PDA

View Full Version : Campy 2015 (Revolution) vs previous generation

mwynne
07-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Long story short, have a new frame coming, and debating how to build it!

I'm mainly waffling between picking up a used previous generation Chorus 11 group for a more palatable price, or waiting a while (to save) and going for the latest stuff. Alternate option is to move over most of my Record 10 group (could be temporary or longer term).

Haven't used any Campy newer than my mid-2000s Record 10, and would appreciate thoughts on pros/cons of the newer options.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
07-17-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the Rev+ stuff over the prior gen 11 speed bits. Though I'm unsure how much of that is a new group vs. group used for a few years.

But I definitely like how it shifts.

lhuerta
07-17-2016, 01:12 PM
...just installed a 2015 SR 11 gruppo. Yes, there are notable significant improvements, mostly to the shifting action.

In comparison to my 2009 SR 11 gruppo, the biggest improvement is in the front shifting action....the new long arm frt der together with redesigned clicks in the ergo power lever make for very accurate, light action, and fast shifting (3 clicks from small to big ring, no trim needed when on big ring; two-clicks from big to small with third small click for trim). The 2-click action going from big to small ring guarantees that you will never drop a chain. The action of the front der is more sensitive to cable tension, making the install a bit different….but once dialed in, it is very accurate. The ramps on chainrings are also redesigned/repositioned, resulting in much more positive and fast engagement. The rear der seems faster and accurate, albeit the clicks in the lever are very stiff and utilitarian. A definite upgrade compared to previous generation 11 speed, in my opinion. Lou

oldpotatoe
07-17-2016, 03:41 PM
...just installed a 2015 SR 11 gruppo. Yes, there are notable significant improvements, mostly to the shifting action.

In comparison to my 2009 SR 11 gruppo, the biggest improvement is in the front shifting action....the new long arm frt der together with redesigned clicks in the ergo power lever make for very accurate, light action, and fast shifting (3 clicks from small to big ring, no trim needed when on big ring; two-clicks from big to small with third small click for trim). The 2-click action going from big to small ring guarantees that you will never drop a chain. The action of the front der is more sensitive to cable tension, making the install a bit different….but once dialed in, it is very accurate. The ramps on chainrings are also redesigned/repositioned, resulting in much more positive and fast engagement. The rear der seems faster and accurate, albeit the clicks in the lever are very stiff and utilitarian. A definite upgrade compared to previous generation 11 speed, in my opinion. Lou

Proper front Der adjust for all 2009+ stuff was 3 clicks small to big ring but 2015 front Der softer and Powershift/droopy thumb button much more reliable.

mwynne
07-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Proper front Der adjust for all 2009+ stuff was 3 clicks small to big ring but 2015 front Der softer and Powershift/droopy thumb button much more reliable.
Any thoughts on the general question? Is it worth shelling out for 2015, or coming from pre-2009 will I be plenty happy with the last generation?

AngryScientist
07-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Any thoughts on the general question? Is it worth shelling out for 2015, or coming from pre-2009 will I be plenty happy with the last generation?

the short answer is no, it's not worth spending the extra $$ for the new stuff if you're on a budget. if you're needing to save a few bucks, the older stuff works great. i've got it all in rotation, and have no issues with the last generation. chorus is, as you've guessed, the sweet spot IMO.

tuscanyswe
07-17-2016, 04:27 PM
I actually think the latest version of the campy lines are now really great again after perhaps not being so great around 2009 ish+. Had at least 3 groups of campy 11 before the 2015+ group i now have. Thought the previous 11s campy groups were not an upgrade from say 10 chorus / record, more like a downgrade. Think my groups were in the 2009-2012 range so perhaps there were upgrades after that which i missed out on.

Not as precise shifting in general. Also the 2009 shifters were way to soft (later fixed around 2010-11 i heard but didn't really feel). Now my chorus 11 is a very nice group again after 2015 but perhaps i were just unlucky with the previous group sets..

Then again i were never unlucky with record 10! :D

With current pricing its def worth it to go with the newer stuff imo. 850 ish for full NEW groupset? You get used older version for what 600ish? No upside to buying used campy 11s imo. Uk and ger webshops killed the used market on this stuff.

FlashUNC
07-17-2016, 07:04 PM
I'd go with the new stuff personally. I really do think its superior to the prior gen 11 speed stuff. Whether that's confirmation bias or not I can't say.

But I really, really like the Rev+ stuff. From the FD redesign to the more tactile rear shifting. Improvement all around.

mwynne
07-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Hmmm might be a case of migrate the old groupset until I can afford new kit.

bfd
07-17-2016, 09:01 PM

I'm mainly waffling between picking up a used previous generation Chorus 11 group for a more palatable price, or waiting a while (to save) and going for the latest stuff. Alternate option is to move over most of my Record 10 group (could be temporary or longer term).

Haven't used any Campy newer than my mid-2000s Record 10, and would appreciate thoughts on pros/cons of the newer options.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. After all these years of using Campy 9 on my 18 year old Calfee and recently purchased, but 90s litespeed, last week I ordered a custom lugged steel frameset from my LBS.

