PDA

View Full Version : "Best" 35mm tires for D2R2 this year

weisan
07-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Don't worry what others think, I am interested in what YOU think.

So, in your opinion, what's the "best" 35 mm tires suited for D2R2 THIS year?

My bike can only accommodate up to 35mm width, thus the stipulation.

Obviously, nobody can predict what weather is going to be like in mid-late August at Deerfield and what it does to the course but hey....that's where your predictive abilities, experience and knowledge of the course comes in.

Thanks for playing.

AngryScientist
07-18-2016, 08:59 AM
gravel king SK

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/559ad903e4b0167e5302e7d3/t/561ab0bae4b0906d17cfd5fb/1444589756436/GravelkingSK?format=300w

weisan
07-18-2016, 09:01 AM
thanks angry pal, I have to look into that!

gomango
07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
gravel king SK

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/559ad903e4b0167e5302e7d3/t/561ab0bae4b0906d17cfd5fb/1444589756436/GravelkingSK?format=300w

I love these tires.

Have them on my Bilenky and they are super sweet for the $$$$$.

Very durable, roll surprisingly well on cruddy St. Paul roads and are just right on our hard packed limestone country roads.

Shop a bit and you can find them for el cheapo prices.

marciero
07-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Compass has a 35. That's what I would use. As far as the weather goes, it is not quite like cyclocross. Tire choice is less weather dependent, IMO. The road composition and terrain is such that water is not absorbed, so it does not turn to mud in the wet. so smooth tire is fine either way.

weisan
07-18-2016, 09:06 AM
Shop a bit and you can find them for el cheapo prices.

THanks for chiming in go pal. I did shop around (in just the last 30 seconds or so), the cheapest I found is Merlin Cycles going for $30 a piece but they were out of stock so I went over to eBay and found a seller selling a pair for $57 + $6 shipping. That's the cheapest I have found so far....just fyi to others who might be interested.

AngryScientist
07-18-2016, 09:07 AM
i am limited to 32's and am either going with these or the tried and true panaracer pasela.

weisan
07-18-2016, 09:13 AM
i am limited to 32's and am either going with these or the tried and true panaracer pasela.

Sounds good my friend. That's I ran with the last time I did it in 2013, 35mm Paselas - they were fine for the most part. I will be interested to see how a tire with a bit more "knobs" do compared to the pasela.

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2016, 09:17 AM

Great tire, but as much as you ride and at your weight, you owe it to yourself to try the 32mm Compass Extra Light tires.

AngryScientist
07-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Great tire, but as much as you ride and at your weight, you owe it to yourself to try the 32mm Compass Extra Light tires.

Colonel,

What is your view on the potential for sidewall cuts riding gravel with the EL casing tires? They may be too delicate, no?

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Colonel,

What is your view on the potential for sidewall cuts riding gravel with the EL casing tires? They may be too delicate, no?

Not in my experience. I suppose it depends on the type of gravel. I mean, maybe if the gravel is deep and sharp like shale or flint or something, but I don't see that type of rock.

I recently did 250 miles on gravel with the Switchback Hill EL. It's true that it has a lot more volume and can be ran at lower pressures, but I'm confident I could have done the same ride with Stampede Pass ELs and had no issues. I've worked to sell off a lot of bikes and narrow my stable. Now the skinniest tire in my small fleet is the Stampede Pass. The roads I ride are generally pretty crappy pavement and I'm not a lightweight; no good reason for me to ever ride anything narrower.

I agree with Marciero that a smooth tread is almost always the way to go unless you are climbing in muddy conditions.

weisan
07-18-2016, 09:37 AM
What do y'all think about the Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32mm tires?

I bought a pair back in June when they were having the annual sale (buy one get one free).

They were mounted but not ridden yet.

https://specialized.com/us/en/components/roubaix-pro/105840

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/5/84125-largest_1_Specialized_Roubaix_28_tread.jpg

christian
07-18-2016, 10:07 AM
I have a choice between Compass Stampede Pass (32mm) and Panaracer Pasela (35mm). I will be running the Stampede Passes, I think.

