PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a rando frameset

icepick_trotsky
07-15-2016, 09:20 AM
These threads are always fun, right?

Poking around at the idea of upgrading my commuter bike to be a little zippier for rando/century ride use, in addition to everyday riding. Right now I'm on a Handsome Devil. It's fine, but heavy and a little dead on its feet. It's also a hair too long in the top tube for me, which starts to become noticeable after 20 miles.

What I'm looking for:

--Steel
--Light, zippy tubing and sporty geometry (i.e. not a touring bike)
--A level top tube
--Clearance for at least 28s and full fenders
--Preferably cantilever bosses, but calipers would be ok. Braze on center pulls would be especially cool. No discs.
--Rack eyelets for a rear rack and some kind of rando rack
--Downtube shifter bosses

Whatcha think? I like the look of the canti-equipped VO Pass Hunter, but I'm not sure about the mystery tubing, and if it would be that much lighter than what I'm on now. Anybody have one? What else is out there?

gdw
07-15-2016, 09:28 AM
How much have you budgeted for the frame?

icepick_trotsky
07-15-2016, 09:31 AM
In early planning phases, but probably $500-$600. Used is cool. Vintage is even cooler if if checks all the right boxes.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Poking around at the idea of upgrading my commuter bike to be a little zippier for rando/century ride use, in addition to everyday riding. Right now I'm on a Handsome Devil. It's fine, but heavy and a little dead on its feet. It's also a hair too long in the top tube for me, which starts to become noticeable after 20 miles.

What I'm looking for:

--Steel
--A level top tube
--Preferably cantilever bosses, but calipers would be ok. Braze on center pulls would be especially cool. No discs.

Whatcha think? I like the look of the canti-equipped VO Pass Hunter, but I'm not sure about the mystery tubing, and if it would be that much lighter than what I'm on now. Anybody have one? What else is out there?

www.gunnarbikes.com

guido
07-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Soma Double Cross ticks those boxes... I like mine a lot... ES would do the same in a medium reach variant...

jtbadge
07-15-2016, 09:53 AM
Soma Double Cross ticks those boxes... I like mine a lot... ES would do the same in a medium reach variant...

Yeah, or the San Marcos. Those look pretty rad.

http://www.somafab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sanmarcos_54cm_tiburonblue2015_1100.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
07-15-2016, 09:59 AM
I built up a Pass Hunter canti for a friend. Not very light. Good clearance for 32s and fenders. No reason to run 28s on that frame. OP's has a good point. Look for a Gunnar Sport.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/4/3800/14306816453_08ac8413b0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nNfb6c)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/nNfb6c) by ColonelJLloyd (https://www.flickr.com/photos/51002114@N03/), on Flickr

ripvanrando
07-15-2016, 11:29 AM

What I'm looking for:

--Steel
--A level top tube

Buy a shorter stem and spend the $500-600 on wheels for the devil.

Are the new frames mentioned even as good as what you have?

Why not a used carbon CX frame? Like a trek ultimate.

adamhell
07-15-2016, 11:34 AM
soma grand randonneur is sick. plenty of tire clearance, plenty of braze ons, low trail geometry, rides nicely. probably not the nicest tubeset re. planing or whatever, but still very nice.

I still have these cranks if you want them :)
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/9FF0A293-AABE-4303-A08D-C790E461D9F2_zps3n5yyhzo.jpg

guido
07-15-2016, 11:47 AM
I used to own a SanMarcos in 59cm. One of the twin top tube models. It was a dreamy looking bike for sure but it was not zippy. And the top tube slopes, so it didn't meet the OP's criteria. The ES or Double Cross have more tire clearance too...

I also have a GR and I have to say the DC is definitely zippier and climbs better than the GR.

Hilltopperny
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Serotta Colorado rapid tour from the mid to late nineties. I had one that was a touch too big for me and bought one for the fiancé. It's a great bike for the purposes you are looking for and has the braze on and tire clearance necessary while still using relatively light tubing. Only problem is they don't seem to go up for sale very often and even harder to find in the necessary size. If I could find a 54cm I'd probably buy it!

miguel
07-15-2016, 12:37 PM
hi
i ride brevets and such - first year of #boregonpukeback and the 2015 edition of PBP. i have a pair of custom rando frames from e.estlund/winter bikes but i have been known to ride other bikes as well - a '89 paramount, serotta csi, ahearne cross, etc etc.

if i were to start all over again i would go with 650bs. sure, a boxy handlebar bag is on-trend but a small framebag (of the jandd variety) will carry gloves/warmers/a couple snacks. if you are riding on a RUSA/ACP brevet there is a high likelihood that your route writer/RBA has put water and/or food stops less than 100km apart. at least in PNW clubs it is clearly mentioned when you need to be carrying extra water or food. some say you shouldnt need to eat on a <100km ride, that's up to you, and if you're riding 100km you don't need to pack thanksgiving dinner.

what im getting at is
ride any bike that fits and is comfortable.
more weight will slow you down.
save your pennies for a custom fop wagon.
get 650bs and some frame bags.

miguel
07-15-2016, 12:51 PM
a nerd more nerdy than me once said "regular bikes work great as rando bikes!" with reference to any modern bike you can buy from a bike shop.

fiamme red
07-15-2016, 12:53 PM
I think the OP wants a randonneur-style bike for commuting, not a bike to ride brevets on.

