PDA

View Full Version : Washington D.C. Commuters! L & M Streets

Monthly Payment
07-17-2016, 09:30 PM
This may become a series. I'm trying to search as much as I can as there is a lot of DC tips on the forum already but I'm moving to the area for work. Family reasons dictate moving to the VA side and I'll be commuting by bike hopefully to the National Geographic Museum. The way in from VA shows going over the Key bridge and taking L on the way to work, M on the way back. Every time I drive through Georgetown (albeit weekends and holidays) it ain't fun and looks less fun on a bike. I mapped it out and its 2 - 2.5 miles from off the Key bridge to work. How much will that suck on local DC roads?

Is there a better route? I usually been riding over the bridge over Roosevelt Island.

Benneke
07-17-2016, 10:08 PM
I commuted to Georgetown a few years ago. The Key Bridge is fine to ride across, you can either ride with traffic or on the separated sidewalk. When I lived in DC the Key Bridge was my favorite way to cross the river by bike. On weekdays, the sidewalk can be a good option, on weekends the sidewalk is filled with tourists and the road is mostly empty. M St is rideable but not very pleasant through Georgetown because there isn't a bike lane and traffic is heavy. You can use K St through Georgetown instead of M St, where there is very little traffic. I believe L St has bike lanes, but not sure.

Gummee
07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
I don't commute (or ride) to the city often, but all the bridges seemed OK to ride on. The ?14th st? bridge has a separated MUT lane next to the main lanes.

AFA the city streets? I got nuthin

M

adrien
07-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Where are you coming from in VA? That will allow us to be smarter...

I don't commute, but ride into the city all the time. I definitely have favorite routes to avoid traffic and trail traffic.

Monthly Payment
07-18-2016, 09:13 PM
I'm coming over from the Custis trail most likely. I'm still trying to figure out Fairfax or Arlington. We haven't found a place yet. My sister lives in Woodlawn Hills area so we're looking close to there.

Thanks!

flydhest
07-19-2016, 05:40 AM
I commute through DC streets every day by bike. My current office is just a couple blocks from National Geo. L Street has a segregated bike lane. It should be fine to ride. M Street will be congested going back but is one way for most of it in the real downtown part, so not too bad. Georgetown is better on bike than car. More importantly, it is a small area, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I don't know Notthern Virginia at all (live on U Street) but commuting in DC is fine if you are willing to take it slow at first. Traffic gets bad, drivers get careless, but in 20 years commuting I have had one contact with a car and it was at 0 mph because I saw him going and yelled and had moved mostly to the side.