For bicycle I am trying to decide between my Zanconato gravel road with cantis, my Hampsten Strada Bianca, or my Santa Cruz 5010. The Zanc is in the lead for now. If I ride the 5010, it'll be Rocket Ron/Racing Ralphs.

joosttx
07-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Specialized Trigger Pros.

John H.
07-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Trigger pro is nice- Schwable G-One in 700x35 is also nice if you need more meat than that.

Specialized Trigger Pros.

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Colonel,

Compass tires don't play well with gravel. I had two catastrophic ruptures in June alone. Smooth as silk.

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2016, 12:03 PM
compass tires don't play well with gravel, in my experience. I had two catastrophic ruptures in june alone. Smooth as silk.

fify

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 12:09 PM
Ok. Two ruptures on new 35 mm EL tires on chip sealed roads

I've also cut the casings on the 32 mm EL version on true dirt roads

Of course this is my experience.

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2016, 12:16 PM
I don't doubt you at all. And it sucks. But, to be fair, others have no issues. Like I said above, must be dependent on the type of surface. I wouldn't expect any tire to experience sidewall cuts on chip and seal. Maybe the surface is different where I'm from as chip and seal I'm familiar with uses pretty small gravel that is not loose.

cp43
07-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Gravel Kings and Pasela's are both good suggestions.

There's also these: http://clementcycling.com/xplor-mso
I haven't used them, but I've heard good things from many riders who have. I don't know if they run narrow or wide, so if you go that way, you might want the 32mm nominal size, just in case they do run wide.

You'd probably be fine on those Specialized tires also. Best argument for them, you already have them!

Chris

CNY rider
07-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Conti Cyclocross Speed.

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't doubt you at all. And it sucks. But, to be fair, others have no issues. Like I said above, must be dependent on the type of surface. I wouldn't expect any tire to experience sidewall cuts on chip and seal. Maybe the surface is different where I'm from as chip and seal I'm familiar with uses pretty small gravel.
Apologize for my lack of clarity. Casing rupture the size of a dime and the size of a quarter thru the tread and casing. These two were on chip seal roads hitting a stone on one and believed to be a stone on the other (no other debris but loose stone on the road)

The cut side walls on the 32 mm EL versions were on true dirt roads. I threw the tires away and did not take pictures. I booted one during the ride.

I have sung the praises of these tires and have many tens of thousands of miles on them. In larger volume at low pressure with light riders on great roads, I doubt anyone would have a problem. I can only say Bon Jons won't be on my bike on Octobr 1 at the start of the Route 66 bike race due to the gravel and other concerns. I felt I owed it to others to share my unusual experience with these tires.

ColonelJLloyd
07-18-2016, 12:58 PM
I felt I owed it to others to share my unusual experience with these tires.

Absolutely, as you should. My suggestion to Nick was to try the tires out since his frame can fit them. Whether they are an appropriate choice for particular gravel courses (never ridden D2R2 so I can't comment) I cannot say.

The misunderstanding is likely on my part. I think I saw "casing" and my brain read "sidewall".

R3awak3n
07-18-2016, 01:01 PM
absolutely good to hear your experience and I don't think anyone will say that these are durable tires, they are not, specially in the EL variety but I have not have had any bad experience with them on gravel so far. 1000 miles on the switchback hill (non EL), plenty of gravel and there are some cuts on the thread and I have had a few flats but they have been pretty much flawless.

I think it really depends on what you put em through and they are not good for all gravel.

I will be running switchback hills for D2R2

merckx
07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
This topic resurfaces frequently, and as it should because dirt road tire technology, and offerings, has been prolific in recent years. Each of us want to find a balance. Some events like D2R2 are arduous, even the 100k, so we seek a tire with low rolling resistance. Who wants to be bogged down with slow tires when in the coffin? On the other hand, we also desire robust tires that won't puncture easily, and have some purchase on slimy, off camber dirt descents like Hawks Road in the Deerfield event. I have ridden Deerfield about seven times and have used a different set of tires each time. When my fitness is lacking I lean on a faster tire and squeeze my sphincter on the gnarly descents. When I'm feeling fitter, I generally go in a more conservative direction and add some tread and sidewall protection. I think the best tire I have used to date is a 32c MSO. This year I may use a fat Compass. Says a lot about my current state of fitness.

