PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who wears a tie anymore ?

azrider
07-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Anyone?

I work in corporate setting and am business casual (slacks/button down) all week except for Fridays when I dress down (khakis/golf shirt). The dress code here is super lax (some wear shorts/hoodies :eek:) but because I am pulled into meetings/demo's with our c-suite regularly, I always want to look professional.

When I am client facing I'll go with a blazer but never a tie.

Anyway, I was asked to accompany one of our Account Executives to a client meeting next week and the AE heading the meeting wants us all in ties. (AE has never met with client face to face before either)

My advice of "hey man, even most F100 company Exec's don't wear ties anymore" is falling on deaf ears.

my question: Anybody here still wear a tie for work ?

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Company wear I work, still ties for any client meetings.

Joxster
07-22-2016, 04:41 PM
If I'm customer facing I wear a tie, I still frown on those that only tie a half windsor. All black tie events I still use a real bow tie, takes me a good few hours to remember how to tie one.

Gsinill
07-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Just rolled off a project after 16 months: suit and tie.

Lanternrouge
07-22-2016, 04:50 PM
For me, anything that's a public appearance, I wear a suit and tie and generally won't even take off my jacket. For just the office without clients around, which is most of the time, it's pretty much pants, a polo shirt and cycling socks.

azrider
07-22-2016, 04:51 PM
Ok, to clarify, I too wear ties for formal events and even donned one for our Holiday party, but I'm talking strictly for work.

OtayBW
07-22-2016, 04:59 PM
It is completely context dependent. I'm in academia, so 95% of the time, it is lax. If I give a talk somewhere, however, I may or may not wear a tie. If I am chairing a session or if important visitors are coming, I might be more inclined to wear one. A lot of time, I choose to wear one not because I feel like I have to, but either out of respect for the people (or venue), or because want to assert some kind of professional posture/stature or something. It can be useful. Same was true when I was in the corporate world.

Sometimes I just feel like it. It just depends....

kfreytag
07-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Anyone? (AE has never met with client face to face before either)

Wha? Who *has* met with the client?

re: question, I've been in tech for > 25 yrs. and work in the Bay Area. I wear jeans and polo or dress shirt. I haven't seen a tie in a decade. When I do, it's an out-of-town salesperson.

yashcha
07-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Tie every day.

AngryScientist
07-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Not uncommon for me to be in a full suit a few days a week.

For an important meeting, it's always better to be over dressed than under dressed. trust me on this one.

Dave B
07-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Never wear ties and don't know if I ever could. button downs, polo shirts, business causal is all that is needed to teach 12 year olds.

azrider
07-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Wha? Who *has* met with the client?

re: question, I've been in tech for > 25 yrs. and work in the Bay Area. I wear jeans and polo or dress shirt. I haven't seen a tie in a decade. When I do, it's an out-of-town salesperson.

Clarification: The AE has spoken w/ client over phone for past 6 months, but has never been 'onsite' and met with them face to face. If he had been onsite, and could report back that ties were a part of their corporate culture then I wouldn't have questioned it. But because this is a Fortune50 company, he automatically assumes a tie is necessary. Which, to me, is a fallacy.

I came from Big Blue's largest SaaS partner in the Enterprise Supply Chain space and not once was I ever in a meeting where my team OR the client was wearing a tie. Not once.

Tie every day.

Finance?

witcombusa
07-22-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't even own one... :banana:

ofcounsel
07-22-2016, 05:17 PM
My office is generally business casual. But I like to mix it up and wear a tie every other week or so, just to keep things interesting.

makoti
07-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Ok, to clarify, I too wear ties for formal events and even donned one for our Holiday party, but I'm talking strictly for work.

Ties really look goofy with my scrubs.

eddief
07-22-2016, 05:20 PM
think of how incredibly weird it is 1. that we cover up as much as we do (ok to see man boobs, but not girl ones) and 2. that we put that dumb thing in a silly knot around our necks. I own some, but I am sure they'd be way out of fashion.

notsew
07-22-2016, 05:23 PM
I work in a business casual environment and I wear a tie every day.
Everyone looks better wearing a tie.
I'm on the younger side, I feel ties garner a little more respect.
Dudes don't have a lot of options to accessorize. Ties and watches, so I wear ties and watches.
Chicks dig ties.

eBAUMANN
07-22-2016, 05:26 PM
So glad I don't have a "real job" ;)
My office is super casual, shorts/t shirts every day during the summer casual...CEO included.
Perks of working for a "dot com" I guess.

