PDA

View Full Version : Low Testosterone

johnniecakes
07-21-2016, 11:11 AM
So for about the last 6 weeks I have been feeling really wiped out. Not just on the bike but pretty much all the time. So went to the doctor to have a check up and had some blood tests done. One of the tests was for testosterone, both tests came back in the very low end of normal . Free serum has a range of 3.8 to 14.8, I am at 5.2. The total serum has a range of 240 to 950, I am at 262. I just got the results this morning and have not yet begin to read up on what these numbers may mean. I turn 60 in October so I guess some decrease is expected but looking to see if anyone has experience here with this type of thing. Thanks

topflightpro
07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Based on the information provided, you are within the "normal" ranges, just at the lower end of it, which is just part of aging.

If you want to up your numbers, your doctor can prescribe testosterone for you, but once you start taking it, your body likely will stop producing testosterone on its own. Also, you will not be able to compete, as testosterone is banned, and they do not offer TUEs for it.

malcolm
07-21-2016, 11:29 AM
Replacement is still controversial and not yet mainstream although it's becoming more accepted all the time.

To properly evaluate needs more than testosterone levels. To know what those levels really mean they must be plotted against your sex hormone binding globulin, without that it's just guessing.

If you do go the replacement route you will have to look at your estrogen/estradiol.

I see a fair number of people on replacement by their family doctor that have never been properly evaluated and estrogen has not even been considered. No offense to FP guys, but the testosterone is just part of the story.

OtayBW
07-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Get a hot wife! :banana:

Cicli
07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Get a hot wife! :banana:

Or a girlfriend to accent your wife. :bike:

tiretrax
07-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Did you get tested for anemia?

AJM100
07-21-2016, 11:46 AM
have them do a blood panel that checks into prolactin levels too? If you prolactin levels are high then you may have a pituitary issue. Consult an endocrinologist before going replacement therapy for a real workup to rule causes out. GL.

tjg
07-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm 56 and I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was prescribed topical Androgel which I used for a couple of years, but it was a hassle, and I wasn't always consistent. About a year ago I started getting testosterone injections every three weeks. I have felt so much better and have much more energy. Yes, there are other factors that we had to consider, but it has worked out very well for me.

BLD 25
07-21-2016, 05:06 PM
There are many natural ways to increase testosterone, including exercise and diet. If you don't lift weights at all, that might be a good start. Involve as many big muscles as possible. Hopefully your doc can help with that advice

Plum Hill
07-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Welcome to middle age.

Louis
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
There are many natural ways to increase testosterone, including exercise and diet. If you don't lift weights at all, that might be a good start. Involve as many big muscles as possible. Hopefully your doc can help with that advice

Does the Troy Barbell company wine and dine the medical community like Big Pharma?

I think we know what most docs will say.

2LeftCleats
07-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Testosterone supplementation is the Wild West of medicine. There is an unfortunate lack of information as to what 'normal' is. There is a wide range of normal values. It's hard to know what your level means since it's not likely you had testosterone testing when young and energetic. There's a decline as one ages, but some argue that since humans didn't typically live this long a century ago, it's reasonable to push levels up to what they are for younger men. A similar argument was made for women and for years it was common to supplement menopausal women (with estrogen, not testosterone). After some concerns about cardiac and cancer risks, that effort was severely dialed back. So far, there has not been any proof of increased risk of prostate cancer or cardiac disease with testosterone use in men. You do have to monitor red blood count, among other things.

I've noticed a big disparity in results. Some men do experience improved energy, sexual performance and physical well-being, but others with similar T values don't. That's because there are frequently other factors that sap energy: stress, depression, sleep deprivation, and other health conditions.

I think the jury is still out.

The role of Big Pharma and it's advertising barrage can't be ignored. Injectable testosterone is relatively cheap, but many men don't like the hassle of injections every couple of weeks and they often notice a diminution of benefit towards the end of their injection cycle. For that reason, the topicals have become the popular choice, but they are really expensive, I believe around $300 a month, and it's frequently difficult to get insurance to pay.

buddybikes
07-21-2016, 05:58 PM
When did they test it? 8:00AM is best time, testosterone drops during day.

Sure they won't send you, but it should be managed by an endocrinologist.

Rpoole8537
07-22-2016, 07:55 AM
About five years ago, I had no sexual energy and could no longer do climbs that previously were kind of fun. My doctor said lets run some test and see. My T Level was 113. He then ran some other test to see if he could isolate the cause. Sometimes it can be caused by the pituitary gland, as well as other conditions. There was another doctor in the practice that had low T and he was helpful in guiding us through the assessment. I've been on Andrgel for five years and it has worked for me. I keep my levels around 375 to 400. I'm 62 now. BTW, I did go to an Endocrinolgist, and he reviewed all of my test results and stated that my doctor had done all that was necessary.

rodcad
07-22-2016, 08:53 AM
Doesn't taking extra T increase the risk for prostate cancer? I know when my dad had prostate cancer they cut off his balls to lower the T. Pretty extreme I know. They recommended that or taking estrogen. This was back in 1991.

cash05458
07-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Doesn't taking extra T increase the risk for prostate cancer? I know when my dad had prostate cancer they cut off his balls to lower the T. Pretty extreme I know. They recommended that or taking estrogen. This was back in 1991.

ok, I really wish I had not read that...

malcolm
07-22-2016, 09:18 AM

There is no evidence that it induces prostate cancer and so clinicians think it may actually be protective, jury is still way out.