4Rings6Stars
07-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I used the 35mm Clement xplor USH last year and will be using it again this year.

chriscap
07-18-2016, 04:15 PM
I've used Michelin Jets mounted tubeless for the past 2 years riding the 100K route with no issues. They are listed at 30mm but I believe I remember they measured wider than 32 on the rims I used.

I have a new pair of MSO 36 tubeless that I had planned to try, but unfortunately I can't make the date this year. Not sure how those measure out since i haven't mounted them yet.

Whatever you ride, have fun - it's such an awesome day on the bike.

Andy sti
07-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Challenge Gravel Grinder Race is a great tire. Nice and supple and rolls really well. I just raced Crusher in the Tushar with them and they were perfect. I used them with latex tubes.

witcombusa
07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Colonel,

I had set of Gran Bois Cypress tires on my Witcomb down in Leesburg and the tread got shredded by the gravel down there. I would personally not run any of the ligher weight casings and treads for events like D2R2 or F2G2. I'll be on Pasela's, 700 x 35 with folding bead, again.

ripvanrando
07-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Has any used schwalbe g-one on gravel? I going to try a set of these for the heck of it. Also the schwalbe s-one for better dirt surface

Corso
07-18-2016, 07:05 PM
I’ve used 35mm Clement xplor USH’s the past 2 years. No flats at all.

R3awak3n
07-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Absolutely, as you should. My suggestion to Nick was to try the tires out since his frame can fit them. Whether they are an appropriate choice for particular gravel courses (never ridden D2R2 so I can't comment) I cannot say.

The misunderstanding is likely on my part. I think I saw "casing" and my brain read "sidewall".

I rode D2R2 on babyshoe pass. It was perfect... actually, almost perfect, could use a bit more traction which means the switchbacks will be perfection.

ajhapps
07-19-2016, 01:10 AM
Has any used schwalbe g-one on gravel? I going to try a set of these for the heck of it. Also the schwalbe s-one for better dirt surface

I run G-ones out here for trails in Marin. Really nice for mixed surfaces, roll decently on pavement, fast on packed dirt. They have pretty small knobs though, so not a ton of bite if it gets really loose. I think the lack of bigger knobs on the outer edge limit cornering speeds in looser dirt/gravel. You'll fly on hardpack, though!

weisan
07-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Those mentioned so far:

gravel king SK
panaracer pasela
compass stampede pass
Specialized Trigger Pros
Schwable G-One
clement xplor mso or ush
switchback hills
Challenge Gravel Grinder Race
babyshoe pass
Conti Cyclocross Speed
Bon Jon Pass

AngryScientist
07-19-2016, 06:21 AM
Those mentioned so far:

gravel king SK
panaracer pasela
compass stampede pass
Specialized Trigger Pros
Schwable G-One
clement xplor mso or ush
switchback hills
Challenge Gravel Grinder Race
babyshoe pass
Conti Cyclocross Speed

will there be a MattTuck style pie chart updated regularly up to the date of the event? Ultimately corrected for actual tires used and failure rates??

weisan
07-19-2016, 06:34 AM
will there be a MattTuck style pie chart updated regularly up to the date of the event? Ultimately corrected for actual tires used and failure rates??

Probably not, just coz' I am not as talented and OCD as Matt pal :D

happycampyer
07-19-2016, 08:24 AM
I've been an advocate of wide tires for D2R2 long before the "don't be a wus, all you need is 19mm track tires to ride D2R2" contingent bought Seven Evergreens and wide-tired out. As far as tread/knobs go, it's a trade-off. Imo, a coarse tread or knobs come in handy on less than 5% of the 100K course, and is a drag on the paved sections which make up ~40%. Keeping your tire pressure on the low side helps with traction on the sketchy sections.

I've ridden Michelin Jets (1x), Jack Browns (2x), Vittoria Randonneurs (2x), and Compass Babyshoe Passes (1x), so you can see I'm pretty much in the slick tread camp. I've been riding the Bon Jon Passes on Hampsten, and wouldn't hesitate riding them on D2R2. Hard to go wrong with any of the tires on the list, but it's hard to say that any one is universally the "best."

happycampyer
07-19-2016, 08:27 AM
P.S. The Baybyshoe Pass tires are 650B--not sure if that is a viable option for you.

