PDA

View Full Version : Bad eBay seller, great customer service

KJMUNC
07-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Six weeks ago I won an auction for a Colnago Master, Lampre team bike....complete with number hanger, Athena 8 speed, Vento wheels, and C-Record Delta brakes. I was incredibly excited as it was going to be a great addition to my steel bike stable.

The buyer and I emailed a few times back and forth during the auction, as I was in the Netherlands at the time and he was in Antwerp. He declined to let me come see it, but he had tons of feedback and not one negative.

So I win the auction (while I was on an island in Sweden.....I love technology!) and paid immediately. He indicated he would ship within 5 days and confirmed when he did. Then he went dark.

When he confirmed shipping he said it might take "up to three weeks" and didn't provide any tracking info. Major alarms went off, but I waited it out. During that time I emailed him a couple of times and he never responded. However, he has tons of live auctions and continued to get feedback. The estimated arrival date came and went and after two more weeks, I finally opened a case with eBay.

eBay asked that I contact the seller and give him 4 days. I did, and still no response. At that point, eBay told me that I could open up a case for them to review.....that was yesterday. I woke up this morning and they had already approved my refund and deposited my money back in Paypal in full.

I am normally not a huge fan of eBay, but this time they went beyond my expectations.

The seller's name on eBay is old-race-parts. He has lots of great vintage stuff, but please beware and avoid him at all costs. Others have since posted negative feedback as well. I don't know what happened to the dude, be he continues to list stuff, so he's still active.

I'm glad I got my money back but still very disappointed that about not getting that frame as I had great plans for it. So now I just have figure out what to replace it with.....:banana:

Kirk007
07-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Lots of folks listing cool Colnagos on Ebay these days. One 62 cm C50 seems to be passed back and forth between two Netherlands buyers - seems fishy. I just took a chance on a NOS Merckx and the buyer was very slow to get it respond to emails or ship. Its supposedly on its way - will see on Saturday.

zzy
07-21-2016, 11:53 PM
He didn't like the price it sold for so he didn't ship it. Ebay makes this fairly easy for sellers. I've won a number of items where sellers have conveniently lost the item withing a few days of the auction ending. Your money was never at risk, so I don't consider it good customer service unless he was penalized. Ebay sides with buyers universally and I'll be more impressed when they have a system where the seller isn't screwed everytime the buyer files a complaint.

Peter P.
07-22-2016, 04:36 AM
I had a similar experience with eBay and a seller when I won an auction for a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Ebay refunded all my money immediately, once I went through the process.

My only complaint was, it was hard to drill down through eBay's web site and find the exact procedure to go through to make it happen. I wish it was just a set of bullet points to follow. Also, you have to file your claim within a certain number of days, which is important to buyers to be aware of.

thwart
07-22-2016, 07:02 AM
I don't know what happened to the dude, be he continues to list stuff, so he's still active.

Glad to hear that you got your $ back... and maybe eBay has 'good customer service', but given how they manage their process (they don't; it's much more profitable that way), the place will continue to have the reputation it now enjoys.

Rpoole8537
07-22-2016, 07:24 AM
I've had four recent bad experiences on eBay recently trying to purchase parts for my current build. Two eBay "retailers" canceled orders after I made the purchase. Both stated they did not have the item. If they don't have it why is it posted. Another seller sent me carbon bars which are so damaged that they are not safe! Another seller shipped a seat post 12 days after I paid for it. I am finished with eBay Forever!
Thank goodness for Paceline where I purchased a group, a frame, and pedals all at reasonable prices and all were in excellent condition. This community is wonderful and I am honored to be a Paceliner.

OtayBW
07-22-2016, 07:29 AM
...as I was in the Netherlands at the time and he was in Antwerp. He declined to let me come see it...That would have raised strong suspicion for me right there, or it might even have been a deal breaker. Glad it worked out for you, though.

AngryScientist
07-22-2016, 07:30 AM
i have had nothing buy good experiences buying stuff from ebay, but i mostly buy brand new stuff from vendors with 99.9% feedback or higher and lots of it.

so, in the case presented here, does the seller get no penalty other than the negative feedback?

in this particular case, with paypal and ebay, there was virtually no way for you to get screwed out of the money, but still frustrating.

oldpotatoe
07-22-2016, 07:42 AM
i have had nothing buy good experiences buying stuff from ebay, but i mostly buy brand new stuff from vendors with 99.9% feedback or higher and lots of it.

so, in the case presented here, does the seller get no penalty other than the negative feedback?

in this particular case, with paypal and ebay, there was virtually no way for you to get screwed out of the money, but still frustrating.

