I shouted at the mutt to stop right there and swung the pump back at him.

One of the best things about swinging a frame pump at a chasing dog is even if it's a smart beast who sees the stick in your hand they don't realize it gets longer when you swing it. This particular dog was one of the smart ones and was waiting till after the swing to make it's move. So it was more than a little surprised when the stick got longer and the business end of the pump made solid contact right across the snoot. It must have been a real cracker too cause he yelped, skidded to a stop, and turned tail for home.

I almost felt bad for the guy. He was just doing what dogs do after all. That was till I looked down and saw the shaft of my pump was bent. Not so bad that I couldn't tweak it back into straight enough shape to keep working, but bent enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of that whack.

I'll be going back by that spot in a couple weeks. Hopefully the owner will have my new little friend under control. I'm not sure his nose, or my pump, can handle another hit like that.

oldpotatoe
07-23-2016, 04:11 PM
I was on a nice long ride yesterday afternoon/evening when near the top of a particularly nasty climb an Australian Shepard comes tearing out of the driveway hell bent for leather. Now normally I'd just "give it the beans" as the Brits say and drop the excited cur but this guy was moving, and being as I was still on the top slopes of the climb there was no way I was gonna out run him. So reflexively I reached down and grabbed the pump from under the top tube. I shouted at the mutt to stop right there and swung the pump back at him.

One of the best things about swinging a frame pump at a chasing dog is even if it's a smart beast who sees the stick in your hand they don't realize it gets longer when you swing it. This particular dog was one of the smart ones and was waiting till after the swing to make it's move. So it was more than a little surprised when the stick got longer and the business end of the pump made solid contact right across the snoot. It must have been a real cracker too cause he yelped, skidded to a stop, and turned tail for home.

I almost felt bad for the guy. He was just doing what dogs do after all. That was till I looked down and saw the shaft of my pump was bent. Not so bad that I couldn't tweak it back into straight enough shape to keep working, but bent enough that I wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of that whack.

I'll be going back by that spot in a couple weeks. Hopefully the owner will have my new little friend under control. I'm not sure his nose, or my pump, can handle another hit like that.

Should smack the owner, not the dog..:cool:

'Eddy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

Cicli
07-23-2016, 04:13 PM
I just ride with someone slower than me. Dogs take the easy target.

eddief
07-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Not me. You sound so proud. Wonder if you could have pedaled faster instead of beating up on the dog?

FlashUNC
07-23-2016, 04:36 PM
I find a spray from the water bottle in the face is just as effective.

Jaq
07-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Not me. You sound so proud. Wonder if you could have pedaled faster instead of beating up on the dog?

And you sound so sanctimonious.

Sorry, Pantani, but it's not always possible to lay on the steam 100 yards from the summit. And there are times when dogs mean business.

Cicli
07-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Sorry, Pantani, but it's not always possible to lay on the steam 100 yards from the summit. And there are times when dogs mean business.

Agreed. If its the dog or my leg? Its the dog by any means.

eddief
07-23-2016, 04:58 PM
for the tenor of the original message. Just a point of view.

Dead Man
07-23-2016, 05:05 PM
The one time I couldn't outrun and the dog was closing, I actually did go for my pump, but couldn't get it out before the dog broke his assault and trotted off.

I vowed to get some pepper spray, but still haven't.. I think I am a lot stronger these days, as I've always been able to outrun them, even on the climbs... But I am concerned about it. Have had some big big mean ****ers come at me with clear hatred and malice in their snarl.

I'd have no compunction against shooting the little pieces of crap.. I hate dogs, and I hate the humanization of pets. But I understand the world doesn't comply with my much more rational view on this topic... Shooting someone's dog, no matter how justified, is sure to result in legal fees I would really rather not deal with, as well as the inability to ever ride up that particular road again. The hill country of rural Columbia County is amazing riding, but the roads aren't so plentiful that I can afford to just give one up.