AngryScientist
07-19-2016, 08:28 AM
i'm starting to wonder if i can squeeze a set of those bon jon's in my frame.

who has a measurement on 23mm rims?

marciero
07-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Tens of thousands of miles on Compass tires, both 32 700c and 42 650b, with significant portion of that on dirt roads, (including about 300-500 miles on a 650b tandem, on VT gravel, including D2R2 roads, with EL Babyshoe Pass)
One catastrophic sidewall cut in all that time, while riding on a smooth road with just a few small gravel chips at a driveway entrance. Pretty good odds in my view, though the cut I did get was alarming as I had not ever cut a tire like that.

I'll be riding the Babyshoe pass at D2R2 on the tandem. But I also do take note of others' experience with these tires and may bring a spare tire.

ColonelJLloyd
07-19-2016, 08:47 AM

I do not, but I can say that the 38mm Barlow Pass measured pretty spot on mounted on H+Son TB14s (23mm external/17.5mm internal).

happycampyer
07-19-2016, 09:39 AM

Can confirm tonight but iirc the JBPs on Hed Ardennes measure 35mm pretty much on the dot when first installed. They do stretch a mm or two over time, so it's worth checking.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-86VkH53/0/XL/i-86VkH53-XL.jpg

seanile
07-19-2016, 10:14 AM

I run G-ones out here for trails in Marin. Really nice for mixed surfaces, roll decently on pavement, fast on packed dirt. They have pretty small knobs though, so not a ton of bite if it gets really loose. I think the lack of bigger knobs on the outer edge limit cornering speeds in looser dirt/gravel. You'll fly on hardpack, though!

i would love to know the real width for the g-one if you could take that measurement. theyve been on my to-buy list for a while.

weisan
07-19-2016, 04:32 PM
if it's really up to me, I would just bring my cheap but totally awesome $100 nashbar disc gravel bike mounted with Bruce Gordon RocknRoad 43mm tires and just blast through the whole course...no, actually, I will still take my own sweet time to enjoy the views, pig out at every rest stops, talk to everyone, stop and take pictures except that I don't have to worry about all the gnarly sections because the BG RR tires will eat them for breakfast AND still going pretty fast on the flat paved sections.

However, this is all just a pipe dream....since I am flying, and trying to cut down on expenses, I will be bringing my taylor travel bike with the ritchey breakaway couplings which is restricted to tires no more than 35 mm width, so we are back to square one. :D

Wish I am local...then all of these would be a no-brainer. Seriously.

foo_fighter
07-19-2016, 05:07 PM
If you're just looking to try out something on the cheap I have a few pairs of "broken in" tires I'd let go for cheap:
35c Maxxis Razes
34c Specialized Captain CX Pros
A pair of BNIB Schwalbe Racing Ralph EVOs 700x35c.(These wouldn't be super cheap)

if it's really up to me, I would just bring my cheap but totally awesome $100 nashbar disc gravel bike mounted with Bruce Gordon RocknRoad 43mm tires and just blast through the whole course...no, actually, I will still take my own sweet time to enjoy the views, pig out at every rest stops, talk to everyone, stop and take pictures except that I don't have to worry about all the gnarly sections because the BG RR tires will eat them for breakfast AND still going pretty fast on the flat paved sections.

However, this is all just a pipe dream....since I am flying, and trying to cut down on expenses, I will be bringing my taylor travel bike with the ritchey breakaway couplings which is restricted to tires no more than 35 mm width, so we are back to square one. :D

gomango
07-19-2016, 05:09 PM
which is restricted to tires no more than 35 mm width, so we are back to square one. :D

Here's another thought.

I run Soma Vitesse SLs on my McLean that I built for Eroica.

700x33s and I really like them so far.

I also run the same tire in the wider 700x38 size on my Merckx cross bike.

That is, until the fall season hits. :)

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1627/26219414190_1314edb4c0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FWVmnm)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/FWVmnm) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

cp43
07-19-2016, 05:28 PM

I rode, I think, 6 D2R2s on a cheap nashbar bike. Great bike for the money.