I read something awhile back that the entire practice of suits and ties at work was linked to society at the time, where the normal every day attire for any man was...a suit and tie. Salesman and other business folk would dress to suit their clients. Society evolved and fashion changed but the practice of suits and ties remains. I agree everyone looks better in a suit but since when is looking good the priority for doing business? I've always paid far more attention to what's coming out of someone's mouth than if their shoes match their belt.

That said I've only had a (barely) "office job" for 5 years and work pretty much on my own all day with little to no other human interaction ;)

azrider
07-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Ties really look goofy with my scrubs.

Ha...not sure why but this scene in Rushmore just popped in my head

https://youtu.be/lMd2gB9L8So?t=3

zmudshark
07-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Arizona is not like the rest of the country. What passes for 'dressed up' in AZ wouldn't get me into some restaurants in MI.

Joxster
07-22-2016, 05:45 PM
Ties have multiple uses, you wear one to look smart and you can tie your girlfriend to the bed so you can go out on your bike more ;)

beeatnik
07-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Not uncommon for me to be in a full suit a few days a week.

For an important meeting, it's always better to be over dressed than under dressed. trust me on this one.

The East Coast is so weird. :D

2LeftCleats
07-22-2016, 05:53 PM
I work in a medical office. Wide range of physician attire. I always detested the white coat but reluctantly wore a tie. Not many others do, so when I couldn't tie my ties after bilateral thumb surgery I just said the hell with it. I've got enough gray that I look like I know what I'm doing. As long as I bathe and wear clean clothes, I distinguish myself from most of my patients.

Cicli
07-22-2016, 06:06 PM
I wore a tie once. 6th grade graduation.

gdw
07-22-2016, 06:12 PM
If the account executive wants you in a tie wear one. It's his account and his call, you're there to support him not second guess him.

ofcounsel
07-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Sage advice.

Ralph
07-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Sometimes it depends on type of business.....but I always thought when I worked......"You only get one chance to make a first impression". This holds true for clients and your superiors at work.

sitzmark
07-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Clarification: The AE has spoken w/ client over phone for past 6 months, but has never been 'onsite' and met with them face to face. If he had been onsite, and could report back that ties were a part of their corporate culture then I wouldn't have questioned it. But because this is a Fortune50 company, he automatically assumes a tie is necessary. Which, to me, is a fallacy.

I came from Big Blue's largest SaaS partner in the Enterprise Supply Chain space and not once was I ever in a meeting where my team OR the client was wearing a tie. Not once.

F50, F100, F1000 ... still depends on the audience. Meeting with a team of "sneaker people" (tile/concrete floor workers) you'll probably not be judged on whether you all show up in tie/no tie. Meeting with Director level and above and no prior contact ... you can't lose wearing ties, even if they aren't. If not ties, suggest all are in "team uniform" - crisply pressed shirt with embroidered company logo, complementary dress slacks. Tacit message is the group is a well disciplined team. Suits/ties make a similar statement - "corporate uniform"... team.

Easier to overcome impression of being over dressed than not. Can usually make up for an unfavorable first impression with strong command of facts, figures, industry knowledge and creative solutions ... but why climb out of a hole if you don't have to? There are likely scenarios where "too corporate" also makes a bad first impression - more likely to occur in a young, fast-paced high tech environment. Sometimes you gotta go with your gut ... Good luck to your team.

rileystylee
07-22-2016, 06:39 PM
What a twat

wc1934
07-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Wore only bowties for years - now totally tieless except for major meetings.
It is a lot easier getting ready for work - no need to worry about matching tie with shirt and suit/jacket.

rileystylee
07-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah

MattTuck
07-22-2016, 06:54 PM
If you like handcrafted bikes, perhaps you'll like handcrafted ties.

http://yellowhook-ties.myshopify.com/collections/ties

MattTuck
07-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Company wear I work, still ties for any client meetings.

I see what you did there. :cool:

flydhest
07-22-2016, 07:00 PM
I made a major life change in March. Previous 18 years, suit and tie every day. Now, jeans to the office but suit if I am at a conference and on a panel. No tie when not on a panel.

When I went from being a professor to the suit part of my career, it took a couple months to adjust. ActuLly took me a while to adjust this year, too, to not wearing a tie.

carpediemracing
07-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Last job was suit/tie every day.

Before that, polo shirt or button up and jeans/khakis.

chuckroast
07-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I most recently worked for a bank (back office though, not customer facing). There was kind of a weird phenomena. All of us in the field were pretty casual, khakis and open collar. But those poor guys in Charlotte, who had to see and be seen, were suited up and in a tie death match.

We recently moved, I got rid of 90% of my ties, just brought a couple with sentimental value.

christian
07-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I wear a shirt, tie, navy or gray suit, and lace up dress shoes every day to work. I have for the last 19 years and don't see any reason to change.

But then, I am one of those grumpy old codgers who won't attend meetings (or otherwise leave my office) in shirtsleeves.

azrider
07-22-2016, 07:18 PM
I wear a shirt, tie, navy or gray suit, and lace up dress shoes every day to work. I have for the last 19 years and don't see any reason to change.

But then, I am one of those grumpy old codgers who won't attend meetings (or otherwise leave my office) in shirtsleeves.

You also work on WallStreet................jus sayin ;):p:D

dustyrider
07-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Anyone?

I work in corporate setting and am business casual (slacks/button down) all week except for Fridays when I dress down (khakis/golf shirt). The dress code here is super lax (some wear shorts/hoodies :eek:) but because I am pulled into meetings/demo's with our c-suite regularly, I always want to look professional.

When I am client facing I'll go with a blazer but never a tie.

Anyway, I was asked to accompany one of our Account Executives to a client meeting next week and the AE heading the meeting wants us all in ties. (AE has never met with client face to face before either)

My advice of "hey man, even most F100 company Exec's don't wear ties anymore" is falling on deaf ears.

my question: Anybody here still wear a tie for work ?

It really doesn't matter what you're talking about but appearance is 90% of the game. Think about it.

Cicli
07-22-2016, 07:41 PM
It really doesn't matter what you're talking about but appearance is 90% of the game. Think about it.

For sure.
At least these dudes had ties on.

Birddog
07-22-2016, 07:51 PM
People judge other people in 3 ways in this order: How you look, what you say, how you say it. Buy a tie with a bike design on it.
http://www.zazzle.com/cycling+ties

Spinner
07-22-2016, 07:55 PM
... at an up-scale restaurant that requires a coat for gentlemen. I received multiple compliments from the wait staff and several diners.

The key to wearing a tie is to have a shirt collar that is sized appropriately.

I always receive preferential treatment from others when wearing a smart tie.

Cheers.

CampyorBust
07-22-2016, 07:57 PM
No ties for me neither thank you very much!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/TheseAreThingsILike/Album%203/NooseTie.jpg:):D

sg8357
07-22-2016, 08:49 PM
Art directors wear ties....

saab2000
07-22-2016, 09:06 PM
A tie is a required part of my work uniform. When I went to my most recent testing event it was 'advised' I appear for the testing authority in a tie and something other than jeans.

In my world that can be pretty awkward, but I'm glad I wore it. The guy seemed impressed and he was also dressed for the occasion and mentioned dressing up to the seriousness of the event. After about an hour he said we (my training partner and myself) could take them off and lighten up. But it seemed they wanted us in something better than jeans and sneakers even though it's company internal training and testing and there's zero public appearance for this event.

My previous company didn't require a tie, but did require dress pants and a decent shirt.

rounder
07-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Accountant here. Ties daily in the office except Fridays when we get to go cas.

At job sites, suits and ties. Not to please us, but out of respect for the client.

ajhapps
07-22-2016, 09:29 PM
No more ties for me! Worked in management consulting for 16 years, and basically wore a suit and tie every single day. NYC summer, 90 degrees, 80% humidity, live on the 6th floor of an unairconditioned walk up? Get ready to sweat!

Now I live in California. Went to a meeting with a brand partner yesterday and had actually planned on wearing a button down shirt. Completely forgot to put on a button down, so rolled into the meeting in jeans and a t-shirt. My counterpart... jeans and a t-shirt. Whew.

