PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Pyrenees & Ventoux

jeffg
07-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, the Legend and I (and the family) had some adventures in some spectacular scenery, and learned alot about heat recently!

Before heading off to a family reunion in Provence on the evening of June 24, I snuck away with the wife, kids (and mother-in-law) to the Pyrenees for a day.

We arrived in a wonderful Gite in the beautful village of Ludies in some gorgeous countryside. After a swim, and touring the grounds, our hostess brought out dinner outside and after chatting with all the guests, we retired to finish watching France beat Togo to qualify for the knockout stages.

On Saturday morning, my wife dropped me off in Tarascon-sur-Ariege for the beginning of the Ariegeoise cycling event. Roughly 3600 cyclists started the various routes, with the main event being a 170 km and 3625m adventure tackling the Port de Lers, Col de la Trappe, Col d'Agnes and Col de Port.

Thankfully the skies were clear as we headed out but it was obvious the day would be a hot one!

After rolling to Vicdessos with the main pack, we hit the beautiful and narrow climb of the Port de Lers, then hit the backside of the Col d'Agnes. I felt good as we passed wild horses, cows, etc. The descent of the Col d'Agnes showed how lucky we were not to have rain as it was very treacherous with tight, off-camber turns, melting tar, etc.

The main feed station came just before a loop to the Col de la Trappe, where the heat (up to 97 degrees) and humidity started to take its toll. Unfortunately, the salt quotient on this ride was supposed to be satisfied by sausage and camembert, with no bananas or other more heat friendly alternatives in sight.

By the time we hit the Col d'Agnes from Aulus-les-Bains (where Mayo basically gave up the Tour in 2004), the heat was causing riders to either grind away past many who were pushing, had called it quits or had keeled over in the heat! I swear it was worse than Skaggs Springs during the 2003 Terrible two with its 118 degrees due to the humidity (you could tell thunderstorms were brewing). Nevertheless, the scenery was breathtaking and great care was taken to keep the course as safe as possible.

A welcome descent led to Massat and the long but easy climb of the Col de Port. By this time I was so hot that I stopped breifly (twice) to soak my head in a stream and stretch my cramping feet, which significantly improved my morale. I just decided to ride at my own pace since I had only ridden outside six times so far this year.

The one strange thing was the decision to have the finish in Auzat rather than in Tarascon so riders without friends or family picking them up at the finish had to ride back to the start, resulting in some confusion on the roads. As I passed Tarascon the rain started to fall, but all the tricky descents were behind me, so I could have cared less. I rolled in for a pathetic 7:40, but was thrilled anyway. Boy, a Serotta is great to have for descents like these and is fun on the climbs too!

After a quick bite I then drove everyone to Provence.

One day I snuck out to ride Mont Ventoux during the boys' nap. Unfortunately that meant starting at about noon from Bedoin in 95 degree heat. Remembering the Col d'Agnes, which is very similar in difficulty to the portion from St. Esteve to Chalet Reynard, I started out slow but just had a blast! It coooled off after Chalet Reynard and the road was occupied almost entirely by cyclists. The fact that nobody passed me on the way up confirmed that real cyclists are smart enough not to ride in midday heat up the Ventoux (though 1:35 is still ok for hacks like me)!

Anyway, I will say again that the climb of Ventoux from Bedoin is the most beautiful I have yet experienced. All three times have been magical, though I have been lucky not to have frigid temperatures, mistral, or rain.

The Pyrenees are a gem to ride, and do not suffer from the crowds one finds in the Alps or Dolomites if you do not head out very early.

What a blessing to ride and vacation in such beautiful places with such a wonderful bike. My wife vows to come back a sip a little less wine and do a lot more biking next time! :banana:

jeffg
07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Col de Port

jeffg
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
Port de Lers

Ray
07-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the report and pics. I've never ridden any of the classic European stuff (just a few miles in Norway and a week in Wales - not technically Europe anyway). Someday, I'd like to get a bunch of riding in the Alps, Pyrenees, and Dolomites. For now, I get off vicariously on reports and pics like these.

-Ray

Climb01742
07-04-2006, 05:21 AM
thanks, jeff, for the report. i'm jealous! you've really ridden a lot of the great climbs in europe. good on you. and someday i've got to ride Mont Ventoux. sounds like a ride to remember. hope you climb many more peaks!

ps: i see you use a heart-rate monitor. what kind of numbers do you hit on the climbs, if i may ask? do you use it to pace yourself? what % range of your max do you try to stay within? thanks!

jeffg
07-04-2006, 06:19 AM
thanks, jeff, for the report. i'm jealous! you've really ridden a lot of the great climbs in europe. good on you. and someday i've got to ride Mont Ventoux. sounds like a ride to remember. hope you climb many more peaks!

ps: i see you use a heart-rate monitor. what kind of numbers do you hit on the climbs, if i may ask? do you use it to pace yourself? what % range of your max do you try to stay within? thanks!

Climb,

Thanks for the kind words.

I do wear a HRM due to the lack of a power meter for some feedback. Unfortunately the battery on the speedometer crapped out about 15 minutes into the ride, but I really just use HR & cadence.