I see these threads all the time and the fault is crappy/dishonest/clueless sellers, not the 'plumbing' of ebay, IMHO. Iffa ya got a better plan/system/program/biz, launch it..;)

Dead Man
07-22-2016, 08:04 AM

The couple of times I've had major problems with sellers and had to open claims of various type, when all was said and done and "resolved," I was not allowed to leave negative feedback. I guess they figure if the claim is resolved, you aren't allowed to ....... Warn others of the sellers reprehensible behavior? Don't get it.

eBay doesn't automatically side with buyers, though. I had a dispute as a seller once- buyer bought a blem part that I completely, thoroughly, and adequately advertised as a blem.. Then wanted to return it a week or two later citing it was a blem. :rolleyes: I told him no, he left me negative feedback.. I don't know who actually opened the claim, but they sided with me and erased the negative feedback.

But then... Again... Once resolved, the system wouldn't let me leave HIM the negative feedback he so richly deserved.

CampyorBust
07-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Had my first bad experience with the fleas recently as well. After much back and forth they saw the light. Good customer service is a no brainier IMO.

nesteel
07-22-2016, 08:36 AM
I see these threads all the time and the fault is crappy/dishonest/clueless sellers, not the 'plumbing' of ebay, IMHO. Iffa ya got a better plan/system/program/biz, launch it..;)

To some extent, it IS the fault of Ebay when they allow the aforementioned clueless/dishonest sellers to ply their wares with no penalty for their shady behavior. If you're not allowed to leave negative feedback after the seller treating you like crap, and refusing to deliver what was paid for (a contractual obligation, BTW), how does the next buyer know the seller sucks at life? It's nice that you get your money back, but shielding the crap sellers from negative feedback is just as shady.

AJM100
07-22-2016, 08:41 AM
I noticed today that a seller of used bike parts was selling chainrings the larger of which was clearly worn - he stated it was accurately - but the profiled of the teeth cried out safety issue. Couldn't believe they were even listed for sale. Buyer beware.

The seller is probably known here - I have never bought from him - overpriced for condition of most items IMO. Goes by the clever name of putting time in as if you were in jail!

smontanaro
07-22-2016, 08:46 AM
@KJMUNC Were you able to leave (negative) feedback for the seller? If not (because the auction was effectively canceled), that might explain why the seller always has 100% positive rating. There's no downside to the failed transaction.

Has the Colnago turned back up at auction? From your description, I'm guessing it was this bike (http://www.ebay.com/itm/152112940006).

weisan
07-22-2016, 08:55 AM
K pal, glad to hear that you have managed to recover your money.

>So now I just have figure out what to replace it with.....

What 'bout an MXL? :D

KJMUNC
07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
He didn't like the price it sold for so he didn't ship it. Ebay makes this fairly easy for sellers.

I'm fairly certain that's exactly what happened. I thought the price was good, but still only just a fair deal considering the risk of buying overseas, paying for shipping, etc.

I can't leave feedback now that the case is closed, which is the really crappy part. I'm glad to have my money back, but it sucks that someone else might be in the same boat when dealing with this seller.

I was really looking forward to that frame.....never have seen one before!

Wei-pal, I've already been down the MXL road and it's just too overbuilt for me. I prefer the SLX/TSX bikes and try to find things that are iconic or unique, so I'll bide my time until I find something interesting in a 60cm!

Jaq
07-22-2016, 11:48 AM
It cuts both ways.

A while back, I sold an old Warn winch on ebay. Said specifically - more than once - that I would not ship it. So a guy buys it. He's from Michigan (I'm in Los Angeles). He begs and pleads for me to ship. I give in.

When he got it, he started filing claims. Unfortunately for him, I'd kept meticulous records and taken pics, and even had some of his own that he'd sent me (of the crate arriving intact and then looking as if it had been opened with a sledge hammer).

After some back and forth, Ebay took my side. But that really turned me off the Ebay experience. Ebay was fine - better than fine - but the guy was such an egregious a-hole that I just cringe when I think of selling big items.