The only one I did on another bike was my touring bike with 35mm Vittoria Randonee tires. They're almost totally slick, and didn't give me any trouble on that ride.

Don't over think this. :beer:

Chris

sparky33
07-19-2016, 09:08 PM
i would love to know the real width for the g-one if you could take that measurement. theyve been on my to-buy list for a while.

G-One 35s measure about 36mm on wide rims (SL23s)...nearly the same size as the Bon Jon Pass.

G-Ones are nice. Fast and grippy, not quite as cushy as a Compass tire but still nice. Easy tubeless setup. Feels durable.

ripvanrando
07-20-2016, 02:18 PM

36.8 and 37.4 mm on HED plus and Flo 60 carbon rims. I can't remember which was which. I can check when back from vacation. I also never measured after riding them for a while. I do know for sure that the beads stretch a lot

OldCrank
07-20-2016, 06:45 PM
One more opinion:

I don't see this drought ending anytime soon.
So, unless you're up front, a lot of it's gonna be dusty and desert-like... right?

Wide and squishy. Maybe filetread `cross - like tires. Knobs - meh, they won't hurt.

weisan
07-20-2016, 07:24 PM
One more opinion:

So, unless you're up front, a lot of it's gonna be dusty and desert-like... right?

Wide and squishy. Maybe filetread `cross - like tires. Knobs - meh, they won't hurt.

Bon Jon Pass it is then! :D

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx35-bon-jon-pass/#

ergott
07-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Late to the discussion, but I've always used Michelin Jets and plan on using them again this year.

I've come to appreciate some knobs on the edges for hooking up on some sketchy corners. Some of those descents can get hairy.

ripvanrando
07-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Bon Jon Pass it is then! :D

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx35-bon-jon-pass/#

Be prepared to boot them.

weisan
07-20-2016, 08:14 PM
Some of those descents can get hairy.

thanks for your input, Ergott pal.

Yes, I agree!

guido
07-20-2016, 08:29 PM
I was going to use Baby Shoe Pass, but given recent events I can use Switchback Hills!

Erik_A
07-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Kenda Happy Medium Pro SCT

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/cyclocross-gravel/happy-medium-pro/

Choose 32mm with wide rims (which measure wider than most 35mm tires)

These 32c's are set up tubeless on HED Ardennes plus lt wheels with CafeLatex and are almost as wide as Surly Knard 41c's on standard rims.

merckx
07-20-2016, 08:39 PM
One more opinion:

Good observation about the drought. We are currently in a severe drought in western mass with no reprieve on the horizon. It has never rained on the day of D2R2. All of this means that this will be the first year of rain! Two or three days before this year's event, once the forecast of rain is confirmed, we will have to revisit our tire choices, again......

moose8
07-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Good observation about the drought. We are currently in a severe drought in western mass with no reprieve on the horizon. It has never rained on the day of D2R2. All of this means that this will be the first year of rain! Two or three days before this year's event, once the forecast of rain is confirmed, we will have to revisit our tire choices, again......

What about hurricane Irene? If you were slow like me it rained if I'm remembering correctly, but my memory is sometimes incorrect.

saab2000
07-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Here's another thought.

I run Soma Vitesse SLs on my McLean that I built for Eroica.

700x33s and I really like them so far.

I also run the same tire in the wider 700x38 size on my Merckx cross bike.

That is, until the fall season hits. :)

https://c7.staticflickr.com/2/1627/26219414190_1314edb4c0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/FWVmnm)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/FWVmnm) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

This bicycle is perfect, except.......

shorten the brake cable housings. They're too long!

And put some proper clip and strap pedals on! It's the only way to recreate the experience! Burning feet were a way of life then!

gomango
07-20-2016, 08:59 PM
This bicycle is perfect, except.......

And put some proper clip and strap pedals on! It's the only way to recreate the experience! Burning feet were a way of life then!

Nope !!!!

Within a 1 cm of McLean's spec. Plenty good for this oldster.

As for pedals, I'd be happy to put on Supperleggeris just to keep every one happy on the webz.... :)

Can deal with it for 100 miles if I have to.

