PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Campag 10 Speed Ultra Drive Crankset

prometheus20
07-22-2016, 04:55 PM
This one might be for Old Potatoe but I appreciate anyone's help. I have a 10 speed UD Record Group and it has come time to switch to a compact crank. Can I replace it with a new Veloce 10sp crank? If not, what do I need to get? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me up the hills!

tuscanyswe
07-22-2016, 05:06 PM
You can run any crankset you want. Even an 11s crankset. Even a shimano one.. No problems.

If you are staying with campy (seems logical) you may want to go with an ultra torque crankset as thats what you have today (right?). The new campy veloce crankset will be power torque so you will also need to get new bottom bracket cups that fits your new crank (power torque). Readily available just buy the correct threads to match your frame.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 05:29 PM
This one might be for Old Potatoe but I appreciate anyone's help. I have a 10 speed UD Record Group and it has come time to switch to a compact crank. Can I replace it with a new Veloce 10sp crank? If not, what do I need to get? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me up the hills!

UD, square taper? If so, need a 111mm bb spindle but the crank will work fine. Lower front Der and maybe shorten chain, if it's proper length now.

If Ultra Torque, as been mentioned, new cups for PowerTorque crank.

prometheus20
07-22-2016, 05:40 PM
UD, square taper? If so, need a 111mm bb spindle but the crank will work fine. Lower front Der and maybe shorten chain, if it's proper length now.

If Ultra Torque, as been mentioned, new cups for PowerTorque crank.

Yes its the old fashioned square taper UD. So if the 111mm bb is needed for a new Veloce, I'm wondering what would I need if I found a NOS Centaur?

R3awak3n
07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
you could also get a UT athena crankset. Running one on my record 10, works flawlessly and easy to get rid of the graphics (for the silver one that is)

zmudshark
07-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Yes its the old fashioned square taper UD. So if the 111mm bb is needed for a new Veloce, I'm wondering what would I need if I found a NOS Centaur?Same.

prometheus20
07-22-2016, 06:33 PM
you could also get a UT athena crankset. Running one on my record 10, works flawlessly and easy to get rid of the graphics (for the silver one that is)

Surprised to hear the 11sp Athena works so well. Would like a silver crank too as I like the classic look.

oliver1850
07-22-2016, 11:05 PM
If you're looking for the nicest C10 polished compact and cost isn't an object, look for a Centaur - either square taper (111 mm BB) or UT. Veloce arms of either type look nearly as nice but the rings do not.

If cost is a factor you'd be best served going to another brand of crank. I haven't used one but the Stronglight Impact is only $58 at Ribble and uses an easy to come by 107 mm JIS BB. There are surely some polished Shimano and SRAM compacts with low entry fees.

oldpotatoe
07-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Yes its the old fashioned square taper UD. So if the 111mm bb is needed for a new Veloce, I'm wondering what would I need if I found a NOS Centaur?

Same gig..Record and Chorus used a 102mm spindle, Centaur and below, 111mm, symmetric ISO BB..

prometheus20
07-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.