Shame, too. I've got a Mercury 25hp 2-stroke outboard with zero hours that I've gotta sell - and as bad as Ebay might be, I shudder at the thought of Craigslist.

slidey
07-22-2016, 12:23 PM
It cuts both ways.

A while back, I sold an old Warn winch on ebay. Said specifically - more than once - that I would not ship it. So a guy buys it. He's from Michigan (I'm in Los Angeles). He begs and pleads for me to ship. I give in.

When he got it, he started filing claims. Unfortunately for him, I'd kept meticulous records and taken pics, and even had some of his own that he'd sent me (of the crate arriving intact and then looking as if it had been opened with a sledge hammer).

After some back and forth, Ebay took my side. But that really turned me off the Ebay experience. Ebay was fine - better than fine - but the guy was such an egregious a-hole that I just cringe when I think of selling big items.

Shame, too. I've got a Mercury 25hp 2-stroke outboard with zero hours that I've gotta sell - and as bad as Ebay might be, I shudder at the thought of Craigslist.

Your stuff, your money, your choice, but those two statements is what I'd call as a demonstration of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and I fear, you're the only one worse off.

paredown
07-22-2016, 04:32 PM
I've had mostly good experiences with eBay, both as buyer and seller. Most expensive thing I've bought--my current truck (2003 Tundra, purchased in 2005 sight unseen), most expensive thing sold--probably my Colnago CT-1.

I've purchased several frames from Europe that arrived without problems, one that came complete with some undisclosed rust problems (Dutch riders ride a lot in the rain--just saying...) but until shipping went through the roof, I got some good buys on relatively hard to find bikes, including a NOS Colnago Super.

I've had stuff show up that was not as advertised (last one was a microPC that had a BIOS password that I could not clear to reset stuff) and the seller worked well on the return.

Had a couple of baubles as a seller--a processor that the buyer claimed was dead (sold untested as I received it and advertised as such) that I got a negative for (no contact from buyer) and I have given the occasional freebie refund on small items where it wasn't as the buyer expected. One item that simply disappeared in shipping that I refunded the buyer. I have had to take back only one item that I can recall--a laptop that I then just passed on to my sister.

I've had some pretty good folks as buyers--I mixed up shipping a couple of hubs that went to the wrong people--but I made it right and got no negatives from it, even though it was totally my mistake.

I find one of the hardest things is "condition"--on detailed feedback I have gotten points deducted, and I thought I was providing full disclosure with good photos--and I have definitely received stuff that was more worn that it was described as--but it averages out I think.

I guess it is just the random nature of the game.

Fivethumbs
07-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Are these auctions binding contracts or not? I am of the opinion that when you place a bid you are making a binding offer and that when you win the auction a binding contract between you and the seller has been created. It seems that ebay makes it too easy for a seller to breach a contract with the only remedy offered to the buyer is rescission/refund. That's fine if there are grounds for rescission but many here (myself included) have won something, never received it, and had to be satisfied with a refund. Generally, a seller's unhappiness with the selling price is not grounds for rescission. I understand ebay is not a court of law but they should have a policy to penalize sellers that regularly breach their contracts without valid grounds.

azrider
07-22-2016, 05:03 PM
I'm fairly certain that's exactly what happened. I thought the price was good, but still only just a fair deal considering the risk of buying overseas, paying for shipping, etc.

I can't leave feedback now that the case is closed, which is the really crappy part.

Hmmm.....I wonder if that's by design. By keeping the item and forcing you to open a claim he's less susceptible to negative feedback and can just say item was lost in transit, or play dumb.

tuscanyswe
07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
You should have bought my team sc locally if you were in sweden .)

Im one of those who seem to have had good luck with ebay. Ive had like one sour deal out of 100+ Glad to hear you were fully reimbursed its nice to know that this part work at least. Sorry you missed out on a nice bike, thats never fun.

Rpoole8537
07-22-2016, 06:24 PM
AZrider, I think you are on to their game. However, the three items that I bought were ALL buy it now. Two were, oops, we don't have that item. One was shipped after 12 days when I contacted the seller. He said he would return the shipping charge but he hasn't as of today. That's not important to me. Perhaps they did not realize that their item was listed "buy it now".