Got remember to grab some pepper spray next time I'm in Portland..

superbowlpats
07-23-2016, 05:08 PM
I've never been outsprinted by a dog. that being said I wonder if a dog really could bite your leg as they spin at >100 rpm. Me thinks they'd end up with a mouthful of crankarm. does get your HR up though when it happens. sprint or water bottle for me. what's a frame pump ;)

tigoat
07-23-2016, 05:08 PM
I ride in the country a lot and encounter dogs running loose all the time. Some dogs do a friendly chase while others mean business. Most of the time, being mean and yield loudly do work to stop them on their track. Sometimes, I stop and get off and use my bike as a barrier and defend weapon for those perceived as mean ones. I am not afraid to get bitten but I am concerned about crashing. I wouldn't feel too bad about this incident, as you did what you had to do for self defense. I don't think a little whack is gonna hurt that animal. In fact, you probably did everyone (both owner and riders) a favor to teach him how to behave.

josephr
07-23-2016, 05:36 PM
most of the time they're just chasing or coming out to say hello....but there's been a few that've needed the squirt from water bottle or to be outrun. One dog really scared me a couple of years ago...25mph for 100 yards+ and he was still giving full chase and water bottle wasn't phasing him at all. no frame pump, or I would've whacked him hard. Kudos to you -- dog will think twice next time he takes chase!

Cicli
07-23-2016, 05:41 PM
I was letting my greyhounds run in a closed off football field once at a park. Bleachers and all were in the enclosure. Out of nowhere a jogger appeared and was running laps. The two greys spotted him and went full speed to say hello. The guy was scared sh!+less. I felt really bad. They turned back at more than 50 feet away and proceded to sprint laps. I takled to the guy and he was cool about it. Didnt know how to take two hounds with grass rooster tails coming at him. He had no chance to get away. They just wanted to play.

pjm
07-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Beware of the ones that don't bark.

redir
07-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Should smack the owner, not the dog..:cool:

'Eddy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uP-dxllKQ

Nah. I had the same experience with the OP once. I smacked the dog on the snout and till this day that dog no longer runs out into the street. He learned. All be it he learned the hard way but he learned. It's not enough to cause serious injury and I would never want that on a dog but it's enough to be a very staunch reminder of who's boss ;)

bigbill
07-23-2016, 06:27 PM
I pepper sprayed a dog last year. It ran out in front of me when I was going slow and there was no way I could ride away from it. I just put my foot down and tried "NO!" "Go Home!" and even squirted water in his face. He kept charging at me when I'd try to move. The owner was watching the whole thing so I just emptied the pepper spray on the dog. I rode off and left the dog rolling around in the grass not caring about me. No problems since.

stephenmarklay
07-23-2016, 06:52 PM
I pepper sprayed a dog last year. It ran out in front of me when I was going slow and there was no way I could ride away from it. I just put my foot down and tried "NO!" "Go Home!" and even squirted water in his face. He kept charging at me when I'd try to move. The owner was watching the whole thing so I just emptied the pepper spray on the dog. I rode off and left the dog rolling around in the grass not caring about me. No problems since.

I have had some dogs chase me on and off for a couple for years. I reported them to the local animal control on numerous occasions. The one owner of the most troublesome dogs lately is a cop and clearly does not give a hoot.

Last week one home with two dogs got the jump on me and there was nothing I could do but stop. I had pepper spray ready as usual but this time I used it. The dogs were pretty savvy and managed to not get hit directly by keeping distance.

However, I have not heard a peep out of them since.

I certainly don’t want to hurt a dog but I certainly don’t want to get bit and I have no problem defending myself.

efaust_o
07-23-2016, 07:36 PM
You do not always have an opportunity to react, pump, spray, dodge, dismount, etc...especially if more than one dog. Ask me how I know....Also if you want to see what a dog can do to a cyclist....PM me. Dogs should not be allowed to run free range close to roadways.

Cicli
07-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Can you frame pump a pokemon hunter?

Hilltopperny
07-23-2016, 07:43 PM
I've been chased by many dogs. I have fortunately been able to out pedal most, but did have a German shepherd chase me into the opposite lane at a blind corner on Otsego lake. If there was a car coming we'd have both been dead. I saw him again one day at the entrance to his owners property and his owner was there. The owner being a middle aged overweight woman riding in a golf cart and let her know that her dog had chased me and shouldn't be left to run on a busy road where lots of people ride, walk and run. On my way back through the dog was sitting there untied at the entrance...

Red Tornado
07-23-2016, 07:49 PM

Owner was watching. This is what bothers me.

eddief
07-23-2016, 07:50 PM
whack the lady on the side of her head with your pump. It won't really hurt her, but I bet she thinks twice about letting her dog run free. Oh crap, you could go to jail for that :).

