PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Joe Blow Turbo pump

Fishbike
07-19-2016, 02:33 PM
I have a Joe Blow Turbo floor pump. When pumping road tires up past 60 psi, the tire (or nozzle and hose) won't hold air and I can't pump fast enough to get to proper inflation and remove nozzle. I have tried it on several tires so problem is not the valve or tires. Any suggestions? Pump is about 8 years old. Or any recommendations for a new pump?

(The good news is I have been rolling around on very plush rubber.)

07-19-2016, 02:45 PM
My Joe Blow floor pump did the exact same thing after about 6-7 years. My fix was to replace the head, and that fix has been working ever since. I got one of these attached it to the existing hose with a hose clamp...

https://alexscycle.com/products/hirame-pump-head-yoko-1

p nut
07-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Contact Topeak to see about replacement/rebuild parts? Could be the rubber parts are just worn out. I still use a 10 year old Joe Blow and it does fine.

Louis
07-19-2016, 02:54 PM
I'd get either a Topeak Smarthead or Twinhead hose replacement kit:

I got the Twinhead years ago and it works very well.

Sorry for the huge images.

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-SmartHead-Bicycle-Floor-Upgrade/dp/B000FIE4JK

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI6XF8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000FIE4JK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=JJEFSZMY1VA2Q3F577MW

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71aGJfyauKL._SL1500_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Mfm0%2BfhoS._SL1448_.jpg

Ken Robb
07-19-2016, 06:44 PM
the rubber bits in my Topeak wore out so I phoned them and they said they would send repair parts ASAP. A few days later I got a whole new head. Nice. A few weeks later I got a repair kit. I guess they were out of repair kits for a while. Tough to beat that service.

mmfs
07-19-2016, 08:28 PM
Topeak was great in sending me replacement parts when my Road Morph pump blew apart. Expeditious and no questions asked! Great customer service!

Bob Ross
07-20-2016, 05:38 AM
the rubber bits in my Topeak wore out so I phoned them and they said they would send repair parts ASAP. A few days later I got a whole new head. Nice. A few weeks later I got a repair kit. I guess they were out of repair kits for a while. Tough to beat that service.
Topeak was great in sending me replacement parts when my Road Morph pump blew apart. Expeditious and no questions asked! Great customer service!

I've owned two different Topeak floor pumps and probably a half dozen Topeak Road Morph pumps over the past decade, and my experience when they poop the bed has always been as described above: Call 'em up, they'll graciously send you replacement parts or, in some cases, a whole new replacement pump. Thanks, Topeak!

...oh, but wait a second: How come their stuff keeps falling apart?!?!?!

Topeak customer service is fabulous, I just wish their product was a bit more robust so I didn't have to keep engaging with their customer service department Every. Single. Time.

RFC
07-20-2016, 09:45 AM
I blew through two Joe Blows in less than a year. Then I got the cheaper Performance model, which is still going strong 10 years later.

Fishbike
07-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the comments, folks. I ordered the replacement kit. Hopefully that will make the pump functional again.

jmoore
07-20-2016, 02:54 PM
+1 on Topeak customer service. I had the same experience with my Joe Blow. leaking. They sent me new, and upgraded parts, for free and it's been working great since. 2001 model Joe Blow still going strong.

A+ customer service.

benb
07-20-2016, 03:29 PM
I have several Topeak pumps with the pictured Twin Head and those wear out exactly the same as the OPs pump. I have one doing it right now.

Nags&Ducs
07-21-2016, 05:38 AM
I've owned two different Topeak floor pumps and probably a half dozen Topeak Road Morph pumps over the past decade, and my experience when they poop the bed has always been as described above: Call 'em up, they'll graciously send you replacement parts or, in some cases, a whole new replacement pump. Thanks, Topeak!

...oh, but wait a second: How come their stuff keeps falling apart?!?!?!

Topeak customer service is fabulous, I just wish their product was a bit more robust so I didn't have to keep engaging with their customer service department Every. Single. Time.

You nailed it Bob. Their CS may be great but their products are shyte. I never buy anything Topeak anymore.

MikeD
07-21-2016, 09:14 AM
I've got nothing but praise for my Topeak Joe Blow Pro, mountain bike floor pump, and assorted frame pumps. Don't know what you guys are doing to eff them up. Seals wear out. So replace them. They are available as spare parts. Much more reliable than the old Silca pumps that have short lived gaskets in the pump head and leather plunger seals. So many people think those pumps are great when they are really old fashioned POSs.

jruhlen1980
07-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Should probably replace mine, the head still sorta works but I had to tape up the actual shaft part with duct tape because it started falling apart. But it still works and I'm lazy and cheap. LBS is a specialized shop so, while I have no doubt the product is good, I don't want to pay spesh prices for their pumps.