PDA

View Full Version : Perma'Stank Helmet solution?

bianchi10
07-16-2016, 12:51 PM
I've got an Sworks prevail helmet that has seen its fair amount of sweaty rides. I wash and rise the helmet and lining once a month or so (Which is about 5-6 rides/mont with this one since I have a different color one also). I've brought it in the shower with me to rinse it out and let it dry, while using detergent on the liner. I will also scrub down the inside and outside of the helmet with soap, rinse and air dry.

I've now come to a point after 3 years of owning it, that it smells fresh after I get done washing it or head out the door, but once I build up some moisture, I can smell the slight odor coming off it.

Anyone have some suggestions for how to clean it better? Different detergents or cleaners? The helmet is perfectly sound and I'd hate to not use it just because of this.

cheers!

Cicli
07-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Maybe a little bleach?
Like a tablespoon per gallon and let it soak?

MaraudingWalrus
07-16-2016, 01:04 PM
doesn't help a this point, but I rinse my helmet off as soon as I get back to the house. Hose by the garage works. Sometimes while it's even still on my head. Have even hopped in the shower before with helmet on when I wanted to get back to the air conditioning as soon as possible.

Rinsing it off before the sweat has had a chance to dry off is a good move. Works well with gloves, too.

bianchi10
07-16-2016, 01:07 PM
doesn't help a this point, but I rinse my helmet off as soon as I get back to the house. Hose by the garage works. Sometimes while it's even still on my head. Have even hopped in the shower before with helmet on when I wanted to get back to the air conditioning as soon as possible.

Rinsing it off before the sweat has had a chance to dry off is a good move. Works well with gloves, too.

yeah that's what I do as well, but maybe because I dont do it after every ride it has that chance for the sweat/bacteria to build up.

wallymann
07-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Maybe a little bleach?
Like a tablespoon per gallon and let it soak?

#1 - second this approach: a long soak in a mild bleach and soap solution, followed by air-dry in bright sunlight.

#2 - wearing a skull-cap liner can help you more easily keep the noxious stuff from accumulating in the helmet, as you'll carry the worst of it with you when you take the helmet off. of course you'll need a few skull-caps in the rotation to keep a clean/fresh one handy for each ride.

#3 - this is a bandaid, but between disinfection soaks you may try a post-ride helmet spritz with lysol or some other not-aggressive disinfectant.

Dead Man
07-16-2016, 01:14 PM
Is the liner not replaceable? 3 years is a long time for anything that's regularly soaking up sweaty head slop.. We'd replace our Kevlar helmet liners about every 6 months, in the army.. And they aren't even padded/absorbent.

I pretty much never wear a helmet off the race course, but I know my cotton caps get stinky after the first climb of the day. It's always drying as its soaking up sweat, condensing that thick oily saltiness until it's so strong the odor of sour bum wafts to my nostrils every time I put my head down.

Point being.... Is there actually any way to avoid a "slight odor?" I smell like a rotting corpse by the end of most rides. Maybe that's not actually normal?

Exonerv
07-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Sport Wash...did my helmets yesterday:

batman1425
07-16-2016, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't use anything harsher than mild soap and water on the shell or foam, and would be weary about soaking it for long periods of time. Soft brush, wash and rinse.

For the liner, remove it and soak that all you want. The dilute bleach solution, or laundry detergent + some Oxy clean should do the trick to kill any remaining bacteria or fungi and remove the stank.

m_sasso
07-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Have not tried ether however maybe a small amount of baking soda in your washing water or possible a light dusting with baking soda when the helmet liner is dry?

BobC
07-16-2016, 03:32 PM
For my older helmets I would throw them in the top shelf of the dishwater (no heat dry).

It is 3 years old. It has done its job. Honestly it might be telling you it is time to replace it.

ajhapps
07-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Try putting the pads in the freezer? Might help de-stank them a bit.

cinema
07-16-2016, 03:46 PM
wear cap
:p

Dead Man
07-16-2016, 03:52 PM
I've recently come to realize the de-stink potential of alcohol. not only kills the bacteria that breeds the stink, but also is a pretty mild solvent to clean up the stink that's already there. And won't eat holes through your kit like other solvents

Don't know how that might work with padded, spongy absorbent type **** tho

Blown Reek
07-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Change your diet.

Peter P.
07-16-2016, 04:47 PM
I rinse my helmet in the shower after every sweaty ride.

When I buy a new helmet, I buy extra pads at the same time, because they may be hard to find a couple years down the road.

I've used shampoo; Head and Shoulders to be specific. A lot less harmful than many of the other chemicals suggested.

I had a friend who would soak his helmet in a bucket of water with some bleach in it. I don't know how much bleach, but he said it worked well.

oldpotatoe
07-16-2016, 04:55 PM
wear cap
:p

Only....;)

Throw in washer.

bianchi10
07-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. I have a couple things that I'll be trying fro the suggestions! I'll also look to see if I can get my hands on a replacement liner.

William
07-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Try a spray bottle of 50/50 Isopropyl alcohol and water. Spritz the inside of the helmet down and hang it up to dry after every ride. The water slows down the evaporation of the alcohol and allows it to soak in and do its job.

I've been doing this for years.

William

beeatnik
07-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Ride without a helmet (you used to like Rapha, que no?)

or

Get a new helmet

or

Buy some Lysol

or

Get a motorcycle

wildboar
07-16-2016, 06:38 PM
I've found soaking in white vinegar works for helmet pad stank.

Removal for Prevail:
https://vimeo.com/24660695

If you wear a cap under the helmet, be sure to wash the cap too.

charliedid
07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Ride without a helmet (you used to like Rapha, que no?)

or

Get a new helmet

or

Buy some Lysol

or

Get a motorcycle

All of this ^

CampyorBust
07-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Do you like patchouli?

peanutgallery
07-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Get a new lid, they are relatively cheap

saab2000
07-16-2016, 10:29 PM
I rinse my helmet in the shower after every sweaty ride.

When I buy a new helmet, I buy extra pads at the same time, because they may be hard to find a couple years down the road.

I've used shampoo; Head and Shoulders to be specific. A lot less harmful than many of the other chemicals suggested.

I had a friend who would soak his helmet in a bucket of water with some bleach in it. I don't know how much bleach, but he said it worked well.

This is exactly what I do too. No stink. Wash about every other ride, at least in summer. Gloves about every 3rd or 4th ride. I recently tossed a pair of Specialized gloves that were a decade old and not because of the stink but because some of the stitching was failing. Regular washing makes all the difference.

Hang dry everything. I machine dry nothing. Modern synthetics are unbelievable if treated properly.

pdmtong
07-16-2016, 10:48 PM
i wear a pace skull liner. rinse the lid with fresh water and hang it after every ride. no smell.

for yours, try soaking it in a mild detergent for a few hours.

Dead Man
07-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Fabrese? Deodorant? Alcohol bath?

How craY you wanna gitwidit

Black Dog
07-17-2016, 07:14 AM
This stuff (https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/mirazyme#36132) works, and works well.

https://i.mcnett.com/uploads/product/variant/image/54/xlarge_36132_GA_Mirazyme_comp.jpg

berserk87
07-17-2016, 08:03 AM
I will second the frequent rinsing. It's easier to keep up with a brief rinse after each ride than to battle permastank.

That won't help you now, but going forward, I recommend a quick rinse after each ride. I rinse mine in the sink, squish the excess water out of the pads with my fingers, shake off any more drops and let it dry.

Regular upkeep also seems to extend the life of the pads.

thwart
07-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Is the liner not replaceable? 3 years is a long time for anything that's regularly soaking up sweaty head slop.. We'd replace our Kevlar helmet liners about every 6 months, in the army.. And they aren't even padded/absorbent.

I pretty much never wear a helmet off the race course, but I know my cotton caps get stinky after the first climb of the day. It's always drying as its soaking up sweat, condensing that thick oily saltiness until it's so strong the odor of sour bum wafts to my nostrils every time I put my head down.

Point being.... Is there actually any way to avoid a "slight odor?" I smell like a rotting corpse by the end of most rides. Maybe that's not actually normal?
Glad to hear that your user name wasn't just trying to be cool. ;)

mmfs
07-17-2016, 09:45 AM
I've been successful using vinegar on similar applications in the past with other stanky outdoor gear. I just sprayed my helmet yesterday - seems like it killed the stank - hopefully it doesn't reactive next time I use it.

guido
07-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Run it through the dishwasher.

Joxster
07-17-2016, 10:22 AM
New helmet every two years, the UVA/UVF affects the structure (it's the same with motorbike helmets) I fill a bucket/bowl with hot water and use bottle sterilizing tablets and hang the straps in it and then let dry naturally.

berserk87
07-17-2016, 06:50 PM
New helmet every two years, the UVA/UVF affects the structure (it's the same with motorbike helmets) I fill a bucket/bowl with hot water and use bottle sterilizing tablets and hang the straps in it and then let dry naturally.

That has actually been challenged by a recent study via the UK. If I can find the link I will post it. Crash testers found no difference in helmet integrity between old helmets and new ones in the study.

I always believed that UV rays and age were bad for a helmet. I am not sure what to believe now. But inevitably something breaks on them, or I just get bored with them, so I rotate them out anyway.