PDA

View Full Version : taiwanese disc road/rando/gravel frames: am I missing anything?

Mikeys
07-14-2016, 10:31 PM
I'm on the search for a new frame that I can ride on the fireroads and light duty trails near where I live. It will also double as a commuter. 40mm+ tire clearance and disc brakes are a must. Front rack mounts are a big bonus. In the past I've used cross frames and they do just fine. However, I end up selling them because I either didn't like the high bottom bracket/race geo, wanted discs over canti's, or wanted front rack mounts. An Elephant NFE would be ideal if it were more affordable (I know it's affordable for MIUSA), had a shorter wait time, and had more sizes. I've considered the following, but I'm wondering what other <$700 options I might be missing...

Specialized AWOL (hard to support specialized)
Specialized Sequoia (might be willing to support specialized but it's still at least a month or two out)
Velo Orange Piolet (more tire clearance/weight than I need)
older Rawlands (hard to find)
Soma Wolverine (always sold out)
Twin Six (not appealing)
Surly Straggler (not appealing)
Soma Double Cross (not appealing)

Yeah I should just go custom, but the wait time and price are not attractive to me right now.

JAGI410
07-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Trek 920?

Mikeys
07-14-2016, 11:40 PM
really only after steel. also I have all the parts so I'm just looking for framesets

R3awak3n
07-14-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm on the search for a new frame that I can ride the on the fireroads and light duty trails near where I live. 40mm+ tire clearance and disc brakes are a must. Front rack mounts are a big bonus. In the past I've used cross frames and they do just fine. However, I end up selling them because I either didn't like the high bottom bracket/race geo, wanted discs over canti's, or wanted front rack mounts. An Elephant NFE would be ideal if it were more affordable (I know it's affordable for MIUSA), had a shorter wait time, and had more sizes. I've considered the following, but I'm wondering what other <$700 options I might be missing...

Specialized AWOL (hard to support specialized)
Specialized Sequoia (might be willing to support specialized but it's still at least a month or two out)
Velo Orange Piolet (more tire clearance/weight than I need)
older Rawlands (hard to find)
Soma Wolverine (always sold out)
Twin Six (not appealing)
Surly Straggler (not appealing)
Soma Double Cross (not appealing)

Yeah I should just go custom, but the wait time and price are not attractive to me right now.

you should add to the list Endpoint coffee grinder. Its not taiwan cheap but for MIUSA its a great deal. Not custom and there is some wait but I messaged them and they said 6 weeks which is not bad. Its a pretty cool bike.

I was searching for exactly what you are but in 650b, ended up find a elephant that I am picking up after tomorrow but it was not cheap (relative of course). I have always wanted one but the wait time is long enough that I would get a custom instead.

jtakeda
07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Lemond Poprad disc?

The bottom bracket drop is 74mm I believe.

KidWok
07-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Soma has that new Fog cutter coming out.

Tai

Mikeys
07-15-2016, 12:35 AM
the endpoint is actually very tempting. I looked into it though and it seems to fit wider than 35mm you need to run 650b (which I want to do anyways) but you're still limited to a 42-48mm slick.

poprads would be a possibility if the head tubes weren't so short

bmeryman
07-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Jamis Renegade?

blakcloud
07-15-2016, 06:10 AM
Diamondback’s 27.5 Haanjo EXP Carbon Touring Bike might work.

ColonelJLloyd
07-15-2016, 08:49 AM
http://advocatecycles.com/product/lorax/, but it's $1,000

sjbraun
07-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Their "Monstercross" frameset will hit your marks, with the exception of disc brakes. Mine stops well with cantis.

josephr
07-15-2016, 09:21 AM
surprised no one has mentioned the Black Mtn Cycles monstercross frame yet....probably be worth the wait for it or the Soma Wolverine the.Kona may have some options for you as well. good luck, post pics whatever it is!

jtbadge
07-15-2016, 09:25 AM
If you have to have discs, the Wolverine and Twin Six Standard Rando seem like the way to go. Kona Rove/Sutra LTD are definitely a solid option, as well.

http://konaworld.com/images/bikes/main/sutra_ltd.jpg

I have been really happy with my All-City Space Horse, with V-brakes. Very similar to the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross.

It also appears that All-City is about to drop a 650B disc Space Horse.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13627200_10154324390573874_2485251601904677102_n.j pg?oh=921d5b6cfe6cc65f4f956ed4e88ab392&oe=58362B41

R3awak3n
07-15-2016, 10:05 AM
the endpoint is actually very tempting. I looked into it though and it seems to fit wider than 35mm you need to run 650b (which I want to do anyways) but you're still limited to a 42-48mm slick.

poprads would be a possibility if the head tubes weren't so short

Last time I messaged he said there was plenty of clearance for something bigger than a 42 slick, he did not confirm but said he was pretty sure a switchback hill was possible. I think it has similar clearance as an elephant nfe so thunderburt should also work

rnhood
07-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Trek 920?

Or the 720. Both less than $2k, both virtually perfect for you requirements.

fourflys
07-15-2016, 10:48 AM
yep, Black Mountain Monstercross as mentioned above... I know you can get disc tabs on the custom BMC, but not sure on Mike's plans for the production frame... might be worth an email...

etu
07-15-2016, 11:20 AM
since you're in LA, i'd assume you want disc more for stopping power than wet weather in which case you might want to consider paul mini motos. they stop better than road disc brakes for me. would open up black mtn frames as an option.

Mikeys
07-15-2016, 11:20 AM
I've already had a bmc frame. As I mentioned, I'm looking for disc frame options.

adamhell
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
I've already had a bmc frame. As I mentioned, I'm looking for disc frame options.

you should 650b an all city macho man disc with those WTB horizons. i've seen it done but can't find the picture right now.

JAGI410
07-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Trek 520 comes in disc frameset option as well. Steel, lots of braze ons, $599-ish

fourflys
07-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Salsa has a few choices... the Vaya is a nice option and they're popping up used a bit now...

might be overkill, but the new Marrakesh looks interesting...
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrakesh
http://salsacycles.com/files/bikes/_large_image/MARRAKESH_Drop_bar_Deore_black_Carousel_1.jpg

PeregrineA1
07-15-2016, 12:46 PM
RE: Lemond Poprad Disc, I had clearance issues at the FD with 38 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder's.

A stack of spacers (ugh!) solved the head tube issue.

Rides great.

Mikeys
07-15-2016, 01:13 PM
a lot of these recommendations are just touring bikes. not what i'm looking for. thanks though

jruhlen1980
07-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Kona Rove or Sutra (basically same thing afaict, just the Sutra has a beefier fork).

I had a similar dilemma this past spring, found myself needing to replace my frame in a hurry & on a budget. Almost pulled the trigger on a Rove but found a used bike at the last minute.

Another option that came up was the Fyxation Quiver, but I wasn't able to find a soul who had ridden one online or offline, and I think the RD hanger is some sort of "screws into the QR" deal.

Edited to add: the Kona frames have replaceable RD hangers, which is hard to find on a steel bike (and also the reason I had to replace my other frame in a hurry.)

MadRocketSci
07-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Salsa Vaya? I have a Lynskey made Ti one and I run 42's on it...

It's called an anyroad/gravel/light touring bike....i suppose you could tour on it but i ride it up and down roads mostly, unloaded, for the extra workout it gives while climbing. The steering's not truck-like to me.

Not sure if Salsa sells frame only anymore? They would probably do it if you ask nicely. 4 years ago I think the Salsa steel frames/fork cost $599.

mecse
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm on the search for a new frame that I can ride on the fireroads and light duty trails near where I live. It will also double as a commuter. 40mm+ tire clearance and disc brakes are a must. Front rack mounts are a big bonus. In the past I've used cross frames and they do just fine. However, I end up selling them because I either didn't like the high bottom bracket/race geo, wanted discs over canti's, or wanted front rack mounts. An Elephant NFE would be ideal if it were more affordable

The Elephant NFE is totally awesome, and I don't know what size you are, but i'm 6' and the 56 (medium) fits well (albeit with spacers galore). It's $600 more than one of the others...

Mikeys
07-15-2016, 02:31 PM
The NFE is exactly what I want and I would spend the extra money. However, I'm in between sizes so I can't justify the price if it's not going to fit well

R3awak3n
07-15-2016, 03:42 PM
what size are you?

I am also btw sizes, like to ride a 57 but have a 56 and a 58. A medium came about and I pulled the trigger. Lets hope I can make it work. At my height (almost 6'1) a 58 would technically be better but I do like smaller bikes so we will see if I can make it work.

and you are absolutely right, most of the frames here are touring frames/different than the elephant. I would say the elephant is btw a light rando frame and a touring frame, should be nice without too many compromises.

You could also check out the crust rommanceur. I waiting for it and I like it but a few things put me off namely I wanted something with low rider mounts and I am not a fan of the look of the fork. Not cheap either but really high quality tubbing.

also, a lot of people looking for exactly what you want, which I think is missing from the market (at a mass produced level). Its funny to me that there is money to be made but no one is jumping on it. You also have rawland, that could work too but who knows when they will come out and the whole complete bike only thing is a bit of a mess.

sf_rinaldi
07-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Did you look at
- Salsa bikes? http://salsacycles.com/bikes
- Norco bikes? Norco Search
GT Grade can fit a 35mm tire also

charliedid
07-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Kona Rove or Sutra (basically same thing afaict, just the Sutra has a beefier fork).

I had a similar dilemma this past spring, found myself needing to replace my frame in a hurry & on a budget. Almost pulled the trigger on a Rove but found a used bike at the last minute.

Another option that came up was the Fyxation Quiver, but I wasn't able to find a soul who had ridden one online or offline, and I think the RD hanger is some sort of "screws into the QR" deal.

Edited to add: the Kona frames have replaceable RD hangers, which is hard to find on a steel bike (and also the reason I had to replace my other frame in a hurry.)

Sutra and Rove are not at all the same bike. The Rove is much more all-road vs the Sutra being a touring bike. Geo is different as is the tubeset. Rove is more stretched out and higher BB with a lighter set of tubes. Much more fun to ride as an allrounder than the Sutra. The Rove (steel) is an amazing bike for $1600.00

PS The 2017 Kona's are released this coming Monday and the Sutra Ltd. is going to be a killer bike if you really want to run fat tires.

Likes2ridefar
07-16-2016, 04:33 AM
I recently got a niner RLT on sale for under your budget however retail is above $700. mine is the aluminum version but they make a steel one too.

loving it. one of the best bikes I've had. It looks like a cross bike but is more relaxed with a longer wheel base so handles better on single track than any cross bike I've been on.