PDA

View Full Version : Examples of good shared use bikeways

rab
07-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Looking for some good examples of bikeways, paths etc. which are built for shared use--runners, walkers, cyclists, roller bladers, roller skaters...etc.

The twist is I am interested in those which have been built or successfully allow for cyclists to ride at faster speeds up to a 25-35 mph range.
How is this done safely - barriers, markers, signage, specific lanes, width of lanes, combos of all of these? Key elements that might make something like this work or fail?
Not concerned about motor vehicles in this case.

Couple examples I have been looking at include the Monterey County Fort Ord Bike "Freeway" and Central Park NYC shared roadways.

Would be greatly appreciative of any help anyone might be able to provide with this, thanks in advance!

54ny77
07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Pinellas Trail in FL.

Awesome system.

edit: woops, i thought you meant 25-35 miles, not mph. who the heck rides 35mph on a trail? central park at 35mph? hah, that's a good one.....unless you're there at 4:30 a.m. and the cops don't ticket you for speeding or running red lights, and assuming it's not a race.

makoti
07-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Looking for some good examples of bikeways, paths etc. which are built for shared use--runners, walkers, cyclists, roller bladers, roller skaters...etc.

The twist is I am interested in those which have been built or successfully allow for cyclists to ride at faster speeds up to a 25-35 mph range.
How is this done safely - barriers, markers, signage, specific lanes, width of lanes, combos of all of these? Key elements that might make something like this work or fail?

On a multi-use trail?? Got nothing around DC for ya. The W&OD is a nice trail, but the speed limit is 15mph.

rab
07-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Yes, I believe Central Park has a 25mph limit. In this case 25mph would probably a more typical upper end average, 30-35mph being very brief periods. Almost didn't even push it that far but figured throw out the idea and see what comes back...

I'm thinking something more than your average bike path, something that wouldn't discourage cyclist who want to ride in faster groups from using it, yet would allow for this to be done safely with other users. Yeah, may be asking a bit much, but interested in hearing ideas on this.

Dead Man
07-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Springwater trail in Portland

Although it's apparently very recently been given the title "largest homesless camp in America" and my bros don't even want to ride it this Sunday

Louis
07-14-2016, 08:09 PM
I you're going to ride a bicycle in the 25-35 mph range I'd say you should be out riding on roads. MUT users around here freak out if you pass them at 15 mph, I hate to think what they'd do if a cyclist went by at more than twice that speed. I can't imagine that working safely in a "shared lane" system.

Dogs on leashes, little kids running around, folks on cell phones talking or texting, parents pushing prams, the list of accidents waiting to happen goes on and on. Jack up the speed and things only get worse.

rab
07-14-2016, 11:01 PM
Springwater trail in Portland

Although it's apparently very recently been given the title "largest homesless camp in America" and my bros don't even want to ride it this Sunday

Interesting. Just read an article calling this the "Avenue of Terror"!

That is definitely a different type of multi-user conflict.
Shame too, looks like a really nice system.

rab
07-14-2016, 11:13 PM
I you're going to ride a bicycle in the 25-35 mph range I'd say you should be out riding on roads. MUT users around here freak out if you pass them at 15 mph, I hate to think what they'd do if a cyclist went by at more than twice that speed. I can't imagine that working safely in a "shared lane" system.

Dogs on leashes, little kids running around, folks on cell phones talking or texting, parents pushing prams, the list of accidents waiting to happen goes on and on. Jack up the speed and things only get worse.

I agree, high speeds up the stakes, have seen the negative outcomes firsthand. But that said, I've seen some trail systems that allow for pretty fast cycling and pedestrian use as well. Silver Comet in Atlanta seems to do a fair job managing a variety of users. I think part of it is design and part is a mutual understanding by and respect for the different users.

A couple thoughts that have been brought forth on how you have a multi-use system that allows for higher bike speeds include allowing for wide enough lanes so they can be segregated for exclusive use. paint off a foot lane, a buffer lane and a bike lane.
Another idea is to impose physical barriers between cycling and foot paths.

Thanks for the thoughts, truly appreciated!

Geeheeb
07-14-2016, 11:28 PM
25-35 mph in the age of Pokemon Go?

paredown
07-15-2016, 06:33 AM
West Side cycle path, NYC

*ducks*
:banana:

verticaldoug
07-15-2016, 06:51 AM

Couple examples I have been looking at include the Monterey County Fort Ord Bike "Freeway" and Central Park NYC shared roadways.

Would be greatly appreciative of any help anyone might be able to provide with this, thanks in advance!

I don't think it is a design issue as much as a volume issue. You can go very fast on any of the rail trails in NYS as long as no one else is on them. But as soon as you encounter walkers, dogs, skaters, kids, you have to slow down. You just cannot go whizzing by a walker at 25-30 mph with a. scaring the beegezus out of them, b. eventually end up in a disaster.

Central Park had a cyclist-walker fatality. So probably not a model.

AJM100
07-15-2016, 06:55 AM
Luv the 3 abreast stroller moms taking up both lanes on a path, having a nice chit chat and not paying attention to anything. :crap:

Just too many people concentrated in city areas IMHO.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2016, 07:02 AM
http://36commutingsolutions.org/us-36-projects/u-s-36-bikeway

Sierra
07-15-2016, 07:19 AM
The Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail (AKA the American River Trail) that runs, generally, between Folsom Lake and Sacramento. It is an absolute jewel. And, if you ride it during the week you can have the entire expanse of the trail pretty much to yourself (weekends are busy). Not only is it a very scenic trail, but even on the hottest days you are never far from water. The trail proper is 32 miles; but it connects to a very robust series of ancillary trails that you could ride all day long if you wished and never have to contend with a vehicle.

