PDA

View Full Version : OT Laptop software

Joxster
07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
OK IT chappies, I'm sorting out my old laptop it's an i5 with 8gb of ram. I'll be putting in a new HDD probably 1TB. But what OS should I go for Windows 10, Ubuntu, Fedora or Subgraph. I like to think my IT skillset is pretty good but I've been out of the game for a while (was an Oracle DBA)

TIA

wpod
07-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Fellow tech refugee here. I'm running Ubuntu on my workstation and MINT on my lapr( Panasonic Toughbook ). Would suggest you include MINT (https://www.linuxmint.com/) in your evaluation/consideration. Tons of tools and close ties to Ubuntu, it's a breeze and current version is supported for 4 or 5 years.

ultraman6970
07-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Linux has changed so much in the last 10 years, that probably is a good option, the main problem I see with winblows 10 is that mongolosoft is kind'a playing big brother and the other issue is that who knows what they will do later on, maybe force everybody to pay a rent fee for using their stuff? the day that happpens linux might take over the market.

You can run OS from mac in a pc aswell. You to find it tho.

Joxster
07-19-2016, 12:44 PM
I run Mac at home, so I'll look in to that. I'll also look at Mint but what's the security like on line and what are third party apps like, I need to be able to run the Bosch and Shimano software from the laptop.

wpod
07-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Mint is a subset of Ubuntu so loads of applications, tools and support. To date never any security problems with either Ubuntu( using since v8.04 ) or Mint. It seems unlikely Bosch and Shimano would be forward thinking enough to port their apps to anything other then Windoz or MacOS.

One option running a 8gb RAM & 1tb disk lapr, could be load 64bit Mint/Ubuntu, install Oracle VM VirtualBox (http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/oraclevm/overview/index.html) and have the option of running everything as a virtual machine- locked down under linux security. Me, I'm running 64 bit MINT with XP Pro, Fedora and CentOS VM's under VirtualBox and could not be happier. Seamless, a breeze to build/config/maintain and easy to secure. YMMV of course :beer:

fkelly
07-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Just a caution (or two) on Windows 10. I had a high end 2008 era laptop (a Sager). Upgraded it to Windows 8 and 8.1 a couple of years ago. The wireless card no longer worked ... or at least it periodically caused crashes. Searching Forums revealed that Intel and Microsoft didn't have their act together and the card would never work reliably. I could make the computer work reliably by plugging it into an ethernet cable. All fine.

I replaced that computer as my main working station this Spring. Found a USB based wireless card solution for the old computer. Thought I'd give it a go to upgrade to Windows 10 in preparation for giving the computer to a relative. Did a "from scratch" installation wiping out all the old data and programs on the computer. Looked like it worked, but then I found that neither the old wireless card nor any of the USB ports worked. Got some messages that the USB was not supported under Windows 10.

If I really needed to use that computer I'd reinstall Windows 7 and leave it at that. But that would be a p.i.t.a. too because you'd need to do the base install then get all the updates. It's headed to the dump.

Windows 10 supposedly does a readiness test before the upgrade. But it really is not thorough and will let you upgrade even though many of your devices may be unsupported.

In short, if the machine is at all "old" I would stay away from Windows 10 unless you have some way of knowing that all the devices in it are supported.

darkmother
07-19-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm not very IT savvy so take my comments with that in mind.

I just replaced XP on an older desktop with Linux Mint 17.3. I have been really happy with it so far. It was super easy to install and it runs way faster than XP ever did. If it meets your needs give it a try.

I first tried running it from my DVD drive without actually installing it on my HDD to test it out.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Geeheeb
07-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Not everyone likes Unity (desktop environment). Installing xfce, mate, or cinnamon, or whatever is not hard. You can get xfce to look like a mac, or there is this: http://www.tonymacx86.com

Geeheeb
07-19-2016, 02:55 PM
subgraph is cool but not very practical unless you travel a lot or only use public wifi...

...or are a dissident.

Geeheeb
07-19-2016, 03:02 PM
One more thing, I've never used the shimano software, does it communicate via USB? That can sometimes be problematic with WINE (windows emulation) or getting VirtualBox to communicate directly over USB if its some serial emulation or something odd or "sensitive".

Joxster
07-19-2016, 04:51 PM
How easy is it to create a bootable usb and then run an install for Linux based OS?

Geeheeb
07-19-2016, 05:04 PM
Very easy. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Llewellyn
07-19-2016, 05:12 PM
What a coincidence that this topic should come up as I'm about to buy another work laptop. My current Toshiba is about 3 years old and has started getting a bit slow but the main reason I want to buy something now is so that I can still get Windows 7. I've read enough mixed things about Windows 10 to know that it's not what I want or need for my business.

Why can't Microsoft just stick with a good thing and leave it alone :mad: