PDA

View Full Version : Who would you want to win the TdF? (possible spoiler from stage 18)

Keith A
07-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Looking at the current top 10 GC contenders after stage 18, who would you like to win the TdF? It certainly looks like the outcome for the top spot is secured, but if YOU could control the result...who would you want there?

eBAUMANN
07-22-2016, 02:03 PM
im a pretty big fan of froome, even more so after this tour, but if i could give it to anyone else it would be mr. porte, as hes made steady progress up the GC since his flat tire with some great rides and has been the only one to really come close to putting froomie into the pain cave.

but yea, in terms of who DESERVES TO WIN this year...pretty hard to argue that the right man isnt already in yellow.

Red Tornado
07-22-2016, 02:39 PM
Romain Bardet. Because he's French and on fire all of a sudden! Even if he doesn't win (prob won't) the French have something to cheer about. I like to root for the underdogs.
I'd be OK with either Porte or Yates, too.

MattTuck
07-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Tom Dumoulin

Yeah, he's out. But he's a guy that I really enjoy watching. Able to kill it in the time trials, and even an uphill time trial. Brailsford thinks he's a future grand tour contender, so, whether that counts for or against him in your book...

Lines up at the one day races and does decently. They say he has to lose weight to be a contender in a grand tour (and who amongst us, doesn't?) and that is probably true... which kind of annoys me. The relative importance of climbing in grand tours creates freakazoid riders, that I don't approve of.

I think next year, they should include a ITT stage that includes the last 20km of Roubaix, and finishes on the velodrome.
5 Camphin-en-Pévèle 238 1800 ****
4 Carrefour de l'Arbre 240.5 2100 *****
3 Gruson 243 1100 **
2 Willems to Hem 249.5 1400 **
1 Roubaix, Espace Crupelandt 256.5 300 *

As for the folks actually in the race. Dan Martin has been an animator... I like Mollema, but clearly today was the end of any podium hopes for him.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Quintana, Aru, Valverde....anybody guess why I picked them. Bardet honorable mention cuz he uses mechanical sram.:D

eBAUMANN
07-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Quintana, Aru, Valverde....anybody guess why I picked them. Bardet honorable mention cuz he uses mechanical sram.:D

your brand loyalty is admirable :beer:

and yea, bardet, able to overcome his handicap to win a stage and the 2nd step, what a rider! :p

tigoat
07-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Richie would be my pick.

azrider
07-22-2016, 04:06 PM
What no Tejay ?

:help:

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 04:11 PM
your brand loyalty is admirable :beer:

and yea, bardet, able to overcome his handicap to win a stage and the 2nd step, what a rider! :p

Ya kidding?? :cool::rolleyes::p:Dthe rest of the team had the disadvantage.

eBAUMANN
07-22-2016, 04:11 PM
What no Tejay ?

:help:

Well, the original question was asking who IN THR TOP 10 you would like to see win...then some other rule breakers took off running. I like TJ and would like to see him do wel but it just wasn't happening this year. Props to him for keeping it real in that post stage interview yesterday, no excuses.

cadence90
07-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Aru.

Because I like Sardegna.

choke
07-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Valverde.

Just so I could watch the bike forums explode.

CampyorBust
07-22-2016, 08:18 PM
My vote is secret, well the vote counter proabably knows.

Not a single for Quitana? I guess that makes sense. Can we at least vote Froome out of this virtual race? Or is this a great example of the back the winner mentality at work?:fight:

jlwdm
07-23-2016, 05:33 AM
?..

Can we at least vote Froome out of this virtual race? Or is this a great example of the back the winner mentality at work?:fight:

On Froome for me it is because he has been a great champion who seems to be really enjoying the race. He showed superior descending skills in the early climbing stage, he got in the four man break with Sagan which was great fun, he has survived two crashes, he has been great in the mountains but not dominate and he rode a sensational second time trial. It is easy to go out too fast in a 10 mile time trial but Froome held a little back and just flew through the downhill finish. He has become likable.

Froome did make his first real mistake yesterday in attacking on the wet descent. It could have cost him the race.

Jeff

Keith A
07-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Interesting results so far. Seems that Froome is more popular that I thought.

cadence90
07-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Interesting results so far. Seems that Froome is more popular that I thought.

Yes, and Quintana less so.

CampyorBust
07-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Bump for more votes! :banana:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p605/victorcurro/RomaineLettuce-Naturallytoyourdoor_zps3c52134d.jpg

rustychisel
07-24-2016, 09:12 AM
just cos?