MerckxMad
07-15-2016, 12:55 PM
It might be helpful to start your search from the ground up, meaning what size wheels? 700c or 650B? Depending on your intended rides, surfaces, etc., you might want to start off thinking a bit wider than 28s. Picking wheel size/tire size might point you more directly to the randonnuese your looking for.

ColonelJLloyd
07-15-2016, 01:21 PM
55cm Vaya (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-Vaya-55cm-/272298514746?hash=item3f6641993a:g:Q2MAAOSww9VXh6D 9). 56cm Vaya. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salsa-Vaya-upside-brown-great-gently-used-bike-2010-/182203731058?hash=item2a6c304c72:g:4c0AAOSwyKxXhTi l) Discs, but 650b or 700c. All the braze ons you would need.

55cm Mr. Pink (http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-City-Mr-Pink-55-CM-Frameset-/262512424680?hash=item3d1ef5b6e8:g:negAAOSwXeJXfIw D). Pretty much what you're looking for, but you're maxed at 28mm with fenders, I believe. Just depends on your riding style and terrain.

icepick_trotsky
07-15-2016, 01:28 PM
The Rapid Tour is a great suggestion. Exactly what I need, but I hadn't thought of it. Need to keep my eyes peeled for one.

Also thinking about a used Indy Fab Club Racer. Pretty snappy looking bike, but did they ever come with downtube braze ons rather than the barrel adjuster guides?

JAGI410
07-15-2016, 02:47 PM
All City Space Horse

paredown
07-15-2016, 04:02 PM
If you wanted to go retro, someone on the Classic Rendezvous site outed this completely funky Jack Taylor on the Seattle CL--$475

650b, aero cable routing and all...

powder coat and rebuild with some modern gear...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/5655269440.html

07-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Have you looked at the Black Mountain Cycles road and 'cross framesets?

The road frame has DT shifter bosses and the 'cross has rack mounts. Both framesets will fit full mud guards and a nice amount of BB drop and HT length for those longer rides.

icepick_trotsky
07-15-2016, 05:42 PM
That jack Taylor is very cool and close to my size, but why in god's name would you powder coat a JT like that? Those were handpainted and box lined by Jack himself. I don't care how tired the paint was.

gomango
07-15-2016, 05:58 PM
Have you looked at the Black Mountain Cycles road and 'cross framesets?

The road frame has DT shifter bosses and the 'cross has rack mounts. Both framesets will fit full mud guards and a nice amount of BB drop and HT length for those longer rides.

I looked and bought.

I have some fancy bikes around here, but my Monstercross with Soma Vitesse SLs (700x38) is the one I grab all the time for longer rides.

I have Revelates on it, so I didn't bother with racks.

jr59
07-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Nm

sparky33
07-15-2016, 07:25 PM
Post a WTB in classifieds with your wish list and sizing. Something nice could fall into your lap...

steamer
07-15-2016, 08:14 PM
I think the OP wants a randonneur-style bike for commuting, not a bike to ride brevets on.

The second sentence of the first post said it was for rando use.

steamer
07-15-2016, 08:15 PM
a nerd more nerdy than me once said "regular bikes work great as rando bikes!" with reference to any modern bike you can buy from a bike shop.

This. The OP should get a new bike if he wants one but it's not really necessary if he wants to do randonneuring.

dbh
07-15-2016, 08:56 PM
Don't know what your budget is, but I can't recommend an Ebisu all arounder enough. Here's mine, which sees 75% of its miles as a commuter and the rest for century type rides. I found the frame/fork on ebay for an affordable price.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7404/27437243851_efed31229d_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/HNx3Gt)

ripvanrando
07-16-2016, 12:47 AM
This. The OP should get a new bike if he wants one but it's not really necessary if he wants to do randonneuring.

+1

Nearly all fast randonneurs or distance cyclists ride fairly normal road racing bikes and 25 mm tires. No fenders. No racks. No low trail.

The specs posited by the OP might make for a comfy bike but not a fast one.

On the othe hand Brevets and grand Randonnees are done on all manner of machine. The OP wanted something faster. None of the bikes being discussed are faster.

icepick_trotsky
07-16-2016, 06:01 AM
To clarify, I have a racing bike, two of them, on which I can do longer rides and brevet type stuff.

I need a pannier capable bike for work, but I'd also like to ramble on it and enjoy the ride as well.

Pretty sold on staying with 700c at this point.

stien
07-16-2016, 06:22 AM
Trek Emonda ALR fits 30s, fast geometry but ultra comfortable. I have a rack on mine that takes panniers. It's a Bontrager rack that uses the rear brake bridge and rear skewer. Super versatile bike, but not vintage sexy.

blakcloud
07-16-2016, 06:39 AM
That jack Taylor is very cool and close to my size, but why in god's name would you powder coat a JT like that? Those were handpainted and box lined by Jack himself. I don't care how tired the paint was.That bike belongs to a fellow Paceliner in Seattle.

paredown
07-16-2016, 02:36 PM
That jack Taylor is very cool and close to my size, but why in god's name would you powder coat a JT like that? Those were handpainted and box lined by Jack himself. I don't care how tired the paint was.

Well, I thought that paint was a little ugly & might not be to other people's taste.

Me, I'd ride it as is...

ik2280
07-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Well, I thought that paint was a little ugly & might not be to other people's taste.

Me, I'd ride it as is...

I'm with you - I gave the seller a call yesterday, waiting for a few more photos... Lots of character for little cash.