With the Brexit, the price of Campy has never been cheaper! I can get a complete 2016 Chorus group for under $800; a mix of 2016 Record/Chorus for under a $1k!

But, I'm also considering....wait....hold it....SRAM Etap! Yes, that super clean look of etap is drawing me in! Basically, you have that "track bike" look on a geared bike! Now, the Sram kits appears to be hard to come back and definitely not cheap (about twice the price of a complete Chorus group), so if I decide to go for it, I'm getting it at my LBS. It gives them business and who knows, maybe I'll get the "shop discount!"

So, what's an old Campy guy to do....

bfd
07-17-2016, 09:03 PM

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. After all these years of using Campy 9 on my 18 year old Calfee and 90s litespeed, that I purchased here a couple of years ago, last week I ordered a custom lugged steel frameset from my LBS.

With the Brexit, the price of Campy from the UK retailers has never been cheaper! You can find a complete 2016 Chorus group for under $800; a mix of 2016 Record/Chorus for under a $1k!

But, I'm also considering....wait....hold it....SRAM Etap! Yes, that super clean look of etap is drawing me in! Basically, you have that "track bike" look on a geared bike! Now, the Sram kits appears to be hard to come back and definitely not cheap (about twice the price of a complete Chorus group), so if I decide to go for it, I'm getting it at my LBS. It gives them business and who knows, maybe I'll get the "shop discount!"

So, what's an old Campy guy to do....

oldpotatoe
07-18-2016, 05:59 AM

I think the 2009 stuff ERGOnomics and reduced wear innards are great innovations. 2015 is an improvement and I would opt for 2015/6 stuff. Chorus is hard to beat.

summilux
07-18-2016, 07:45 AM
I have a few bikes with square taper 10s Record and others with first and second generation 11s SR. I agree with all the comments about much improved FD shifting with each generation getting better. The RD shifting seems to improve a little bit with each generation as well. Braking power feels similar. My hands seem insensitive to the ergometrics of the shifters and I don't have any preference between the generations. If money were an issue, I'm certain that I could ride 10s happily forever.

Other than price, the only downside to the 11s are the crank bearings. I've replaced my SR UT bearings twice in 4 years of riding. I pack them with lots of grease but it doesn't seem to have helped. All my square taper BBs still spin like butter.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2016, 08:20 AM
I have a few bikes with square taper 10s Record and others with first and second generation 11s SR. I agree with all the comments about much improved FD shifting with each generation getting better. The RD shifting seems to improve a little bit with each generation as well. Braking power feels similar. My hands seem insensitive to the ergometrics of the shifters and I don't have any preference between the generations. If money were an issue, I'm certain that I could ride 10s happily forever.

Other than price, the only downside to the 11s are the crank bearings. I've replaced my SR UT bearings twice in 4 years of riding. I pack them with lots of grease but it doesn't seem to have helped. All my square taper BBs still spin like butter.

Ceramic? Use steel/Chorus or better yet, US made. Remember 6mm width!

summilux
07-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Ceramic? Use steel/Chorus or better yet, US made. Remember 6mm width!

Ceramic to start because I think that's what comes with SR. I replaced them with the Campy branded Chorus/Record bearings and replaced those again this season. I bought the two pair at the same time so it is possible they come from a bad batch. Not sure where they are made but next time I'm going to try a non-Campy bearing. I remember you had a thread somewhere here with the correct bearing specs.

I think it's the seal quality coupled with their exposed nature. I use lots of Phil's grease on install. Maybe I could tray another brand?

FlashUNC
07-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Ceramic bearings shouldn't be greased...

lhuerta
07-18-2016, 09:30 AM

huh? The CULT ceramic bearing on the SR stuff is probably the best "upgrade" worth the extra $, compared to Record or Chorus. I am about to turn 20K miles on my 2009 SR cranks with original CULT bearings and they still spin forever. I only use a light oil on my ceramic bearings. I ride year round in the rain, snow/ice and gravel, and I flush and clean about every 3K miles. I would recommend taking a close look at your BB width (to spec with Campy requirements?) and BB shell facing as something does not sound right.

oldpotatoe
07-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Ceramic to start because I think that's what comes with SR. I replaced them with the Campy branded Chorus/Record bearings and replaced those again this season. I bought the two pair at the same time so it is possible they come from a bad batch. Not sure where they are made but next time I'm going to try a non-Campy bearing. I remember you had a thread somewhere here with the correct bearing specs.

I think it's the seal quality coupled with their exposed nature. I use lots of Phil's grease on install. Maybe I could tray another brand?

6805 bearing, 6mm width. Vecchio's has some nice, stainless cart bearings. New bearing, pry off the seal, pump a bunch of grease in there, replace seal. Non SR cups too as SR have no inner seal.

summilux
07-18-2016, 10:11 AM
New bearing, pry off the seal, pump a bunch of grease in there, replace seal. Non SR cups too as SR have no inner seal.

I haven't taken the seal off before. just put the grease on top of it. I'll do this for next time.

Lou, I'm glad you've had good experiences with yours. I haven;t done clean and flush on any of my BBs.

mwynne
07-19-2016, 03:33 PM
*sigh* now I just need a new fancy groupset and some wheels to go with it!