PDA

View Full Version : Old Serotta factory now Artisinal Brew Works

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 05:56 AM
I had a Belgian style beer in the old Serotta factory last night.
Last night was the soft opening, grand opening on Saturday, July 23rd.

http://artisanalbrewworks.com/

My assessment, they are brewing LegendTi worthy beers!
Will post pics tonight.

BobC
07-19-2016, 06:10 AM
This is great news! I was wondering what was going on there -- I thought it was going to be a niche Bourbon distillery. I just was up in Saratoga last week to drop boy #1 off with my folks (he went to RPI's Engineering Summer Camp) & took a ride by there. Brought back a case of Messiah (by request from friends and co-workers) and a case of Olde Saratoga Oatmeal Stout for personal consumption.

I'll be back up in 2 weeks -- definitely going to go visit! Olde Saratoga brewery (which is much much improved), Druthers on Broadway & now "the brewery formerly known as Serotta." Life is good.

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 06:14 AM
There is a distillery in the building as well but they are not open for business yet.
The brewery and distillery are separate, different owners.

Hilltopperny
07-19-2016, 06:35 AM
I will have to check this out. Like Belgian style beers and not too far away:beer:

redir
07-19-2016, 08:04 AM
How's the beer?

tv_vt
07-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Sad, though, too. Would rather that world class bikes were still being made there.

572cv
07-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Sad, though, too. Would rather that world class bikes were still being made there.

Sure enough. But with three Serottas here, a good brew after a fun ride is not a bad combination. Maybe they could make a Legend Lager, an Ottrot Oat Stout (say that five times after drinking two), Atlanta IPA, branch out into Meivici Mead, or do a CdAle ;-)

And for world class ti in the neighborhood, I gather one can just go west from Saratoga Springs on rt 29 about 32 miles and get to an old textile factory...

Birddog
07-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Sure enough. But with three Serottas here, a good brew after a fun ride is not a bad combination. Maybe they could make a Legend Lager, an Ottrot Oat Stout (say that five times after drinking two), Atlanta IPA, branch out into Meivici Mead, or do a CdAle ;-)

And for world class ti in the neighborhood, I gather one can just go west from Saratoga Springs on rt 29 about 32 miles and get to an old textile factory...

Or they could make a "knock off" of Fat Tire Amber Ale and call it "Colorado Concept".

cachagua
07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Do they give you a free one if you ride up on a Serotta, is what I want to know.

Louis
07-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Do they give you a free one if you ride up on a Serotta

They'll say "What's a Serotta?"

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 11:44 AM
I rode up on my Bedford and my wife was on her Giant mtb. The first thing the owners said to us, after hello, was "maybe we should get a bike rack." I told them they should. As the owners are all local, they are aware of Serotta and that the building was the Serotta factory.

Unfortunately, I did not get a free one!

AJM100
07-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Go there in August . . . Saratoga Springs is awesome and the horses will be on the track . . . :hello:

Corso
07-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Could their logo be any more hipster-trendy?

MattTuck
07-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Nothing like opening a craft beer brewery in the 8th inning of the craft beer wave... Sadly, they may share the same fate as the previous tenants.

Fivethumbs
07-19-2016, 02:25 PM

sandyrs
07-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Nothing like opening a craft beer brewery in the 8th inning of the craft beer wave... Sadly, they may share the same fate as the previous tenants.

The name is pretty terrible too...

A new brewery near me opened recently. It's a beer hall style brewery, so no distribution, no beer to go. Only available on-site at the bar/restaurant. I think this is one of the only promising approaches I've seen to opening a brewery so late in the game. The food was really good and the beer was worth going back for.

MattTuck
07-19-2016, 02:36 PM
The name is pretty terrible too...

A new brewery near me opened recently. It's a beer hall style brewery, so no distribution, no beer to go. Only available on-site at the bar/restaurant. I think this is one of the only promising approaches I've seen to opening a brewery so late in the game. The food was really good and the beer was worth going back for.

Agreed. And a lot of people in the craft beer game have moved in this direction. It is a lot easier to make money selling a pint for $6 or 7 out of an on site keg, than trying to get distribution into a crowded retail and bar environment.

That being said, there are still some big question marks on whether the demand will be there long term. Or if people get tired of craft beer and turn to craft artisinal rum, or whatever the new trend will be. A return of the local brewery/brew pub is kind of a cool idea, but one wonders if we are saturated at this point.

Cat3roadracer
07-19-2016, 02:41 PM
We are saturated in the Albany, Troy, Saratoga area. And they are all crowded, every night of the week.

Best of luck to them.

moose8
07-19-2016, 03:00 PM

People have been saying this for a long time but it seems like a lot of them are finding success. Seems if you are hyper local you can make it work. I wish them luck!

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 03:38 PM
A shot of the building and front door

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 03:40 PM
this is the distillery, once the main factory floor

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 03:41 PM
this was the main office area

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 03:44 PM
This was the paint area. The paint booths were torn out, the floor was torn out and the concrete re-poured to facilitate the flow of water to the drains when cleaning the tanks.

RWHowe
07-19-2016, 03:45 PM
excellent Belgian Triple

Louis
07-19-2016, 05:18 PM
excellent Belgian Triple

Based on the image on that goblet, I'd say it looks like you have to be a hipster to truly enjoy the brew. ;)

AllanVarcoe
07-19-2016, 05:23 PM
A shot of the building and front door

There is an "S" logo carved into the bottom of that first pillar so maybe if they see the HT logo they'll remember what Serotta was. Ha!

Crazy to see the manufacturing floor without machines, benches, welders...

rnhood
07-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Doesn't seem like a very big building. But Sierra Nevada started in a small little shop too, and with some energy and big ideas just look where they are today. Wishing the best for that brewery.

oddsaabs
07-19-2016, 06:05 PM
When I saw the post title I thought, "Someone's making beer in that old building behind the firehouse in Middle Grove?"

Mr. Pink
07-19-2016, 07:48 PM
Saratoga rocks. Lived there from 04 to 07. Broke my heart to leave, but my job went to India. Wondering just the other day how the old factory would fare, and I'm happy it's something, anything. Bit distant from the main drag. They're going to have to do some promotion to get them inside. Should be an excellent warmup for a SPAC concert. Good luck to them.

Edit: for newbies to Saratoga who visit the brewery, the Automotive museum is just a short drive down the hill in the state park. Always well worth a visit for motor heads. A converted old spring water bottling plant.

Satellite
07-19-2016, 08:08 PM
This is my dream! To open a micro brewery restaurant in an amazing building like Serotta. We have a micro brewery opened in an old grade school it's amazing. Something about beer and pizza in a unique place.

572cv
07-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Edit: for newbies to Saratoga who visit the brewery, the Automotive museum is just a short drive down the hill in the state park. Always well worth a visit for motor heads. A converted old spring water bottling plant.

Water bottling plant goes to cars, bike factory goes to beer. Sort of karmic turn about going on.

Maybe I'll get the 2cv down there for the Citroen Rendezvous in june next year. Now I know where to get a beer.

likebikes
07-19-2016, 08:32 PM
so twee my teeth hurt.

Mr. Pink
07-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Water bottling plant goes to cars, bike factory goes to beer. Sort of karmic turn about going on.

Maybe I'll get the 2cv down there for the Citroen Rendezvous in june next year. Now I know where to get a beer.

For a very proper cocktail, when you're in town, 9 Maple. One of the best bars you've been to. A dying breed.

Llewellyn
07-20-2016, 04:47 AM
It's not a business name that exactly rolls off the tongue.

rileystylee
07-20-2016, 05:13 AM
I think people will shorten it to Anal Brew works .
Sorry.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2016, 06:13 AM

sure it could..

oldpotatoe
07-20-2016, 06:15 AM
This is my dream! To open a micro brewery restaurant in an amazing building like Serotta. We have a micro brewery opened in an old grade school it's amazing. Something about beer and pizza in a unique place.

How do ya make a $million in the micro brew biz? Start with 2$million. ;)

rileystylee
07-20-2016, 07:03 AM

Better not serve pizza, you might end up getting sued by someone:D

Satellite
07-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Better not serve pizza, you might end up getting sued by someone:D

Only half the building is the brewery the other half could be a dental office or Saul Goodman's office.
I

ColonelJLloyd
07-20-2016, 09:14 AM
excellent Belgian Triple

Awfully pale and overly cloudy for a tripel.

Logo reminded me of this place which just opened locally.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-A123VbE8KGw/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAABk/4_AT88E-QJg/s0-c-k-no-ns/photo.jpg

malcolm
07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
I love craft brews especially good IPAs but the industry is reaching frozen yogurt territory as in one on every corner.

They need to offer something different or do an exceptional job at what they do. Good product/beer is becoming a given. I've only done a tasting at a couple breweries in the past year or so that the beer wasn't pretty good.

Grand Teton Brewing in Victor, Idaho does a really good job. Fairly simple digs, big brewing space, small basic tasting room/bar. Huge porch and yard, with a permanent food truck. Kinda family oriented, they do brew soft drinks, lots people, few kids and dogs playing in the yard. Good place to spend a summer afternoon.

BobC
08-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Just went to the place yesterday evening.

Overall, the beer is quite good -- but you have to enjoy Belgian styles. It was nice to go to a brewery in which every beer wasn't hoppy. I liked Brown Ale (sweeter than most) & the Triple (very smooth).

It was weird being back in the factory (last time I was there was to pick up my CSI for a repaint).

My only question is who owns the house now?

54ny77
08-04-2016, 11:41 AM
that looks delicious! i hope to get up there for a visit this summer.

to the naysayers, ya know, instead of crapping all over the business from a distance and opining on their impending doom, how about go and visit the joint, pass along a good word, ya know?

helps the economy and all that.

at least they're out there giving it their best shot. what have you pooh-pooh'ers done lately to stake yer claim in the biz world, risking your own capital?

excellent Belgian Triple

verbeke06
08-04-2016, 11:44 AM
This makes me sad. Next thing you know Vanilla will be a cupcake shop.

Satellite
08-04-2016, 11:47 PM
This makes me sad. Next thing you know Vanilla will be a cupcake shop.

That sounds fantastic I love Vanilla Cupcakes!

Louis
08-04-2016, 11:59 PM
That sounds fantastic I love Vanilla Cupcakes!

How about strawberry frosting? (and sprinkles!)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_U0Ww-pLbOqA/TJKznMrkTqI/AAAAAAAAAAs/L914NRkihrA/s1600/cupcakeandbicycle.gothamist.jpg

RWHowe
08-05-2016, 06:31 AM
My only question is who owns the house now?[/QUOTE]

The house and factory are one property. So it is owned by the guy that bought it all and is starting the distillery in the factory building. The house is rented out to 3 or 4 twenty somethings.