I've been chased by many dogs. I have fortunately been able to out pedal most, but did have a German shepherd chase me into the opposite lane at a blind corner on Otsego lake. If there was a car coming we'd have both been dead. I saw him again one day at the entrance to his owners property and his owner was there. The owner being a middle aged overweight woman riding in a golf cart and let her know that her dog had chased me and shouldn't be left to run on a busy road where lots of people ride, walk and run. On my way back through the dog was sitting there untied at the entrance...

Frankwurst
07-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Can you frame pump a pokemon hunter?

Yes.:beer:

Peter P.
07-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I've twice clocked dogs with my pump and the extended handle bent as a result. Cost me two pumps.

Both times, the dog never bothered me again.

I love dogs (recently dog sat my sister's Doberman for a week; the cupcake took over my couch!) but boinking the dogs was necessary and worth it.

If only the owners would chase me instead...

93legendti
07-23-2016, 08:29 PM
You do not always have an opportunity to react, pump, spray, dodge, dismount, etc...especially if more than one dog. Ask me how I know....Also if you want to see what a dog can do to a cyclist....PM me. Dogs should not be allowed to run free range close to roadways.

Agree...it's dangerous for the dog. It's dangerous for humans.

We have a 6' leash law in our county- the exception is if the dog is in a fenced yard or on an electric collar. If a dog is roaming free, whatever occurs is on the owner 100%. That's the law.

jruhlen1980
07-23-2016, 08:44 PM
I've never been outsprinted by a dog. that being said I wonder if a dog really could bite your leg as they spin at >100 rpm. Me thinks they'd end up with a mouthful of crankarm. does get your HR up though when it happens. sprint or water bottle for me. what's a frame pump ;)

Sure.

makoti
07-23-2016, 09:03 PM

I have never had this fail me. I actually slow down so the dog can catch up & squirt it in the face. Skids to a stop every time. Dogs's ok, I'm ok. Everyone wins.

bikingshearer
07-24-2016, 01:41 PM
It's been a long time since I've had a dog problem on a ride, and I've been fortunate to only have to deal with attacking dogs a handful of times over many years. The last time I did, I saw a nasty fang run out of its farm home to scare the sh*t out of a rider about 200 yards ahead of me (I tried to shout a warning, but the strong headwind drowned it out). Fido surprised him and the guy almost crashed.

Fido then retreated a short way up his dirt road to reload for me. I came riding up brandishing my Zefal HP-X pump. Fido clearly had encountered such things before, because he stopped his forward progress, stayed a respectful distance away and only snarled.

I'll keep the water bottle trick in mind, and I'll hope that my years'-long trend of not having to deal with dog attacks continues, but I will also still have my full-sized pump on hand. (Zefals work better for this than Silcas.)

07-24-2016, 02:44 PM
I own multiple Australian shepherds and have raced and trained for years around many many loose ranch and farm dogs. And in Dallas, where I live currently, there's a huge homeless dog problem in some neighborhoods with attacks and killings by dogs. So one can't assume dogs are just playful when some woman was killed and half eaten last week in the same neighborhood I'm riding through.

Leaving all the moralizing aside and just seeking the objective, which is to get away from the dog without risk:

The only thing worse than the dog getting you is swerving or being distracted and having a car get you. So focus is on cars, not dogs, even if the dog is hostile. Swinging a pump is too distracting, and a water squirt is less so but potentially too much as well. Sprinting away from the dog can often work, especially if gravity is favoring you. On a climb, dogs have to climb too and may give up quickly. If you can't outsprint the dog, I get off the bike. Then I've taken care of the hit-by-a-car risk and I have the bike to keep the dog(s) away. If we're talking Aussies, a pump hit is likely to be plenty. It just annoys a pit bull and causes you to become not a toy but an attacker. If you've stopped and the bike is between you, you are defusing the situation for starters (nobody says you can necessarily win a fight with a dog if the dog is powerful and really wants to fight). It can also limit the risk by limiting how much the dog can get to you.

