PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Compact Bike Box Options

UKBROOKLYN
07-15-2016, 02:35 PM
So heres the thing, Jet Blue say they will fly bikes for free.. Yipee..
Wait here's the catch. The bike box can be no more than 80 inches H x W x D.

Your usual Thule - Trico - Serface - Bike Box Alan etc are all over 80 inches.

These boxes are all designed to carry the bike with fork attached.

I have been tearing my hair out trying to see if I can find a more compact case for carrying my bike with fork removed to enable free travel.

Anybody got any ideas.. I know about Airport Ninja but thats still a soft case.
Looking for a compact Hard Case.

And please no comments about S&S and Breakaway frames.. I am fully conversant with that option but it's not open to me at this time.

thegunner
07-15-2016, 02:43 PM
So heres the thing, Jet Blue say they will fly bikes for free.. Yipee..
Wait here's the catch. The bike box can be no more than 80 inches H x W x D.

Your usual Thule - Trico - Serface - Bike Box Alan etc are all over 80 inches.

These boxes are all designed to carry the bike with fork attached.

I have been tearing my hair out trying to see if I can find a more compact case for carrying my bike with fork removed to enable free travel.

Anybody got any ideas.. I know about Airport Ninja but thats still a soft case.
Looking for a compact Hard Case.

And please no comments about S&S and Breakaway frames.. I am fully conversant with that option but it's not open to me at this time.

you can support the local pro: http://www.gavilanbff.com/

UKBROOKLYN
07-15-2016, 02:47 PM
"Looking for a compact Hard Case."

cmbicycles
07-15-2016, 03:03 PM
I just shipped a frame box (cardboard) that measured 38x29x9... with room for a fork, no bars/wheels/etc. I'm thinking Jet Blue doesn't expect to have to take many bikes for free based on those dimension limitations.

UKBROOKLYN
07-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah I had a back and forth with them. I wrote asking which bike cases they can recommend that are under 80 inches and they sent me back info for wheel only cases. So I wrote back explaining that it's pretty hard to ride without a frame. Also asked how much if I bring a bike box which is over 80 inches. Their answer, they won't carry anything over 80 inches. So its a completely false promise on their end.

Nevertheless i am still looking for a compact hard case. That I can fit my frame into with fork removed. Even thinking about making one myself.

Satellite
07-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Yeah I had a back and forth with them. I wrote asking which bike cases they can recommend that are under 80 inches and they sent me back info for wheel only cases. So I wrote back explaining that it's pretty hard to ride without a frame. Also asked how much if I bring a bike box which is over 80 inches. Their answer, they won't carry anything over 80 inches. So its a completely false promise on their end.

Nevertheless i am still looking for a compact hard case. That I can fit my frame into with fork removed. Even thinking about making one myself.

I vaguely recall some talk during an S&S thread something about a Chicken or Rooster House case for transporting NON coupled frames for free on the airlines. I don't have time to research it right now. Try looking it up.

edit:

Okay I took 30 seconds to look it up http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=184804&highlight=hen+house

http://rustersports.com/product/hen-house/

Oops forgot this was a softcase NeverMind. Good luck on your quest to find a hard case.

UKBROOKLYN
07-15-2016, 06:12 PM
I am aware of the Henhouse BAGS.. again NOT a hard case.. in fact 2 soft cases which then starts to cost more as you now have an extra piece of baggage..

I am looking for a compact Hard Case.

thegunner
07-15-2016, 06:21 PM
I am aware of the Henhouse BAGS.. again NOT a hard case.. in fact 2 soft cases which then starts to cost more as you now have an extra piece of baggage..

I am looking for a compact Hard Case.

just out of curiosity, any reason why you're averse to a soft case? i've used both the gavilan and the pika and both have been great.

UKBROOKLYN
07-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Soft cases by nature a less secure than hard cases..

donevwil
07-15-2016, 06:49 PM
just out of curiosity, any reason why you're averse to a soft case? i've used both the gavilan and the pika and both have been great.

I don't know if all airlines share this policy, but recently United/airport baggage handlers/whomever buckled a seatstay on my brother's bike as he returned home from a visit. When he attempted to make a claim United presented the fine print (which was indeed on their website baggage page)stating they only accept liability for bicycles in hard cases. He'd used a soft case.

Likes2ridefar
07-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Soft cases by nature a less secure than hard cases..

Perhaps but having flown all over the world a bunch of times with both, a soft case served me quite fine with no damage ever occuring to ultralight carbon race bikes. Noone on my international team used a hard case mostly due to their weight and none had issues. Some even had essentially a nylon bag holding a nicely packed bike.

foo_fighter
07-16-2016, 03:28 PM
I doubt you will be able to find such a case and if you did it would most likely only fit smaller bikes which is probably why manufacturers wouldn't want to make one.
You might be able to find a custom fabricator to create one for you.
Maybe contact these guys to see if they can customize one for you:
http://www.roadcasesusa.com/road-bike-travel-cases-telescoping-lid-small/
Or get some 650b wheels.

Cutting down a cardboard box and then reinforcing it with corrugated plastic sheeting or thin plywood is another way to go.

I've only flown with a soft S and S case, but I've read that baggage handlers tend to treat hard cases rougher. There are people that swear by just tossing the bike in a plastic bag:
http://travellingtwo.com/resources/flying-with-a-bicycle-in-a-plastic-ctc-bag

weisan
07-16-2016, 03:43 PM
UK pal, let me do it for you.

"I am looking for a compact hard case."

:D

foo_fighter
07-16-2016, 04:00 PM
If you're referring to my post...It was for a "hard case" and they do make custom cases(I guess I edited it after you replied):
http://www.roadcasesusa.com/custom-cases/

UK pal, let me do it for you.

"I am looking for a compact hard case."

:D

weisan
07-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Thank you foo pal.

I was just making fun of UK pal. He has a consistent method of communication.

UKBROOKLYN
07-16-2016, 05:04 PM
I was thinking it would be easier to get a used Trico and cut it down.

It could be pretty easily shortened by overlapping 5 inches at the cut..

Measuring my bike I only need a case that is 39 x 27 on the inside..