PDA

View Full Version : Holland MI riding?

CDollarsign
07-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Going on a family trip in a couple weeks and looking for some recommendations for riding around Holland. I've never been to Michigan so I'm not sure what to expect!

Also looking for recs on fun stuff to do. Off the beaten path stuff preferably!

nalax
07-23-2016, 09:36 PM
The Barry Roubaix gravel course is an hour away. For MTB Yankee Springs is in the same area. Custer is a little farther for another MTB. Saugatuck has a very nice beach. Excellent breweries all over Michigan!!!

saab2000
07-23-2016, 10:12 PM
I lived in western MI for six years and I loved the riding there. I'm a 99.9% road rider and stuck to paved roads for the most part and I enjoyed it. That part of MI isn't the most exciting but I enjoyed it even so.

I lived in Grand Rapids and would live in that part of the state again for the riding, and for other reasons.

allezdude
07-24-2016, 05:21 AM
Brad White from the UHC Pro Team owns Velo Citycycles and they offer regular group rides (Brad did the July 4th group road ride on his 29er" ) class act and very nice guy. If you want to race, every wed night at the grattan racetrack is maybe 45 minutes from holland.

We go to Holland every summer for a family reunion, so know the place pretty well. Fenville has a cider house "Virtue Cider" started by the guys from Goose Island that has an outdoor area where you can picnic, buy cheeses, cider etc. farmers market every Saturday in downtown holland. Check out the red lighthouse on Lake Michigan- you have to park on one of the streets near eldean marina- public access to the lighthouse is allowed only certain days of the week but if you bring a fishing pole & say you are going fishing, you can get past the access Gate anytime. It's not so much the lighthouse that's interesting but the cottages and neighborhood around it. The chain ferry in saugatack is a nice novelty- take that then climb the stairs to mt baldy. The duck rides in Douglas are very entertaining. Beer at the new holland and our brewery in holland ain't that great.

OP: you have kids- ages, I can make some other suggestions. Where are you staying?

CDollarsign
07-24-2016, 07:08 AM
I have a son who is 17 months and there will be a 7 month old as well. Thankfully grandma and grandpa will be there so I'm hoping my wife and I will have plenty of chances to get away.

We're staying near Holland State Park so as to be close to the lake.

My wife and I enjoy non touristy stuff. We plan to go to Grand Rapids for a day to load up on good beer and coffee. Other than that, no real plans...

CDollarsign
07-27-2016, 11:20 AM
bump?

chiasticon
07-27-2016, 02:36 PM
Beer at the new holland and our brewery in holland ain't that great.I'd tend to agree with that (for NewHolland, haven't been to Our Brewery). not exceptional, but worth checking out. the seasonals and pub exclusives can sometimes be quite good. the pub itself is nice too, food is good and the outside space is gorgeous.

I unfortunately have only passed through though, so I can't really give you recommendations as far as other things to do or good places to ride.

Matthew
07-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Really close to Holland state park you can ride Lakeshore Dr. Heads north into Grand Haven near where I live. Has a nice shoulder but gets a little busy this time of year. Rode it today!! Decent pavement with a few roller hills, especially closer to Holland. The beaches in the area are fantastic. Check out Tunnel park, which is just up the road from the state park on Lakeshore. Windmill Island is a bit of a tourist site you may want to check out. Grand Haven to the north is a nice little town. Really nice beach but quite busy. The Coast Guard festival is starting this weekend. Very busy time of year for the Grand Haven area. Check out Rock and Road Cycles for more local routes and group rides if you are inclined to do that. PM me for more info if you would like. Matt