Think like a dog. They chase riders on country roads because they look like fun to chase. Remember that almost any ranch owner is going to use the words "No" and "Off", and the dog should know those if said loud and in a deep voice (very important -- dogs think high voices are play voices and deep voices are authoritarian). When dogs are having fun, you take away the fun if you stop and then roll away slowly. That's safer because if a dog doesn't intend to bite you, it can still swerve in front of you and bring you down. (That's another unintended consequence of a pump blow, by the way.) I know your preference is not to stop, but slowing does defuse the situation. And if you're in a pace line or group, you don't need to be hitting each other and going down; the dog will be sitting there laughing at that outcome.

One thing that works if you know you have a particularly pernicious dog on your training route is a small air horn (the kind running off compressed air). A short blow and it'll stop any dog in its tracks. To dogs, he with the most noise wins. A couple days of riding past that dog and using the horn will usually cure the dog of the behavior.

Note that in many areas, laws don't require that dogs be locked up or even that they be vaccinated for the safety of a cyclist. If a dog brings down a cyclist, courts have a hard time prosecuting the owner. You can even be charged with injuring a dog. Again, no moralizing here, but that's the law. And you don't want a Texas ranch mom to come out with a shotgun because she saw you swing and take a hit at her dog. Unless you can manage escalation of force, as the police call it, you now have a bigger problem.

The point is that dogs aren't that hard to manage. The only exceptions are the marauding wild dogs at night that can seriously injure or kill, but farm or ranch dogs aren't in that category. They may be guarding, or herding, or most likely just having fun. Protect yourself first of all before going after the dog, because going after the dog can get you killed by a car and doesn't necessarily do anything except to make the dog nasty towards the next cyclist it sees. We're all really engaged in a little bit of dog training, like it or not, and that's the best way to handle this issue.

soulspinner
07-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Their eyes don't seem to like Gatorade either...:rolleyes:

ripvanrando
07-24-2016, 03:25 PM
I was knocked off my bike in Kentucky recently when dogs went right at my wheel and then got nipped the next day with dozens and dozens of dogs going after me every day as I made my way across the state. The dog that took me down almost got me killed by a truck behind me. I was moving but the dogs just came blasting down from the yard and one dove into my front wheel.

I now get off my bike and deploy one of the following three

1. Loud whistle (works quite often)
2. Pepper spray

I learned that getting bit is not the biggest issue

I had three dogs going after me at 1 am at the top of a 14% climb. If I had a gun, I would have shot the pitbull. No question.

chiasticon
07-25-2016, 10:08 AM
Remember that almost any ranch owner is going to use the words "No" and "Off", and the dog should know those if said loud and in a deep voicethis has worked well for me so far. partially out of this logic but also partially out of just screaming "NO!" for fear's sake. I usually couple this with sprinting like hell too. but it always seems to me that dogs lie in wait and come at you when you're gassed and don't have a solid sprint in you.

stephenmarklay
07-25-2016, 10:21 AM
I had a second pepper spray use today on a dog that I have trouble with. This time I did get a little in his face. I saw him licking his cheek and then going back from whence he came.

Lewis Moon
07-25-2016, 10:42 AM

I choose spray too.

chiasticon
07-25-2016, 11:12 AM
also, I sometimes wonder if it's a good idea to ride with dog treats in your pocket. or bacon. or just throw a bar or something at them.

of course, that would then make them want to chase cyclists even more, I guess. :rolleyes:

CunegoFan
07-25-2016, 11:17 AM
I don't understand how you guys cannot ride away from a dog but have time to ride one handed while messing around with your frame pumps, water bottles, squirt guns, or pepper sprays.

makoti
07-25-2016, 11:23 AM
I don't understand how you guys cannot ride away from a dog but have time to ride one handed while messing around with your frame pumps, water bottles, squirt guns, or pepper sprays.

We are really, really slow.

SpokeValley
07-25-2016, 11:50 AM

I do this as well with a loud "NO!". Too hard to get my pump off quickly.

ripvanrando
07-25-2016, 12:03 PM

How fast can you climb a 14% hill? Not as fast as a dog.

How fast are you after your fifth 200 mile day in a row and its 110F out?

How much slower did you get after your 5th decade of riding?

In suburban areas, a dog's territory might only be a few hundred feet whereas out in the country, it could be half a mile.

