PDA

View Full Version : Selle Italia SLR Superflow

LegendRider
07-19-2016, 03:02 PM
The Selle Italia SLR Superflow seems to get uniformly excellent reviews. If you use one, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, particularly if you've used a SMP saddle also.

My SMP is fantastic with regard to relieving pressure on soft tissue, but the shape (raised front and rear) is problematic. I'd probably do better with a flat profile assuming the cut-out was sizeable.

I saw a local rider with a SMP Triathlon saddle that is flat but otherwise identical to SMP road saddles. That might be an option.

staggerwing
07-19-2016, 03:23 PM
FWIW, just completed an 8-day ride (4-5 1/2 hours on saddle daily) on a newly acquired Superflow. I'm also almost 220 lbs.

I never found it disappear under my bottom comfortable, but it was good. Biggest issue, over extended riding, is the outer edges are 'sharpish' and hard, causing discomfort on extended runs.

For lightweight saddles, my old favorite is a Regal, and looking at one from the side, they feature a nicely rolled off skirt. Tried a Chinese knockoff Regal recently, and had the same edge issue as the Superflow. A closer exam showed they eliminated the skirt featured on the legitimate item.

Looks like the SMP's also feature a nicely rolled edge. Wish I had been a little faster on the trigger for a recently posted Drakon.

LegendRider
07-19-2016, 03:29 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend who suggested that I try the SMP tri saddles - same large cut-out but a flat profile. This guy is an elite masters racer who puts in big mileage and he said the SMP tri has been a godsend.

baker
07-19-2016, 06:34 PM
This is my favorite saddle - I have one on all my race bikes - Road, cross, and MTB. It's flat front to back and the cutout effectively makes it feel flat side to side, so there's lots of room to move around. It's comfy whether you're on the nose or sitting way back. It is well padded with gel foam, but not overly so. It's not disappear under you comfy, but I doubt that exists for me.

kgreene10
07-19-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm on the Superflow 145 now. It's good but not perfect for me but offers more adjustability of my position than the SMP did. One issue with the Superflow is that it behind to sag pretty quickly so you may need to raise your saddle a smidge over time. And I'm only 158lbs.

Clancy
07-19-2016, 07:32 PM
This is my favorite saddle - I have one on all my race bikes - Road, cross, and MTB. It's flat front to back and the cutout effectively makes it feel flat side to side, so there's lots of room to move around. It's comfy whether you're on the nose or sitting way back. It is well padded with gel foam, but not overly so. It's not disappear under you comfy, but I doubt that exists for me.

In the above, the word "This" could be replaced by the name of any saddle out there......saddles are personal choise, often by trial and error. Often expensive trial and error.

R3awak3n
07-19-2016, 07:38 PM
definitely a good one to try, I had one for a few miles but it did not agree with my butt. I knew it within a couple rides so I sold it here.

They are expensive so I would definitely see if you can try one before you buy

SoCalSteve
07-19-2016, 08:21 PM
The SLR Gel Flow Max is pretty much the same saddle with more padding, more weight and a lot cheaper.....good luck!

cmg
07-19-2016, 10:59 PM
the super flow didn't work for me. had the 145 and i'm 200lbs. did all kinds of adjustments, never let me forget it was there. used mostly for 20 mile afternoon rides. i rode it for about 2 months. went back to the spec toupe and alls good.

R3awak3n
07-20-2016, 12:32 AM
I say try a specialized power while you are at it. A lot of people, including me, like them.

Mikej
07-20-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm riding a new SLR XC on my mtb - no cut out, I previously used SLR xp which are not available any more- pretty nice saddle, and plan to order another for back up.

baker
07-20-2016, 10:22 AM
The SLR Gel Flow Max is pretty much the same saddle with more padding, more weight and a lot cheaper.....good luck!

DERP! This^^^ is the saddle I use. The super flow didn't work for me, too hard with sharp edges. Apologies to the OP for any confusion.

benb
07-20-2016, 10:44 AM
The cutting off of the skirts that someone mentioned seems to be a common theme with saddles that have been around for a long time and get redesigned.

SI cut the skirts off the Flite when they redesigned it in the mid 2000s.. it took a great saddle for me and made it really annoying. My theory is it's all part of the weight reduction craze.

But the latest flite they seem to have compensated by narrowing the nose more somehow and it great for me again. I wish I'd bought one a couple years ago. I bought one a month or so ago and I love it. I don't really have it 100% dialed to the point it disappears but right away from the first ride I knew it was going to be great.

justaute
07-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Have two 145 Superflow. Initially, I couldn't last much more than an hour on it; then, after some adjustment -- sitting farther back -- it's much better. Was on a 4-hour ride last week. 6'1" & 208 lbs here.

dbnm
07-20-2016, 12:26 PM
I have the 145 superflow. I am 5foot9 and 150 pounds. I've ridden about 75 miles on it and love it.