PDA

View Full Version : Tales from broom wagon

Joxster
07-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Some of you want some tales from back in the day...........

I was riding a seven day stage race in the Franche-Comte department, on the third stage I managed to get in to a six man break, with about 30km to go the team cars comes up to me and Guimard tells me how the stage will play out and I was going to finish 4th. Being young and a bit headstong I had different ideas and attacked from the group and rode like my life depended on it, and given the death stare from the team car it may well have. I got caught with six km to go, got worked over in the sprint to get sixth. Then the fun began. I got the biggest public dressing down by Guimard, I was then told that I had to ride the 80km in the rain to the hotel. All the way to the hotel I was telling myself I will not let that b*stard break me. When I got to the hotel I had missed dinner, was back of the queue for my massage. The following day I was whipping boy fetching bottles, bringing back breaks and this went on for the rest of the race. Needles to say I learnt my lesson and didn't go against team orders again

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 10:36 AM
More of this please.

And don't think I'm not frantically googling the System U roster over that period to suss things out. My expert detective skills have led me to believe you're Jacky Durand.

William
07-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Some of you want some tales from back in the day...........

I was riding a seven day stage race in the Franche-Comte department, on the third stage I managed to get in to a six man break, with about 30km to go the team cars comes up to me and Guimard tells me how the stage will play out and I was going to finish 4th. Being young and a bit headstong I had different ideas and attacked from the group and rode like my life depended on it, and given the death stare from the team car it may well have. I got caught with six km to go, got worked over in the sprint to get sixth. Then the fun began. I got the biggest public dressing down by Guimard, I was then told that I had to ride the 80km in the rain to the hotel. All the way to the hotel I was telling myself I will not let that b*stard break me. When I got to the hotel I had missed dinner, was back of the queue for my massage. The following day I was whipping boy fetching bottles, bringing back breaks and this went on for the rest of the race. Needles to say I learnt my lesson and didn't go against team orders again

More tales please! :cool:

William

stien
07-22-2016, 10:50 AM
Would love some more tales as well. Always fun to hear about it!

I'll never forget when I flatted in the beginning third of a hilly road race and the neutral car gave me a carbon wheel (I run alloy). I paced back to the field just before a climb and descent. Found out quickly and rudely that my rear brake lever had been replaced by a noise button. It would squeal and squeal with no braking effect at all. I got thoroughly ribbed by a few riders. It was bad enough to have to pace back and ride with one brake in the peloton!

93legendti
07-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Great story!

vqdriver
07-22-2016, 12:41 PM
my rear brake lever had been replaced by a noise button

:banana:

cinco
07-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Stay incognito, if you like. Maybe that will allow you to share more. I eat this kind of stuff up!

Joxster
07-22-2016, 02:02 PM
There's next to nothing about me on the web pre 94 and even then it's negligible. There are times where I wish there were more and other times I'm glad there isn't. I've never seen my ride at the Olympics, although I can relive every second of it.

bluto
07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
And don't think I'm not frantically googling the System U roster over that period to suss things out. My expert detective skills have led me to believe you're Jacky Durand.

Yay! what fun......me next me next

kidding. creeper.

Very cool story Joxter

Dave B
07-22-2016, 02:19 PM
oh I have SOOOOOOOO many questions!

Please share everything you want and of course keep the secrets you need to.

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Yay! what fun......me next me next

kidding. creeper.

Very cool story Joxter

I'm totally kidding. Jacky Durand would have more swear words.

Bring 'em on. I love these kinds of stories. Its why the Secret Pro at Cycling Tips is a must read for me.

alessandro
07-22-2016, 02:20 PM
I love it. Please post more when you're so inclined.:beer:

Joxster
07-22-2016, 02:48 PM

This was from the race that I think got me noticed (or maybe the 3 day at Grancy le Chateau)

I was 16 and got a ride in a post tour crit with a few of the 86 tour riders. Because I wasn't in 'the gang' I wasn't made aware of the script, the Simon brothers had a decent Tour de France and they were down to win the kermese, as they were the local riders. I wasn't sure of how things were run and had asked a couple of the riders what the script was and what was 'Prime' I had heard it a few times in other races, the usual practice is a bucket goes round the crowd and that money is used for the primes. The circuit was about 3km round with a 300 metre cobbled climb just before the finish. It was an hour plus 5 laps The whistle went for the first prime and I went for it but messed up and got beaten for it, but in classic points race style I attacked and a group of four got away including Pascal Simon. Each time the whistle went I went for the prime and was winning them. With me thinking about all the cash I was accumulating, so I kept on going for them. With about 8 laps left I attacked at the base of the climb and I got a gap, I kept driving like a maniac with my team DS jumping up and down shouting at me but not having a great grasp on the language I thought he was encouraging me, afterwards he explained the 'rules' I won the kermese from Pascal Simon. As I was sitting at the side of the circuit after the race my team DS and soigneur came over with the spare bottles, I asked for one and was handed it. I asked if it was water as I popped the lid and as I poured it over myself I tasted Isostar. At the podium I got my prize money and flowers and then came the prime winners, what I wasn't aware of was the main sponsor was a wine domain. So each prime I won was a case of wine, I had won seven cases of wine. On the drive home I said I was thirsty and could we stop to get some water, Bernard handed me a cork screw and said I should help myself.

makoti
07-22-2016, 03:32 PM
This is great stuff. Please, keep 'em coming.

KJMUNC
07-22-2016, 03:46 PM
People have written books with less content that you've shared in this thread. You could probably do well writing a "tales from the peloton" style e-reader. I'd pay to read it!

azrider
07-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Too Cool!

(full disclosure: I had to google ISOSTAR)

Keep them coming !!!

Dave B
07-22-2016, 04:23 PM
This is awesome!

Saint Vitus
07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Great stories, keep them coming!