I now get off the bike. Shout "No" or "Bad Dog" or blow a really loud whistle. This works around 50% of the time. Just walking slowly solves 40% of the other dog problems.

sokyroadie
07-25-2016, 12:11 PM
I was knocked off my bike in Kentucky recently when dogs went right at my wheel and then got nipped the next day with dozens and dozens of dogs going after me every day as I made my way across the state. The dog that took me down almost got me killed by a truck behind me. I was moving but the dogs just came blasting down from the yard and one dove into my front wheel.

I now get off my bike and deploy one of the following three

1. Loud whistle (works quite often)
2. Pepper spray

I learned that getting bit is not the biggest issue

I had three dogs going after me at 1 am at the top of a 14% climb. If I had a gun, I would have shot the pitbull. No question.

I live in KY and fight this almost every time I ride - KY law is pretty clear, if the dog comes on public property after you it becomes fair game and you can take it out. There is no leash law in the county where I live and trying to reason with the owners is futile.

The next time I am taken down there will be a lawsuit - I am sick of trying to deal with this.

Jeff

sokyroadie
07-25-2016, 12:18 PM

The problem for me is that they can see you from a distance and it doesn't matter how fast you are if they come straight (90deg) after you. If you T-bone them you are going down.

Jeff

CunegoFan
07-25-2016, 12:42 PM
The problem for me is that they can see you from a distance and it doesn't matter how fast you are if they come straight (90deg) after you. If you T-bone them you are going down.

I would rather have both my hands on the bars and brakes instead of playing American Sniper with one hand and a water bottle.

ripvanrando
07-25-2016, 01:09 PM
I live in KY and fight this almost every time I ride - KY law is pretty clear, if the dog comes on public property after you it becomes fair game and you can take it out. There is no leash law in the county where I live and trying to reason with the owners is futile.

The next time I am taken down there will be a lawsuit - I am sick of trying to deal with this.

Jeff

KY is where I was taken down and then nipped on the next day while doing the TRANSAM bike race. An owner was sitting on the porch while one dog was trying to bite me. He never lifted an eye.

When traffic is flying by at 60-70 mph and 2-3 feet from you, taking a Prime from Sparky is not much of a prize when the consolation is being pancaked under the wheels of a car.

ripvanrando
07-25-2016, 01:11 PM

Jeff

This is exactly how I was taken down.

gmcampy
07-25-2016, 01:17 PM

EXACTLY, ask the 120# Great Dane that chased me Sunday!

Wheever
07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Most of the time when I run across a dog, I'm able to stop and yell at them to go home or whatever. Usually, that's enough. But I've had a couple of notable interactions:

One time a dog came out after me on an empty road, from my front left, charging full tilt, barking. I wasn't going to be able to get by him, and I was going too fast to stop before I got to him, so I aimed my bike at him as braked yelling my lungs out at him. He ran like hell. (I don't recommend this technique, and I have no idea what came over me.) It was pretty funny. He was like "Dude! What the hell?! That's not supposed to happen!" I chuckled for a long time over it.

Another time, some little yappy dog came out after me and chased me pretty hard. I had no problems outrunning him, but he kept up for at least a quarter mile. I as I came around a blind corner, dog somewhere behind me chasing, a Range Rover was coming in the oncoming lane pretty fast...and I knew what was about to happen. So I slammed on my brakes and yelled at the guy driving "SLOW DOWN! there's a dog in the road around the corner!" and he just looks at me and keeps going at speed. He went around the corner and I heard his brakes squeal and the dog give a short horrible scream. It made me really sick and sad, because I'm a dog owner, and I love dogs, and that was someone's beloved pet. Totally the owner's fault, but still. Sometimes **** just happens, and maybe the dog got out of the yard this one time. I don't know that the dog died, but given how small it was, I would think so. I didn't go back and check. :(

beeatnik
07-25-2016, 01:44 PM
As I was riding through a rough part of East LA at midnite, a pit bull shot out of a yard. I was in an intersection going about 17mph. The dog was easily running at 20mph plus. I froze and I could feel my foot being torn off. But, BUT, the dog didn't attack me. He just got about a bike length ahead and ran with me for about 2 blocks. Guy just wanted to race. :eek:

sokyroadie
07-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Let me just it leave it at this without further explanation.

I have timed it just right when a UPS truck is coming the opposite direction and there are (were) dogs that always chased.:eek:

Jeff