PDA

View Full Version : WOT: Fiberglass repair

stephenmarklay
07-22-2016, 08:05 PM
I have a shower that has a diverter to a second shower head and a grab handle installed.

The valves in both the shower are acting up after a couple of decades of use (sediment I am guessing) and the cost of replacing so much extra hardware seems silly.

So I started thinking maybe I should just full the holes for the diverter handle and the second water outlet and grab bar.

I know fiberglass repair is doable but I have never done it. Is this a job to tackle?

staggerwing
07-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Depends on how good you need it to look. A tall order if trying to match what you have almost seamlessly. If it just needs to be functional, there is a good chance you can make it work.

The easiest, if you know a plumber, or possibly ask at a plumbing supply store, is to find a broken tub/shower enclosure/etc that you can cut an appropriate patch from. Once sized, it would be a relatively simple matter to bond it to your current situation. Rough up backside of patch, and corresponding area on your enclosure with some 80-120 grit sandpaper and wipe down with acetone. Butter up the backside of your patch with some 20 minute epoxy repair resin and press into place, twisting it back and forth a bit for a good bond. Wipe up excess resin with acetone dampened, not soaking, paper towels. You can use some blue tape to hold in place if your resin is on the thinner side.

FWIW, almost all of this stuff is made from fiberglass cloth, with polyester resin, plus a polyester resin gel coat surface. Epoxy is a tougher, less smelly, slower drying resin, which is a better choice for bonding a patch in place. Epoxy resins are also used for most structural composite work.

buldogge
07-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Depending on how much workable depth you have (with plumbing behind)...how about finding a fiberglass(etc) soap/shampoo shelf/box and bond that in place...killing 2 birds with 1 stone, perhaps...???

-Mark in St. Louis

stephenmarklay
07-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks you guys. One thing I have going for me perhaps is that I can get to the back side and place some sort of backing on it so I could build up material. I am not sure it is worth it.

oliver1850
07-22-2016, 10:28 PM
Most seals in shower valves can be replaced. Take them apart, clean the brass bits and replace the rubber seals, (and handles if they're ugly). You can buy specific seal kits if you know the brand, or buy universal kits that come with a selection of O-rings and cone seals. I had a shower valve in a fixer-upper house that was totally nonfunctional but looks and works like new with about $20 spent for parts.

cachagua
07-23-2016, 02:09 AM
Believe Oliver. Pull it all apart, and then cut the water back on, to flush all the sediment out of the valve bodies and pipes. I like to attach a length of vinyl tubing to the valve body, to divert the flow downward and minimize splashing & cleanup. Then replace O-rings/seals/seats as needed, apply silicone grease liberally, reassemble, and vee-OH-la.

Do you have local shutoffs for the shower/bath right there? Now's the time to install them, if you want them. And you do -- only a cheezeball developer who doesn't even live in the same time zone as what he's building would omit shutoff valves.

Or if you really want all that plumbing outta there, just replace the whole shower stall. Patching fiberglass is possible, but it's a last resort. You've got too many options available to you to consider that yet.

paredown
07-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Most seals in shower valves can be replaced. Take them apart, clean the brass bits and replace the rubber seals, (and handles if they're ugly). You can buy specific seal kits if you know the brand, or buy universal kits that come with a selection of O-rings and cone seals. I had a shower valve in a fixer-upper house that was totally nonfunctional but looks and works like new with about $20 spent for parts.

^This^

Home Despot has a pegboard display by brand, and it is surprising what you can repair. I had to do my mother-in-law's bath taps not too long ago--from the early '70s--and an off-brand--and I found tap seats to fix her drip.

And I think I may have had to add a couple of pieces from a 'universal' kit.

stephenmarklay
07-23-2016, 06:11 AM
AWESOME you guys. It had occurred to me that perhaps I can clean them but did not take that thought seriously.

I am going to do it! I have some plumber supply places so I am sure between home depot and them I can get the rebuild kits.

I will put in some local shut off valves too as that was on my list anyway.

I am very grateful for the input!

staggerwing
07-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Yes to valve rebuild.

Turn off water, take out guts, toss in baggy, and take to a plumbing supply store rather than Hopeless Depot.

stephenmarklay
07-23-2016, 12:21 PM
I think I am going to put in valves today. That way I can buy some time and not have the main shut off. We have a second shower to use.