PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a cross disc wheelset

samtaylor1
07-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I am having a cross bike built for me and I have decided to use disc brakes (I am very happy about that decision) the question I have is what road disc brakes are there other then the avid disc brakes (I have heard good things about these), and what hubs and rims should I get. I would like to stay under 500 (I work at a bike shop so I would generally be shopping out of Quality). Note I am a big guy. I am 6'7" and 275 lbs.

Thanks for the help Sam

Marburg
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
If you want to run the disc brakes with road levers (i.e. STI, Campy) I think the Avids are the only choice you have. They're fine, by the way. A little compromised in final strength compared to the MTB versions, but fine.

As for the wheels, hm. Sounds like you need to build them strong. I'm not sure if Quality is offering any pre-built cross wheels (as distinguishable from 29er wheels). Is your frame 130 or 135 in the back? If it's 135 I'd say something like XT discs to CXPs (?) or Open Pros. Or maybe a Sun or Alex rim if you need to save money. Built 'em 36 hole 3 cross, no less.

Off the top of my head I don't the whole range of 130BCD disc hubs, other than the really gucci high end stuff (cough Am Classic). I'm sure they exist. They may even be worthwhile.

dvancleve
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
What does a rear disk do to the dish on a 9/10 speed rear wheel? Does it make it pretty even or is is still flatter on the cassette side? If it is pretty well centered than any sturdy rim that is wide enough for the tires should be fine. If still not centered then maybe an offset rim would be best. If the rear ends up close to dishless then maybe an offset rim up front as I know that the disk makes a front wheel have dish more like a rear. A rim to consider if you want something a bit beefier than a regular road rim would be the Velocity Synergy (black or silver, 32 or 36 hole I think, offset and regular versions and available with black sidewalls for disk use).

Doug

If you want to run the disc brakes with road levers (i.e. STI, Campy) I think the Avids are the only choice you have. They're fine, by the way. A little compromised in final strength compared to the MTB versions, but fine.

As for the wheels, hm. Sounds like you need to build them strong. I'm not sure if Quality is offering any pre-built cross wheels (as distinguishable from 29er wheels). Is your frame 130 or 135 in the back? If it's 135 I'd say something like XT discs to CXPs (?) or Open Pros. Or maybe a Sun or Alex rim if you need to save money. Built 'em 36 hole 3 cross, no less.

Off the top of my head I don't the whole range of 130BCD disc hubs, other than the really gucci high end stuff (cough Am Classic). I'm sure they exist. They may even be worthwhile.

Jeremy
07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
If you can, make sure that the rear spacing is 135mm. At your height and weight, the better drive side triangulation and minimized dish will be very important for a cross wheelset. I would use XTR disc hubs. They are quite light, very high quality and have very good dish characteristics. Interestingly, the center-right dimension is 2mm better on XTR than XT non-disc hubs. I am not sure if this is true for the disc version, but I think that it is. You could probably get away with an Open Pro, but you might want to consider a stronger touring or 29" specific rim.

Jeremy

samtaylor1
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
I was thinking about going with the 135 Phill Wood disc Hubs, I am not sure about the rims yet. THoughts?

Jeremy
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I was thinking about going with the 135 Phill Wood disc Hubs, I am not sure about the rims yet. THoughts?

Velocity Dyad
Salsa Delgado
DT TK7.1
Mavic T-520

All of these would be strong, moderately light and relatively wide.

If you want to push the weight envelope a little you could try:

Velocity Fusion
Mavic Open Pro
Alex R-380 or DA-28
DT RR1.1 (double eyeleted version)

Jeremy

Treadly
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Hayes offers 3 mech. disc brakes!

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_mec_mx1.shtml]

Marburg
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Ah, but do any of them work with the short cable pull of a road brake lever?

Newp.

I second the rim suggestions above, though the Delgado cross is an explicitly wiiide rim, isn't it.

Phils to either the TK7.1 or maybe even Mavic MA3s would make pretty unbeatable wheel.