PDA

View Full Version : There goes the neighborhood-Campag disc wheels

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 07:55 AM
http://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/CampyWorld/Product/the_zonda_my17_now_also_available_in_db_version?ut m_campaign=88659&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Zonda%20Freni%20A%20Disco

AngryScientist
07-22-2016, 08:01 AM
yuck.

i get that some folks do like them, but i'm getting sick of how everything new today HAS to be disc. All the new cross and "adventure" bikes, and a good chunk of the road segment today is being sold with disc. Not interested in the least.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 08:09 AM
yuck.

i get that some folks do like them, but i'm getting sick of how everything new today HAS to be disc. All the new cross and "adventure" bikes, and a good chunk of the road segment today is being sold with disc. Not interested in the least.

Mee neither..stuff sometimes run by marketeers..interbike right around the corner...Campag EPS wet disc, yippee:butt:..maybe etap wet disc..maybe..but whogas..I have 4 pair of brakes(2 Deltas).....

zap
07-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Campagnolo is rare sight.

Road disc is rare....at least on go fast rides.

I don't expect to see any Campy disc equipped bicycles.

MattTuck
07-22-2016, 08:38 AM
yuck.

They've run out of improvements on non-disc wheels, or atleast they are so incremental, that they're not enough to get people to buy a new item this year. Discs are demonstrably different, and thus a 'new feature' that can be sold...

zank
07-22-2016, 08:45 AM
I think they look awesome. But I'm a disc homer.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Campagnolo is rare sight.

Road disc is rare....at least on go fast rides.

I don't expect to see any Campy disc equipped bicycles.

You will see 'em at interbike..no doubt.

Kirk007
07-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Well many folks, and I don't disagree, think Zondas are the best bang for the buck factory wheelset you can buy. Campy factory wheels in general seem to be the energizer bunny of the class. Since 11 speed is proving to be compatible across platforms, why not campy wheels for those who want discs on a road bike?

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Well many folks, and I don't disagree, think Zondas are the best bang for the buck factory wheelset you can buy. Campy factory wheels in general seem to be the energizer bunny of the class. Since 11 speed is proving to be compatible across platforms, why not campy wheels for those who want discs on a road bike?

Better wheel for the $ than the shimano road disc offering PLUS, pretty sure the HG 11s FH body is plug and play on these wheels.

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 09:22 AM
I am stupidly excited for Campy disc.

zap
07-22-2016, 09:58 AM
You will see 'em at interbike..no doubt.

Doubt I will be there. Are consumers allowed to go?

R3awak3n
07-22-2016, 10:05 AM
yuck.

Although I agree with you, having spent a couple of weeks in Portland where there big hills closer to the city and I am ridding them quite a bit. Also a bunch of rain (only had a couple days but winter is rain everyday) I appreciate disc more than ever. I was coming down a crazy hill in the wet and just came to a stop no problem. Got me thinking how crappy my enve wheels would have stoped in a situation like this. Being here for a minute really changed my mind on these things for road use.

David Kirk
07-22-2016, 10:18 AM
I hardly think the sky is falling....I think we're going to be just fine.

dave

foo_fighter
07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Hasn't Fulcrum had disc wheels for a while? Even AFS(Centerlock)!

pdmtong
07-22-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't like that the market pushed campagnolo into discs. It's har to imagine they could recoup their tooling and mfg costs from the tiny market that would be campy users wanting disc. not to mention the re-directed resources this project consumes.

would they really cede much market share by just passing on offering discs?
the road disc market for campy has to be small.
the gravel disc market for campy even smaller.

4Rings6Stars
07-22-2016, 01:09 PM
I don't like that the market pushed campagnolo into discs. It's har to imagine they could recoup their tooling and mfg costs from the tiny market that would be campy users wanting disc. not to mention the re-directed resources this project consumes.

would they really cede much market share by just passing on offering discs?
the road disc market for campy has to be small.
the gravel disc market for campy even smaller.

Looking towards the future...whether we want to admit it or not I think a large portion of ALL bikes will be disc eventually. They are already behind the curve, best not to wait even longer to enter the market. Crazy old curmudgeons on steel bikes aren't going to support the entire company...

Personally, I have bikes built with discs and without (all campy - but with mech. discs) and reach for the rim-brake bike every time... but I would be willing to try out Campy disc brakes/wheels in the future.

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Spoiler alert: Campy has already pissed off the crumudgeons on steel bikes crowd with their groupsets of the last decade or so.

Everyone wants their retro-fetish alloy jewelry back, but the higher ups in Vicenza recognize that's not the way forward.

Hence, carbon everywhere and now dipping into the disc brake game.

d_douglas
07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
I hardly think the sky is falling....I think we're going to be just fine.

dave

No kidding. I look forward to Campy disc brakes. What's the big deal? We know that big companies drive demand for this stuff, but it's not to say it wo t be good stuff. I haven't heard much trash talking of shimano disc brakes.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Spoiler alert: Campy has already pissed off the crumudgeons on steel bikes crowd with their groupsets of the last decade or so.

Everyone wants their retro-fetish alloy jewelry back, but the higher ups in Vicenza recognize that's not the way forward.

Spoiler? I have EPS on my MXLeader, not pissed at all and look in the ductionary under curmudgeon or Luddite and you see a picture of.....me. OBTW, Campag has been all about carbon for the last 17 years.

pdmtong
07-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Looking towards the future...whether we want to admit it or not I think a large portion of ALL bikes will be disc eventually. They are already behind the curve, best not to wait even longer to enter the market. Crazy old curmudgeons on steel bikes aren't going to support the entire company...

