PDA

View Full Version : FSA Compact/52-36

MGS9500
04-04-2004, 11:28 AM
I've been riding the FSA compact with 50/34 gearing during the past several months. I like the cranks and the shifting with the Campy system has been smooth. However, I did miss some of the high end gearing and noticed that I have been spinning in the large/small gearing much more frequently than usual.

I just installed the 52/36 chain rings on the FSA compact. For anyone thinking of this option, let me assure them that it works without a hitch.

After installing the chain rings, which took about 10 minutes, there was no need to adjust chain length. The rear shifting was unchanged. The front derailleur needed to be raised to allow clearance of the larger chain ring, and the cable readjusted because of the new tension, and this took about 10 minutes.

The new gearing ratio is great. It still gives me a smaller inner front chain ring than the Campy 39, and the larger is closer to the 53 on the Campy system.

It allows me to have a large range with the new setup, and the option of putting the 34/50 chain rings on when touring in an area requiring a super low gear ration.

All in all, one more reason to like the FSA compact system.

BumbleBeeDave
04-04-2004, 12:39 PM
. . . but I did just put on an FSA Team Issue 53-39 I got on eBay and it’s a really nice crank. Looks great, stiff, shifts smooth--AND ofr some reason it actually shifts better than my DA did. I’m not sure if it’s because the Q-factor is a bit wider or what, but there are at least two less cogs where I have to trim the front derailleur. You know, those crossover gears where it rattles a little on the front cage.

Not sure exactly why it’s better, but it is. I really like this crank!

BBDave

saab2000
04-04-2004, 12:46 PM
....this type of setup could ultimately make triples superflous (my big word for the day.... :D )

It seems like a bike could have a 53x36 (or something like that) and an 12-27 (or something like that) and have really nearly as low a gear as many triples.

Has anyone replaced a triple with a setup like this? Heck, even the pros are using 'em on the big mountain stages and I saw somewhere that Campagnolo might jump on the bandwagon here.

Not that I need such a low gear....... ;)

MallyG
04-04-2004, 01:51 PM
are the 52/36 chainrings also from FSA?

MGS9500
04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Yes,
Ordered by by LBS. Perfect fit on the crank.