PDA

View Full Version : OT-Ice Coolers

Len J
07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Looking for a 45Qt Ice Cooler for road trips with wife who has special diet requiring us to bring most of her food. We have a cheap Igloo and ice barely lasts 1 day. It's about in need of a replacement I've been doing some research and found:

Yeti - Seem way overpriced
RTIC - seems to good to be true at 1/2 the price of the Yeti. Currntly 30 day delivery
Pelican - Heavy, bomb proof except for gasket
Grizzly - Somewhere in between
Canyon - Doesn't have a 45

Any others? Any experiences, good or bad?

Thanks

Len

malcolm
07-21-2016, 09:33 AM
I have a yeti that I got at a silent auction for way cheap. I do agree they are over priced, but man do they work. Mine will keep ice a couple days in the back of an suv in an uncovered parking lot in July in Alabama.

Several knock offs have arisen, orca and the like. Will be interesting to see what people with first hand experience think of them.

p nut
07-21-2016, 09:36 AM
I've got a Coleman Xtreme cooler:

http://www.coleman.com/36-quart-xtreme-5-cooler/6251A748.html

I've been satisfied with it. How long the ice lasts is totally dependent on outside temp, how often the cooler gets opened, etc. But on the average, ice blocks last 4-5 days. Ice cubes, around 3 days.

What I've been doing lately is to freeze bottled waters, line that up at the bottom, fill with food, then add cubed ice. Keeps everything nice and cool for a while, and once the bottled waters melt, you've got....water.

Having said that, I really want a Yeti. Next REI sale, I'll probably cave and get one.

gdw
07-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Have you considered upgrading your current cooler?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjh6RDTgMuQ

josephr
07-21-2016, 11:11 AM
IME - The big problem with most coolers is how they're used...lot of folks just dump ice/food and expect them to stay cold. Even the folks at Yeti will tell you that you have to 'cool the cooler' .... in my old Rubbermaid, the first batch of ice melts pretty quick, but once I get the cooler cold, it'll stay cold. A new cooler is nice, but getting the most out of one that's already paid for is nicer! :beer:

crossjunkee
07-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Yeti makes coolers in the USA if that means anything to you. Find store that stocks them and wait for a coupon.

ORCA is another one you should consider, they're made in TN.

likebikes
07-21-2016, 12:32 PM
there are plenty of other coolers out there that keep cold as well as a yeti, without the yeti name or price tag.

the "internals" (which actually keep things cold) of a yeti are actually nothing special.

malcolm
07-21-2016, 12:44 PM
there are plenty of other coolers out there that keep cold as well as a yeti, without the yeti name or price tag.

the "internals" (which actually keep things cold) of a yeti are actually nothing special.

Which ones ??

p nut
07-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Check out this article:

http://expeditionportal.com/the-big-chill-overland-journals-cooler-test/

HenryA
07-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Block ice lasts much longer and you can buy a bunch of it for what the fancy coolers cost. Or make your own by freezing water in plastic jugs at home. Next think about dry ice. Many grocery stores keep it.

melac1
07-21-2016, 05:11 PM
I just got a yeti cooler and the ice stays frozen for at least a week. I do agree that they are a bit overpriced, but I have had only good experiences with mine.

jtolive
07-21-2016, 05:30 PM
I have two RTICs - one regular and one soft cooler. If you can handle the wait they are great, as well made or better than Yeti(the soft cooler is way better than Yeti's version). I have heard that RTIC was started by one of the founders of Yeti after they sold the company.

Anarchist
07-21-2016, 05:50 PM
This seems appropriate ...

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f32/cooler-advice-45185-post794955.html#post794955

melac1
07-21-2016, 06:02 PM
I have two RTICs - one regular and one soft cooler. If you can handle the wait they are great, as well made or better than Yeti(the soft cooler is way better than Yeti's version). I have heard that RTIC was started by one of the founders of Yeti after they sold the company.

I second this. I think that if you can wait 30 days, you should go with the RTIC cooler. I had one of those for a while before I wrapped my mind around spending the money on a Yeti.

ColonelJLloyd
07-21-2016, 08:29 PM
I've had good experience with a Pelican. Haven't had an issue with the gasket yet.