Big work dinners or conferences still might get a sport coat, possibly a suit, but man, I haven't worn a tie in like 2 years. If I took all of the ties in my closet and added up the cost, I could probably pick up a pretty nice new frame. Dammit.

clawhammer
07-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Funny this should come up today...

I'm an urban planner, which means going to a lot of public meetings. I forgot to bring a tie for yesterday's planning commission meeting so I rode home during lunch to get it. The meeting starts and the only people in ties are the development services director, the senior planner, the county attorney, and me (sadly, it's an all-male commission—the only female there was the person we contract with to take down the minutes). None of the commissioners were wearing ties, even the one who is an attorney, so after commenting on this the director stands up and removes his tie.

The disclaimer here is that I work for a rural county that still has a substantial farming character.

Normal days, though, when I'm working in the office and interacting with people at the counter, it's khakis and a button-down shirt.

fuzzalow
07-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Tie? Yes. Although not exclusively Hermes, they as neckties and Alden as shoes have been constants throughout my entire career. If nothing else, they provides less to think about although well short of looking at business dress as uniform.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mlYl7wLOPq4/U_QC22XaAEI/AAAAAAAAAqk/YaoKar-ozE0_h1dXQ2dhWhoS-ZJfAxjVQCCo/s576/dsc00778.jpg

azrider
07-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Can't tell if you're kidding or not......but I would definitely disagree with that statement (again.....ONLY if you were being serious)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajhapps
07-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Tie? Yes. Although not exclusively Hermes, they as neckties and Alden as shoes have been constants throughout my entire career. If nothing else, they provides less to think about although well short of looking at business dress as uniform.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mlYl7wLOPq4/U_QC22XaAEI/AAAAAAAAAqk/YaoKar-ozE0_h1dXQ2dhWhoS-ZJfAxjVQCCo/s576/dsc00778.jpg

That is an impressive collection of ties!

rwsaunders
07-22-2016, 10:12 PM
If I'm headed to meet with a client and I'm not sure of the dress code at their office, I ask. It's never failed me. There is no sense walking in with a suit on and the crowd is "jeaned out". Even worse, the C-suite is all suit and tie and you are dressed business casual. If they tell me business casual, I still wear a jacket as you can always take it off.

Early in my career, I was mentored by a boss who was a West Pointer and he was always dressed for the proverbial parade ground. One of his favorite sayings..."short sleeves, short pants, short socks, short tie, short career."

dustyrider
07-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Can't tell if you're kidding or not......but I would definitely disagree with that statement (again.....ONLY if you were being serious)

You're not thinking about it. Honestly, give it some thought. What something looks/sounds/smells/tastes/feels like is 90% of your satisfaction. I'm not taking a prescription from my doctor who writes in crayon, or financial advice from someone who says: "you know what I'm sayin'" at the end of every sentence, I certainly won't pull over for an unmarked car flashing yellow lights. You might be a five star chef, but I ain't drinking a steaming pile of crap...unless you say it's the best coffee ever made in some people's case. I highly doubt a bike made in Taiwan is better than a bike made in the good ole' wherever if the same attention to detail is practiced. Perception is a powerful thing.

Why not use perception to your advantage? Wear a tie because it benefits you.

azrider
07-22-2016, 11:44 PM
If the account executive wants you in a tie wear one. It's his account and his call, you're there to support him not second guess him.

Such a simple response, yet so spot on.

Arizona is not like the rest of the country. What passes for 'dressed up' in AZ wouldn't get me into some restaurants in MI.

Ha. VERY true Z. Hope you're enjoying your summer bud.

You're not thinking about it. Honestly, give it some thought. What something looks/sounds/smells/tastes/feels like is 90% of your satisfaction. I'm not taking a prescription from my doctor who writes in crayon, or financial advice from someone who says: "you know what I'm sayin'" at the end of every sentence, I certainly won't pull over for an unmarked car flashing yellow lights. You might be a five star chef, but I ain't drinking a steaming pile of crap...unless you say it's the best coffee ever made in some people's case. I highly doubt a bike made in Taiwan is better than a bike made in the good ole' wherever if the same attention to detail is practiced. Perception is a powerful thing.