I actually ride the bike though.

merckx
07-20-2016, 09:21 PM
What about hurricane Irene? If you were slow like me it rained if I'm remembering correctly, but my memory is sometimes incorrect.

The rain came late, at least I remained dry; however when the teeth of Irene sunk into New England, boy that is another story.

witcombusa
07-21-2016, 04:51 AM

Oh it RAINED that year for sure, but it was later in the day. I had already had a swim, refreshing pint or two and food. The very front of the storm tricked in as I was packing up to leave after my 100k ride.

I was back on the moto to ride the 180k about a month later. It was a horrific scene up there. Bridges missing, erosion on the steep dirt roads, MISSING sections of road. Truly amazing :eek:. Then Sandy took up the collection to help repair the crib dam lunch 'park' and later rode in with the check for that neighborhood. It was great we got to help out those folks...

ColonelJLloyd
07-21-2016, 05:41 AM

Housing should be long enough to allow for the full adjustment (extension) of the stem. Gorgeous bike, gomango.

gomango
07-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Housing should be long enough to allow for the full adjustment (extension) of the stem. Gorgeous bike, gomango.

Thank you. :)

I'm sold on these wide Soma tires.

Very close to the Compass tires at a slightly improved price.

Panaracer really has this figured out. Imho

christian
07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
I have a choice between Compass Stampede Pass (32mm) and Panaracer Pasela (35mm). I will be running the Stampede Passes, I think.

After some very steep, rough, loose-gravel descents this weekend, I am revising this. The Stampede Pass lack sufficient tread to deal with loose sand and gravel. I'll be riding Panaracer Paselas.

weisan
07-25-2016, 03:23 PM
That's interesting Christian pal, that's what I used (35mm Pasela) back in 2013 at D2R2, I wouldn't think that the Pasela has that much more "bite" on the road than say a Compass...maybe it does, my memory is failing me. Contemplating whether to just stick with Pasela...at $26 a piece, it's cheap, compared to you-know-what. Also, thinking about gravel king...

christian
07-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Pasela 35mm:
http://urbanvelo.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/newxpress_tilted.jpg

Stampede Pass 32mm:
https://roadbikerider.com/images/Compass_Stampede_Pass_700x32_Tire.web_.jpg

R3awak3n
07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
imho you will get better traction because volume is a bit high but that thread difference should not give you a night and day experience if any extra traction at all.... you will still be slippin all over the place with the pasela.

Hilltopperny
07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
Can't really go wrong with a gravel king or paselas. I've used the 28 and 32 version of the paselas and the 28 gravel kings with good results, but really never did any rides on them with larger size gravel.

weisan
07-25-2016, 04:05 PM
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ChallengeGravelGrinder2015-2-700x303.jpg
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ChallengeAlmanzo2015-1.jpg

witcombusa
07-25-2016, 08:21 PM
imho you will get better traction because volume is a bit high but that thread difference should not give you a night and day experience if any extra traction at all.... you will still be slippin all over the place with the pasela.

I have not found that to be the case at all. I run the 700 x 35 Pasela @ 55-60psi

christian
07-25-2016, 08:46 PM

I have ridden D2R2 four times, three times with Pasela 35mm and once with Vittoria XG tubulars. I specifically rode D2R2-like descents and ascents this weekend to assess the Stampede Pass tires. I can confirm there is a difference in loose sand and gravel, and a noticeable one at that.

pinkshogun
07-25-2016, 08:53 PM
37mm Paselas have a slightly raised tread...my go to tire for D2R2 and local dirt/gravel

weisan
07-25-2016, 09:38 PM
You guys have persuaded me to go dug out my old friend "Mr. 35mm Pasela" from the tires landfill in my garage : D

If I remember correctly, I took these off literally right after my trip to D2R2 in 2013. So, they been waiting to see the light of day :eek:

http://alicehui.com/bike/blue/v8.jpg

I mounted them on the Velocity A23 wheelset that I had built several months ago and by then it was already almost dark, I was still able to roll them a couple of times up and down my street. I was re-acquainted with the bombproof-like feeling of the pasela, and the sure-footed traction on the pavement. I am going to take it out on the local trail the next few days just to get familiarize again with its manners. :p

http://alicehui.com/bike/blue/v6.jpg

weisan
07-25-2016, 10:02 PM
forgot to mention I also have a pair of Compass Stampede Pass 32mm mounted on my Merlin cross bike that I use for touring. Compared with the Pasela, it feels faster and lighter. The pasela feels like they are more "sticky" on the pavement and has more rotational mass. Not to say one is better than the other, just different. So perhaps different tools for different jobs.

