PDA

View Full Version : your lightweight CC touring gear list

AngryScientist
07-18-2016, 01:59 PM
i'm taking an impromptu overnight this weekend, and dreaming up a packing list in my head.

what are your lightweight essentials that do double/triple duty?

one area of particular interest which i've mulled over plenty in the past is off the bike casual footwear. i'm leaning towards a pair of cheap-o foam flip flops for this trip since they are light and the weather is warm.

what are your "cant do without"s?

MerckxMad
07-18-2016, 02:02 PM
i'm taking an impromptu overnight this weekend, and dreaming up a packing list in my head.

one area of particular interest which i've mulled over plenty in the past is off the bike casual footwear. i'm leaning towards a pair of cheap-o foam flip flops for this trip since they are light and the weather is warm.

This weekend? Bring an air conditioner. Sorry, the heat is making me cranky.

hummus_aquinas
07-18-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm definitely backing your need for casual footwear. I like to lash boatshoes/canvas slip-ons to the top of any bags that have space. Heavy but I hate wearing flip-flops after dark.

As far as essentials go, I like having a hat of some sort to cover my tangled rat's nest of helmet hair. Any "normal" outerwear is nice because it makes me look like a normal human being and not some kind of disheveled bike...travelling..guy.

EDIT- baby wipes. hell. yeah.

gpendergast
07-18-2016, 02:14 PM
+1 on dollar store flip flops
Small towel/bandana - the 3pm sponge bath does wonders for afternoon miles

oldpotatoe
07-18-2016, 02:58 PM

Cold beer.

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 02:58 PM
In colder weather a "sol" bivy bag at 5 oz is worth having along

Light flip flops are a good choice. I've wanted Dromarti spd shoes as the brown leather looks good and supposedly walk good for walking. Very light running shoes are another choice. I hear some running shoe only weigh 100 grams

Sunscreen and especially for lips is critical for me

I'd consider one shirt. A tee shirt. Mountain cycling shorts. Two tubes. Patch kit. Pump. Levers. Multi tool. Spokes. Duct tape. Super glue. Booting material. Spare chain link. Bug spray in some climates. Chamois cream. Tooth brush. Handlebar bar. Revelate gas tank. Blinky. Small front headlight. Light rain shell. Two water bottles. Maybe spare cable. Maybe spare dérailleur hanger if my bike had a wimpy one. If going to restaurants a light polo jersey over the my bike shorts but then I would need more than a handlebar bag.

Have a nice trip. Credit cards can buy stuff like clothing. A spare dérailleur hanger?

gdw
07-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Beer is too heavy, bourbon or scotch take up less space and pack more alcohol per oz.

jruhlen1980
07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Keen sandals, don't take up much more space than flip flops, but more useful if you need to walk any distance. A little dad-ish, but I can live with it.

pdmtong
07-18-2016, 03:13 PM
Nike Free are a great choice for off bike footwear. really light. Can be worn with/without socks. Super breathable. More versatil than slippers.

If you go the slipper route, get decent ones. I do not like cheap slippers. Chaco are great but heavy. Look at Olukai. Superb footbeds. I like them more than the no longer available island slipper.

merino wool tee shirt - icebreaker for example. packs small, doesnt stink. spendy but now you have a core travel piece.

weisan
07-18-2016, 03:26 PM
I would make sure that I go with Rip pal, that way only one person needs to carry all the things that we could possibly need. :D

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 06:36 PM
In cooler weather a charcoal merino tee shirt has a lot of uses. It looks good on its own. Great base layer. I get merino angora mix t shirts from Sierra trading post for about $35.

It should be easy to keep total bike and gear to under 30 pounds. My recent cross country rig with all bags was 33-34lbs dry (no water or food).

hokoman
07-18-2016, 07:11 PM
When i did my last tour i took a pair of super thin soled adidas sneakers... they folded down as small as my sandals. The minimal running shoes on the market are super thin and pack easily... regular running shoes, no matter how light are too bulky imho.

A change of street clothes (t shirt, shorts, underwear, socks), a couple tubes, inflation device, tooth brush, travel deodarant and toothpaste, and your cell phone charger. Change of contacts (with one extra) if you need them. I think that is all I would take.