Personally, I have bikes built with discs and without (all campy - but with mech. discs) and reach for the rim-brake bike every time... but I would be willing to try out Campy disc brakes/wheels in the future.

No kidding. I look forward to Campy disc brakes. What's the big deal? We know that big companies drive demand for this stuff, but it's not to say it wo t be good stuff. I haven't heard much trash talking of shimano disc brakes.

If I want mech, I will go with campy.

If I want discs, i will go with shimano.

If I want electrons, i will go with SRAM.

You guys may think I am confused but those would be my preferences.

I'm not saying I think road/gravel discs are unnecessary, I am saying I would not choose campy over shimano for that application both components and hub/wheels.

FlashUNC
07-22-2016, 02:29 PM
Spoiler? I have EPS on my MXLeader, not pissed at all and look in the ductionary under curmudgeon or Luddite and you see a picture of.....me. OBTW, Campag has been all about carbon for the last 17 years.

I didn't mean you personally Peter. But there are folks out there who are total retro-fetish grouches wondering why Campy still doesn't crank out Nuovo Record style stuff.

I know your gripes about disc brakes are not a Campy-specific issue. :banana:

donevwil
07-22-2016, 02:47 PM
I look at this as an opportunity for the cash strapped folks running Campy 9/10 to economically put together a disc gravel bike. My last two bikes were rim brake largely because I couldn't afford a new custom disc Campy wheelset (or two), or a new gruppo after the frameset purchases.

choke
07-22-2016, 04:39 PM

Everyone wants their retro-fetish alloy jewelry back......Raises hand. I'll probably never buy a new group again....for me silver alloy is the only acceptable choice.

velofinds
07-23-2016, 11:06 AM
This is so far removed from my consciousness that I was honest-to-God expecting to see something like this when I clicked on the thread:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b1/2d/9c/b12d9c35e9ea7d2ee5828a49576638b4.jpg

Wondering if I'm the only one :)

Duende
07-23-2016, 12:09 PM
This is so far removed from my consciousness that I was honest-to-God expecting to see something like this when I clicked on the thread:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b1/2d/9c/b12d9c35e9ea7d2ee5828a49576638b4.jpg

Wondering if I'm the only one :)

Ha! Me too! Hope this means their disc brakes are around the corner though!

Ronsonic
07-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Ha! Me too! Hope this means their disc brakes are around the corner though!

That's what I was expecting. Maybe those with disk brakes.

Ronsonic
07-23-2016, 09:39 PM
I didn't mean you personally Peter. But there are folks out there who are total retro-fetish grouches wondering why Campy still doesn't crank out Nuovo Record style stuff.

Maybe I'm misunderestimating them, but Campagnolo is a niche market supplier. They do great racing parts and lovely not-so-racy parts. There isn't a reason on earth their non-racing bits shouldn't retain that great aesthetic.

spookyload
07-24-2016, 12:03 AM
Campy has been a reactionary company since the 80's. ShimaNo came out with SiS, campy followed a few years later. ShimaNo came out with Di2 and campy followed with EPS. Now ShimaNo road disc is getting a market share, you have to expect Campy to follow. Not saying that is a follower thing, maybe they just can't develop, test and produce as fast as ShimaNo. That might be a good thing. Disc is coming. Hate it as much as much as you want, but people said the same things in the 80s about index shifting. Friction shifters were just fine and it was the industry forcing uneeded technology. Can't remember, but I think it is campy who gets and extra gear to market faster however.

The truly interesting part is to see how fast the UCI's backbone will fly out with disc wheels now that Campy is on board with disc products.

cadence90
07-24-2016, 12:23 AM
The Campagnolo-Shimano History Seminar held by Dr. Prof. Old Potatoe has been scheduled for +/- 4:30AM PST on Sunday, July 24, 2016 in Paceline Hall, Room 101. Attendance is free. Seating is unlimited.

:)

oldpotatoe
07-24-2016, 05:46 AM
The Campagnolo-Shimano History Seminar held by Dr. Prof. Old Potatoe has been scheduled for +/- 4:30AM PST on Sunday, July 24, 2016 in Paceline Hall, Room 101. Attendance is free. Seating is unlimited.

:)

bring cheap beer...:)

BTW-another urban legend..Campag went to 11 in 2009, shimano introduced Di2 in 2009, 10s. There was a meeting(in Vicenza, BTW) between Valentino and Yozo, with interpreters, of course. In an attempt to isolate the rude upstart(sram), shimano agrees to go to 11 if Campag produces and markets their EPS(in development for almost 2 decades)....and the rest is...history.

rain dogs
07-24-2016, 07:37 AM
I'm curious where the negative sentiment comes from? I imagine it is disc road?

My thinking is:
1. Campagnolo produces one-of, if not, the best range of factory built wheels available in the market. Their wheel quality is superb.

2. I am a customer who wants disc wheels - ie for my cx bike that i use in road + any off road/dirt/mud/crud/single track application. Or if I ever just had a "one-bike-to-rule-them-all" bike. I don't ever see myself buying a MTB again cause I can do everything in the MTB world I'm interested in on my cross bike + easily more road distance with it.

So, Why would I not buy these?

It is extremely likely I will own this wheelset in the future. I just bought a pair of non-disc Zonda's for a road bike. If these existed 1 year ago I would (almost guaranteed) be much happier with these Zonda DB's than my Stan's Alpha 330's.

The only reason I would think not to buy these is that disc wheels have opened my mind slightly to the idea of having carbon clincher rims.

:confused:

PS. If you folks are right, they are a total failure, and nobody buys these, I will take lots of pics of them when I won't be able to refuse buying them at -60% blow-out pricing. :banana: