PDA

View Full Version : helmet

mjr
07-18-2016, 11:01 PM
I cracked a bell volt helmet that fit me very well (size 55 to 59 in). Anybody have strong recommendations for a comparable helmet as I understand bell no longer makes this model. I like helmets that have visors. Thanks.

gasman
07-18-2016, 11:16 PM
Google fu Bell Volt and you shall find it sold many places grasshopper. Though probably not in a 55 to 59 inch size. :eek: I know you meant cm.
Performance is one place that carries it.

Dead Man
07-18-2016, 11:27 PM
See if you hadn't been wearing it, you wouldn't have busted it up.

Wearing helmets means eventually crashing while wearing a helmet which means having to buy a new helmet or you can't race.

Such a waste

kohlboto
07-18-2016, 11:39 PM
I was expecting a music thread...Betty was one of my all-time favourite albums.

topflightpro
07-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Why not just buy the newest Bell helmet?

From my experience, helmets within brands tend to fit similarly. I've owned five Giro helmets, and while the fit of each was slightly different, they all fit well enough.

Also, Bell and Giro are owned by the same company.

berserk87
07-19-2016, 09:08 AM
I was expecting a music thread...Betty was one of my all-time favourite albums.

Awesome. Post of the day.

mjr
07-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Has anyone had good experience with POC helmets?

seric
07-19-2016, 12:05 PM

I tried on some POC helmets recently, and while I liked the fit, I felt the adjustment system was poor as it would pop out of adjustment easily. Most Bell helmets fit me well, although when shopping for a new MTB helmet recently I found the Super 2R's to have strange pressure points. This same problem didn't exist with their Stoker and other models.

I'm currently really happy with Kask's fit, I picked up a Rex after running into the above pressure point problems.

azrider
07-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Just 'looking' at this was not a good experience

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BexOJUnIgAEf_od.jpg

berserk87
07-19-2016, 06:18 PM
Just 'looking' at this was not a good experience

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BexOJUnIgAEf_od.jpg

I try not to worry about appearance too much when selecting equipment. I go with what works, first...but holy cow. I would have to have lost a bet to be caught wearing that.

I do have a POC time trial helmet (the "Cerebal"). It's not bad. It has no vents - 2 tiny openings in the visor, if that counts. I don't wear it on really warm days. It is only made in one size, and it just a tad small on me, but workable. The quality seems good. I like the visor a lot. I clips on with magnets. Pretty slick.

CNY rider
07-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I have a Bell shaped (as opposed to Giro shaped, they are definitely different) head.
I got a Kask helmet with a visor.
I am probably going to be a Kask guy for life now.
The one I have is a winter helmet, I wear it for riding in 50F and lower. Excellent chin strap, love the visor and it doubles as a great alpine ski helmet.
The best helmet I have ever owned.

bking
07-22-2016, 01:30 PM
i too have a "bell shaped" head. Bought a Lazer Helium that fits well.

cinco
07-22-2016, 01:35 PM
I liked the Volt I had, and like the Gage I just bought even better.

Andy in Houston

sw3759
07-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I liked the Volt I had, and like the Gage I just bought even better.

+1
same here.picked one up really cheap @STP a while back and surprised how much I like it.fits really well and seems to cool as well as the aeon and prevail

azrider
07-22-2016, 01:56 PM
I too have a non-Giro head and my current dome of choice is the Cypher Aero from C'dale. I am in love with this helmet and the aero 'clip on' works flawlessly.

Comfy, super light, super 'airy' (without the cover), and the retention system works really well ta' boot.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites/default/files/styles/colorbox_popup/public/images/article/gallery/IMG_8086.JPG?itok=7cVhhtS7\