AngryScientist
07-18-2016, 07:14 PM
iPhone charger! would have probably forgot that one, but a critical item, good point.

i just fitted the home brew rear bag holder for my bike. works great!

swift industries rear bag is all that's going along. this is only a one night trip to shake things out a bit, but should be fun, none the less.

good tips folks!

mmfs
07-18-2016, 07:18 PM
I recently discovered Tom's canvas shoes for lightweight footwear for off the bike - ridiculously lightweight!

makoti
07-18-2016, 08:22 PM
I recently discovered Tom's canvas shoes for lightweight footwear for off the bike - ridiculously lightweight!

+1. Used them for my last trip.

weisan
07-18-2016, 08:23 PM
angry pal, why don't you do an "experiment" and go do it once just with the "bare minimum" - then see what you miss or don't miss....eg. Netflix. :D

krhea
07-18-2016, 09:08 PM
I love CC touring and will be shoving off on another ride in about 2 weeks. My go to shoe is a Timberland fold-up show. I found it a few years ago looking for a lightweight "camp shoe". I knew it existed but couldn't find them. They had already stopped making the shoe so I went to Ebay and found a pair about a year ago. Great multi-purpose shoe including CC touring. Here's a link with info but try Ebay to find a pair:

http://www.wired.com/2011/08/timberlands-folding-shoes-zip-up-tight/

Cornfed
07-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Sanuks for footwear - easy to dress up or down and ultra lightweight.
Shimano A530 pedals - for either shoe, and surprisingly light
A waterproof solar-powered iphone battery - charges while you ride
SOL lip balm w SPF - great for lips, but can use it on any body part, if needed
Plus the usual MacGyver bits - zip tie, bungee, duct tape, zip loc bag
And a credit card for anything you need but don't want to carry -- e.g., beer.

Have fun!

R3awak3n
07-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Overnight setup I usually just do with a rando bag up front and either a frame bag or a saddle bag (revelate). Also depends where I am going I will bring different things. 1 overnight I won't bring too much cookware, just enough to make some coffee and dinner.

Big agnes seedhouse SL tent - If not raining I leave the rain fly at home.
Enlightened Equipment Quilt
Exped Hyperlight sleeping pad
Big Sky DreamSleeper Pillow
Portable Shovel + TP
Rope if I have to put food up on a tree
Med Kit
Big battery but I do have a dynamo on the bike
Lights!!!!!!
Socks, extra base layer and arm warmers. Shorts to sleep in.
Lightweight down jacket cuz sometimes can get cold at night (not in NY right now)
Flips Flops (that is my prefered footware for when I get to camp)
Trangia Stove
Titanium spork
Titanium cup
If its a 1 night thing and I have space I bring my aero press (gotta drink coffee when you get up :))
Bike tools, 2 tubes, patch kit.
Frame pump
As much water as I can carry if I am going to me remoteish.
Camera
Food + Snacks

This was my setup last year when I went to Montauk

https://instagram.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/10899006_524718961010505_1319768977_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTAzOTgwNDQ0NTk5OTg2Njg2MA%3D%3D.2

Might do an overnight this weekend and definitely doing one the following weekend to test out my new bike :)

Edit: I just now saw that you mentioned CC. Oh well. If CC I would not bring the saddle bag, would leave tent, mat and quilt at home and would still bring the rest.

brownhound
07-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Re Shoes - either (1) touring - I have the aforementioned brown leather Dromartis and find they are good riding shoes and fair walking shoes; Giro Republic better walking shoes but worse riding shoe; (2) Keen cycling sandals - they do look dumb but there's a reason the old guys like them; or (3) the Toms mentioned above for off-bike.

Re Shirts - my method is to take two plain jerseys (think Rapha or hit up the Road Holland death-spiral sale). Day #1 = Jersey #1, Night #1 = Jersey #2, Day #2 = Jersey #2, Night #2 = Jersey #1, Repeat. Just wash and hang when you get off the bike. You can go forever this way.

Re Extras - I use a lightweight Bulldog cable and very light padlock for stops. Wouldn't stop a real bike thief, but your average opportunist is deterred. Piece of mind for lunch or bathroom or touring stroll breaks.