As for the range, it depends on the ride.
I try to stay under 180 (roughly 90% MHR -- Max HR about 201) on the climbs unless its the last one or I am really pushing. For instance, I likely exceeded 180 a few times on Mont Ventoux last year during a century since Ventoux from Bedoin is the first major climb and you have a chance to recover before the next big climb comes. 168-175 is good for tempo climbing, above 175 is aggressive for me, or something is out of whack.

Also, the HR monitor catches some interesting information such as a big leap in HR due to not being used to altitude. I rode over half of a 6:30 event over 90% of MHR and knew it was a bit dicey.

On a long event, however, you have to remember that your HR will become depressed and it will not be an accurate guage of effort. Here a PM would be more useful.

In short, a HR monitor IMHO is a good tool but as with any tool, you need to know your body to make the feedback meaningful.

I will look at the data from these rides and let you know how theory stacked up to reality ... :banana:

vaxn8r
07-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I always love your ride reports and admit to jealousy about your great rides. Keep them coming.

zeroking17
07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
An inspiring narrative, Jeff, as usual. Your ride reports allow us to vicariously share your experiences. Let me be the 1000th person to tell you they're jealous. ;)

By the way, did you see Tour's Pyrenäen-Durchquerung article, which describes and illustrates a ca. 800 km route from Biarritz to Perpignan through the Pyrenees, criss-crossing from France into Spain and back again? The Col d'Agnes that you rode is part of that route.

I'm hoping to ride the route in the next few years. Anyone want to form a grupetto?

Elefantino
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
As for the range, it depends on the ride.
I try to stay under 180 (roughly 90% MHR -- Max HR about 201) on the climbs unless its the last one or I am really pushing.

I don't know at which fact to be more jealous: That you did it in 90 minutes or that you have a 201 heart rate.

Needless to say, it took me a little longer. (OK, a lot.) And it was misting and cold when we got to the top (very hot in Bedoin). But of all the climbs we did in France, it was the most incredible, and that includes l'Alpe d'Huez on race day. There's something so brutal, yet so beautiful, about the climb out of Bedoin, when you look at the side of the road ... the trees, the quiet, and the 11.9% for next KM stakes. And the poor folks who have stopped at a narrow point in the road and can't get started again.

Thanks for bringing back wonderful memories.

Climb01742
07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
gotta agree: that 201 caught my eye too. holy cow, dude. that's impressive. the only way my heartrate could ever get within a mile of that would have to somehow involve christy turlington. :beer:

atmo
07-04-2006, 06:31 PM
gotta agree: that 201 caught my eye too. holy cow, dude. that's impressive. the only way my heartrate could ever get within a mile of that would have to somehow involve christy turlington. :beer:
here pal -
no one has to know at all atmo. (http://christy.turlington.com/)

Grant McLean
07-04-2006, 08:14 PM

mine is 204 :)

I never thought that a big number was super special,
considering how average a rider i am, it can't be.
I think the volume per pump is more important.

g

jeffg
07-05-2006, 04:55 AM

HR is a means of gauging effort, along with a good sense of your own body; however, it is not a great means of comparing individual performance.

For instance, my max HR is (if you believe Carmichael's book) the same as Lance's, and my HR at threshold is with 1-2 beats. But what matters is that Tour Lance puts out 50% more w/kg at threshold than I do (and that's on a good day). So, he climbs Ventoux in just under an hour during the Tour. I broke 1:30 once in a TT like effort at the end of a ride. Hincapie's max HR is more like 220, but who's the better TT rider/climber?

On HR alone, what matters is that Lance can ride at a higher % of his max HR than I can for longer without blowing up.

In short, I believe HR is a wonderful tool for each of us to use, but not to compare ourselves with others.

The only way I might beat Lance up a climb is if he were carrying Christy Turlington and getting his HR up to 201 that way ... ;)

soulspinner
07-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Wow. Great stuff. Keep those reports coming. My wife wants to take me to France some day (she lived in Europe for a while after college) and at 50 Ive never been. Till I go keep it comin!

Elefantino
07-05-2006, 06:07 AM
HR is a means of gauging effort, along with a good sense of your own body; however, it is not a great means of comparing individual performance.

For instance, my max HR is (if you believe Carmichael's book) the same as Lance's, and my HR at threshold is with 1-2 beats. But what matters is that Tour Lance puts out 50% more w/kg at threshold than I do (and that's on a good day). So, he climbs Ventoux in just under an hour during the Tour. I broke 1:30 once in a TT like effort at the end of a ride. Hincapie's max HR is more like 220, but who's the better TT rider/climber?

On HR alone, what matters is that Lance can ride at a higher % of his max HR than I can for longer without blowing up.

In short, I believe HR is a wonderful tool for each of us to use, but not to compare ourselves with others.

The only way I might beat Lance up a climb is if he were carrying Christy Turlington and getting his HR up to 201 that way ... ;)

Thank you for making me feel better about heart rate. Now can you use your fact book to make me feel better about my time up the Ventoux, which was, um, not 1:30?