simonov
07-26-2016, 04:18 AM
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ChallengeGravelGrinder2015-2-700x303.jpg
http://www.gravelcyclist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ChallengeAlmanzo2015-1.jpg

I've always heard the Challenge tires are to be avoided, but a couple friends used those gravel grinders at Dirty Kanza and a bunch of other dirt/gravel rides and they only say great things. I'm tempted to give them a shot.

cachagua
07-26-2016, 11:30 AM
Kenda Happy Medium Pro SCT... Choose 32mm with wide rims (which measure wider than most 35mm tires)

Has anyone got measurements for these in 32 and in 35? I can fit Bon Jons (on TB14s or Belgiums) into this one bike but I'm hunting for something knobbier. These Happy Mediums might do, but I'd look at anything else... there seems to be a weird hole in the sizes between 35, and 40 or 42... or maybe it's between 700 and 29"? Anyway if there were a Continental Mountain King exactly the width of the Bon Jons, that'd be what I'm looking for.

Not to push things too far off topic (I won't be riding these on D2R2) but any suggestions appreciated.

2metalhips
07-26-2016, 05:30 PM
I've always heard the Challenge tires are to be avoided, but a couple friends used those gravel grinders at Dirty Kanza and a bunch of other dirt/gravel rides and they only say great things. I'm tempted to give them a shot.

I've been using the Challenge GG Race 38's 120 tpi tires for a couple years now, very nice tire, smooth supple ride, no flats on some pretty tough rocks. They make a number of different models with various tpi's and widths, but I have only used that one set. I've also used the Clement 35mm USH, I like the Challenge tires much more.

p nut
07-26-2016, 05:43 PM
I've also heard of Challenge QC issues as well. Good to hear positive reports. I will have to check them out.

By the way, their site lists "Open Tubulars" and "Clinchers". I've always thought they were the same thing (just marketing terminology)?

Erik_A
07-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Challenge open tubulars are made from the same cotton casing as their tubular tires, just with a bead. Clinchers are typical rubber tires with a bead. I have run Challenge Grifo 32c open tubulars with latex tubes on my cross bike with standard road rims (Mavic Open Pro) and they are great; no issues - very supple ride.

simonov
07-27-2016, 03:48 AM
I've been using the Challenge GG Race 38's 120 tpi tires for a couple years now, very nice tire, smooth supple ride, no flats on some pretty tough rocks. They make a number of different models with various tpi's and widths, but I have only used that one set. I've also used the Clement 35mm USH, I like the Challenge tires much more.

This is good to hear. I'm currently riding the Clement USH 35mm tires and while I've liked other Clement tires I've used, I'm not terribly fond of these. Time to try the Challenge GG 38s...

joosttx
07-27-2016, 01:24 PM

I dose d2r2 with grifos xs's some time ago. These tires are very similar to those. I had no flats and was descending faster than most which I think was because of the tires nice grip.

This year I'm riding refuse's or trigger pros

jambee
07-29-2016, 06:48 AM
[/I]Can confirm tonight but iirc the JBPs on Hed Ardennes measure 35mm pretty much on the dot when first installed. They do stretch a mm or two over time, so it's worth checking.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-86VkH53/0/XL/i-86VkH53-XL.jpg

@happycampyer what kind of fork is that? How are you getting so much clearance? So jealous...I have a beautiful Indy Fab (crown jewel Ti) that gets NO LOVE since I can not keep myself on the road...if I could get more rubber in there....oh yeh....

happycampyer
07-29-2016, 08:01 AM
That's the Seven 5e Touring fork for mid-reach brakes. It has an axle-to-crown height of 382-383mm, so it's taller than a standard road fork by approximately 1cm. The inside of the fork is almost squared off under the crown, so it has lots of clearance for wide tires or fenders.