Ok. I certainly see what you're saying. Perception is reality: I most definitely would not take health advice from a doctor who smokes.

However. In my line of work it really boils down to what comes out of your mouth as opposed to what you're wearing. IT architecture is great in the sense that it's black or white. One either knows what they're talking about, or they don't.....and once the discussion gets to that point that fancy tie ain't gonna help.

Brian Cdn
07-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Ties... have 2. One for Weddings and one for funerals.

Elefantino
07-23-2016, 12:06 AM
For the last 15 years of my journalism career I dressed like the actors in "Spotlight" - khakis, button-down, no tie.

Which is why it should have won the Oscar for best costume design.

Satellite
07-23-2016, 12:17 AM
Yep I wear ties 4 times a week sometimes 5 if I am interviewing a potential employee on a Friday as I did today.

I once had a chance to buy one of Scot Nicole's Ibis Titanium Bow Ties. Not the bike but an actual Bow Tie although I would like to have the bike too. Still kicking myself for NOT buying it.

I have over 200 ties. I wore a different tie every Mon-Thursday without wearing the same tie once for an over an entire year.

Jgrooms
07-23-2016, 06:23 AM
I don't get the aversion to wearing a tie.

And as has been said, the #1 reason to wear one- chicks dig 'em!

Guys it doesn't take much effort to have a little fashion sense. Clothes that fit, matching accessories, a nice watch, etc. i would guess most reading this are fairly fit. Emphasize it. But if you want to wear a polo that comes to your elbows, pleated kakies & tennis shoes so your 'comfortable' that's cool. You'll fit right in with the overweight spanx crowd 😳

lookout2015
07-23-2016, 06:46 AM

That really depends on the industry and audience. In most of my professional meetings, if you showed up in a tie you'd be labeled as the account manager / sales guy and summarily ignored by everyone in the room, who are probably in shorts and t-shirts

I personally have no aversion to ties, and wear a suit / tie regularly in my personal life for various events. Or to account teams and sales for that matter. The business would go nowhere without either... But that is the perception in much of tech

Bottom line, as others have said, wear what's appropriate - which varies with audience and may or may not involve a tie

ahumblecycler
07-23-2016, 07:00 AM
I always wear dress slacks and shirt with a tie tucked away in my pocket for the times I have to talk with a bird or so. The jacket comes out as well when it involves the brass (or worse).

I personally like ties and will sometimes wear one even when I do not "need" to simply to add some color to my office attire. I have discovered to the importance of spending more money (if necessary) for quality material and not simply purchase the cheapest possible like I did as a poor graduate student :D

guido
07-23-2016, 07:13 AM
I probably have a couple in the back of a closet somewhere.

I wear shorts spring summer and fall and jeans or khakis in the winter...

One of the advantages of the software biz...

oldpotatoe
07-23-2016, 07:27 AM
wasn't sure what a google of 'cyclist wearing a tie', would bring up.

buddybikes
07-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Shorts, collars shirt (usually), sandals. I am a "senior mgr" but no reporting to me. Then again, 98% of the people i deal with are govt or mult-nationals over the net.

ripvanrando
07-23-2016, 08:23 AM
I typically wear ties at funerals, weddings, the first day with a C level client and at 3 star French restaurants.

I actually miss the old days.

avalonracing
07-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I wear ties as they are a dress code for the real estate team I am on. That said I think ties are RIDICULOUS! They serve no practical purpose and they are insanely hot when it is 100 degrees out... like it this week. Between an undershirt, a collared dress shirt, a tie and a suit jacket you have over dozen layers of fabric around your neck which is an important area for body cooling.

I've often though that the reason we still wear these fancy little flourishes is because that people that are traditionally in charge of companies are paunchy middle-aged men and that a suit and tie can hide their expanding midsections... therefore everyone has to.

sand fungus
07-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Suits and Ties Everyday. Agreed with someone else's comment only a full windsor will do. After 20 years in that environment I feel comfortable and it feels natural to me. Still commute to work on my bike.

Jgrooms
07-23-2016, 10:43 AM
^ Actually the overweight 25-40 crowd are responsible for the billowing untucked shirt popularity. This to 'hide' their guts.