You should however have a baseline PSA before starting replacement and periodically during because some/many prostate cancers are stimulated by testosterone thus the occasional orchiectomy as part of treatment.

Not sure what Louis was implying. Hormone replacement in males is not mainstream anywhere that I'm aware of. It is however becoming more common and it's gaining support. It very population dependent. Replacing fit middle age males that are active and healthy is likely different than their sedentary counterparts. Time will tell.
In the end we all get old.

BigDaddySmooth
07-22-2016, 07:59 PM
When we get older, we get weaker, fatter and lose muscle mass. A great way to counteract these trends is to lift. Deadlift and squats work the whole body. Pull-ups and chest press hits most of the upper body. Plus it revs up your metabolism as muscle needs more energy than fat.

sailorboy
07-22-2016, 08:58 PM
ok, I really wish I had not read that...

Eh, look at the brightside, without your balls there would be more room to stretch out in the kuku penthouse of your sweet assos bibshorts!

adamhell
07-23-2016, 12:35 AM
at the risk of everybody absolutely hating me on this forum, eating vegan has been shown to increase testosterone.

oldpotatoe
07-23-2016, 06:17 AM
at the risk of everybody absolutely hating me on this forum, eating vegan has been shown to increase testosterone.

From yer friends at LiveStrong.com

"By eliminating meat, fish, poultry and all animal products from their diets, vegans can experience unwanted side effects related to hormone imbalances. Although they avoid the hormones found in some meat and dairy products, vegans tend to eat higher than average amounts of hormone-like compounds in plant foods. The nutritional content and health effects of vegan diets can both boost and lower testosterone levels. However, as long as you eat a balanced diet that includes adequate amounts of carbohydrates, protein, and zinc, eating a vegan diet should not lower your testosterone levels."

stephenmarklay
07-23-2016, 06:20 AM

These seems to be a controversial subject but a lot to research says it does not.

OtayBW
07-23-2016, 06:23 AM

"By eliminating meat, fish, poultry and all animal products from their diets, vegans can experience unwanted side effects related to hormone imbalances. Although they avoid the hormones found in some meat and dairy products, vegans tend to eat higher than average amounts of hormone-like compounds in plant foods. The nutritional content and health effects of vegan diets can both boost and lower testosterone levels. However, as long as you eat a balanced diet that includes adequate amounts of carbohydrates, protein, and zinc, eating a vegan diet should not lower your testosterone levels."
Oh geez - don't get him started again...:help:

stephenmarklay
07-23-2016, 06:23 AM

I think they are getting at vegans who eat a lot of phytoestrogen rich foods. Soy is the big one and it does interact with the body like estrogen. This may be good or bad depending on who you ask.

I have not eaten meat, eggs and dairy (I don’t call myself vegan thank you very much) since last year and last check my T is higher than in the past. That does not mean a lot but it is what it is.

paredown
07-23-2016, 06:31 AM
Coming out of left field here--but are you in an area with a lot of Lyme infections? Do you spend time MTB'ing out in the woods??

Especially, if you have had anything like a flu/random headaches, aching joints recently, I would ask that they test for Lyme's. (It is not included on general blood panels IME)

The bulls-eye rash may not appear for over half of people who have been bitten by a tick and have the symptoms of Lyme or one of the co-infections.

You may get push back from your medical provider (can't pay for test since no bulls-eye blah blah) but if there is any signicant amount of Lyme infection in your local area it would be worth paying for it out of pocket IMO.

We're living in a hot zone for Lyme, I have had three infections--and nothing else that has happened to me has caused such a dramatic change in my energy levels--certainly not getting older (I'm 64).

I was "lucky" in that the first time I was infected I got the bulls-eye--and it knocked me on my ass for over a year. The second infection--no bulls-eye, I was slower to recognize what was clearly a change in my well-being and it had probably worse effects on my general energy levels.

Don't **** with Lyme!

Mikej
07-23-2016, 06:48 AM

Actually eating no wheat / low carbs does increase T - heck just take some pharma, the whole cat 2 masters class seems awfully buff for 48 y.o.'s IMHO. Do you race? Cuz you would be cheating -
If you see a hot woman, do you get a tangle in your "area"? If so you're probably fine...

alyosha_s
08-01-2016, 09:48 PM
i would look at natural medicine before taking T supplements

Mark McM
08-02-2016, 08:49 AM
i would look at natural medicine before taking T supplements

Testosterone is naturally produced by the human body - how much more natural can it get?