PDA

View Full Version : BB squeak found....Not BB

Ralph
07-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Been having a squeak seemingly coming from BB on a CAAD 10 with pressed in sleeve running a mid 2000's square taper Chorus crank. But to be sure....double checked everything (I thought). Stem handle bar interface, stem tight, headset spacers, checked BB in adaptor sleeve, tightened cassette, chainring bolts, lubed seat post, tightened seat on frame rails, tightened skewers, bottle cages, etc. Every single thing went over. Except......

Today changed out the rear Campy Zonda wheel for a 32 spoke traditional wheel with black Record hubs, etc. Squeak GONE. So that leaves spokes squeaking, Campy Veloce 13-26 loose cog 10's cassette squeaking, or skewer. Getting closer to figuring it out. Now know I can solve this, and not buy a new crankset. It's not always a BB 30 issue.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Been having a squeak seemingly coming from BB on a CAAD 10 with pressed in sleeve running a mid 2000's square taper Chorus crank. But to be sure....double checked everything (I thought). Stem handle bar interface, stem tight, headset spacers, checked BB in adaptor sleeve, tightened cassette, chainring bolts, lubed seat post, tightened seat on frame rails, tightened skewers, bottle cages, etc. Every single thing went over. Except......

Today changed out the rear Campy Zonda wheel for a 32 spoke traditional wheel with black Record hubs, etc. Squeak GONE. So that leaves spokes squeaking, Campy Veloce 13-26 loose cog 10's cassette squeaking, or skewer. Getting closer to figuring it out. Now know I can solve this, and not buy a new crankset. It's not always a BB 30 issue.

Lube on FH body outside, a little grease. Lockring TIGHT.
Little drop of boiled Lindseed oil at eyelets and where spokes enter hub.

melac1
07-21-2016, 02:20 PM
I'd place my bet that its the cassette being loose.

Ralph
07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Lube on FH body outside, a little grease. Lockring TIGHT.
Little drop of boiled Lindseed oil at eyelets and where spokes enter hub.

Thanks

Tickdoc
07-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks

I chased one for what seemed like forever and it was just axle/fork/dropout interface. Coulda swore it was bb. Little grease and poof it was gone.

Infuriating.

Gummee
07-21-2016, 02:32 PM
I'd place my bet that its the cassette being loose.

...or the QR...

BTDT

M

soulspinner
07-21-2016, 02:39 PM
...or the QR...

BTDT

M

last time this happened to me it was the skewer...dry as a bone.............

eddief
07-21-2016, 03:08 PM
a good place to start.

rePhil
07-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Mine was the skewer

Bob Ross
07-21-2016, 04:52 PM
it was just axle/fork/dropout interface. Coulda swore it was bb. Little grease and poof it was gone.

Interdasting. I have never heard of anyone having to grease the axle/fork/dropout interface before!

sw3759
07-21-2016, 05:01 PM
yeah nearly every one I get is usually the front skewer click or squeak at the dropout face.
also,on occasion some wheels need a touch of lube where the spokes cross

ultraman6970
07-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Front quick release.

ripvanrando
07-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Lawyers lips and QR can make creaking noise on one of my bikes

Ralph
07-23-2016, 09:53 AM
FYI....Figured out what it was. It was the Zonda rear skewer.

Switched wheels back where they came from. Zonda rear wheel back to CAAD 10 and Black Record Hub...32 spokes....IRD Cadence....rear wheel back to steel frame. But this time....used the Black Record skewer in the CAAD 10 with Zonda wheel....and the Zonda skewer with the Black record hub wheel in the steel frame. Neither squeaks or creaks now. Must be something about the CAAD 10 aluminum frame or drop out interface that magnifies any sounds. Whatever....don't hear it on the custom steel frame (Enve Fork) with Richard Sachs dropouts. I'm happy. These kind of things drive me nuts.

Ralph
07-23-2016, 11:06 AM
The owner of a local (terrific) small bike shop says when he installs BB30 cranksets.....they don't squeak. However.....I am so programed to immediately think every little creak is from the BB30 BB on the CAAD 10 I ride a lot.

The same bike shop owner installed the pressed in adaptor sleeve (50 grams) so I could run a Chorus square taper crankset on my new CAAD 10....and I was immediately programed to doubt his work.

Have 3 nice almost new Campy square taper cranks I need to wear out (Chorus, Centaur, and triple Centaur). Otherwise....would use an outboard bearing crank set. As long as this adaptor sleeve works out....can run any kind of outboard bearing crankset I want....UT or PT, or whatever new comes alone, etc.