Gummee
07-15-2016, 07:45 AM
On a multi-use trail?? Got nothing around DC for ya. The W&OD is a nice trail, but the speed limit is 15mph.

...and that speed limit is constantly exceeded.

Even if you're doing the speed limit, it makes for somewhat unsafe conditions as peds seem to turn off their brains on the WOD. After all... it's 'safe' cause there's no cars.

Can't tell you how many times I've had a jogger do a u-turn in front of me without so much as a glance over their shoulder.

M

Hilltopperny
07-15-2016, 08:08 AM
The nys canalway trail from Buffalo to Albany. I ride this pretty much everyday with the fiance and my daughter. I don't believe there is a speed limit on most of this trail and it is not over run by folks most of the time. I can really only account for the trail from Amsterdam NY to Herkimer as those are really the only sections I travel, but I rarely run into any kind of congestion and they are going to pave a huge section of mixed terrain by the end of the summer. That should make it a little faster for those that want to ride skinny tires.

topflightpro
07-15-2016, 08:09 AM
OP, I think what you really are interested in are Separated Bike Ways. These are generally two-way bike ways along city streets that have a physical separation from motor vehicle traffic. Those separations can be a small curb, bollards or a large wall.

They also are sometimes called Cycletracks. There aren't a lot of them in the US yet, but there is a growing number of them being installed.

Most multi-use or shared-use paths have a 15mph speed limit.

Jgrooms
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Shared use - paved - at 25 plus? Recipe for disaster. And the other users, I'm sure they love ya.

Now there are some good rail to trail options, but they aren't paved. But the walkers, for the most part, understand its a bike trail first.

Not the case w most urban 'multi use' trails. The walkers expect cyclist to go ride on the road.

example of excellent rail to trail & in the winter there won't be hardly a 'hardy' walker on it!

https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiamme red
07-15-2016, 09:18 AM
The segregated bike lanes in Manhattan are not a good example.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3907/4304/original.jpg

Birddog
07-15-2016, 09:39 AM
I think your parameters are nearly mutually exclusive given the speeds you are talking about. I've ridden a MUT that was divided by a painted line but the walkers still think they are strolling the State fair midway and often ignore the divider. Dogs on leashes don't get the idea of the dividers either. I think the only answer would be to physically divide the paved pathways like a divided highway.

verticaldoug
07-15-2016, 09:50 AM
OP, I think what you really are interested in are Separated Bike Ways. These are generally two-way bike ways along city streets that have a physical separation from motor vehicle traffic. Those separations can be a small curb, bollards or a large wall.

They also are sometimes called Cycletracks. There aren't a lot of them in the US yet, but there is a growing number of them being installed.

Most multi-use or shared-use paths have a 15mph speed limit.

The east-west cycle superhighway (CS3) in London has a stretch along the embankment which is segregated and fast. The city decided to put speed humps in at various places to slow cyclists. Plus you get the occasional tourist who just walks off the kerb looking at their smartphone. (since it is near the water, lots of Pokemon) which makes the situation worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-x93mpi8k

mg2ride
07-15-2016, 09:56 AM
... shared use--runners, walkers, cyclists, roller bladers, roller skaters...etc.

...cyclists to ride at faster speeds up to a 25-35 mph range....

Really!?

Is the desire to just go fast or is the desire to get a hard work out?

I have never understood why cyclist that want a harder workout are always looking for a bike that makes it easier to go fast.

If you want a hard workout. Use a bike that slows you down. Build yourself a 50 lb, old school full suspension bike that will bobble unless you are super smooth with the pedaling. Put mud specific knobbies on it and one them at the absolute lowest pressure you can.

F! Pull a small runners parachute or adjust your brakes to drag you down.

Doing 20+ on any shared path is stupid and irresponsible.

torquer
07-15-2016, 12:06 PM
If you want a hard workout. Use a bike that slows you down. Build yourself a 50 lb, old school full suspension bike that will bobble unless you are super smooth with the pedaling. Put mud specific knobbies on it and one them at the absolute lowest pressure you can.
That's always been my plan, but somehow that always becomes bike number N+2.;)
In the meantime, I can't spin up my fixed-gear much over 20 mph without scaring myself, so I guess that's good enough for this pathlete.

CampyorBust
07-15-2016, 12:23 PM
The Minuteman Rail trail in Mass is a good example, it is shared by both cyclists and tree roots.

fuzzalow
07-15-2016, 12:42 PM
25mph? Yer barkin' up the wrong MUP.

Man enough to spin 25mph makes anyone man enough for being out there on the roadway.

cderalow
07-15-2016, 01:38 PM
If one rides early early morning or late at night, you can generally exceed the speed limit on the wo&d, capital crescent, mt vernon or any of the other rail to trail mups in the dc area.

granted, on most of them you run the risk of running into some wildlife.

:crap:

572cv
07-15-2016, 04:23 PM
Between Annecy and Albertville in France, there is a multi use path that follows the old railroad link. Close to towns, it is a bit congested, but for vast stretches, it is smooth riding as fast as you can go, though you do have to slow for road crossings. It is also very beautiful. I would think this is true of many routes on old rail beds. If they go for long enough, you can get out from the other, slower uses if you are on a bike.

rzthomas
07-15-2016, 08:18 PM
In the south Chicago suburbs, the paths here are pretty quiet except on weekends, and even then, it's about 1-2 people every 1/2 mile or so. You can (and I do) ride at fast training speeds most of the time while still being considerate of other users.

Om the Chicago lake front path, the only time to ride fast is in the early AM or in the winter.

buddybikes
07-15-2016, 09:11 PM
35mph? Build a velodrome with walkways

rab
07-16-2016, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the continued comments!

The speed range has definitely been focal point, rightfully so.
In the case of the original question, there are a couple reasons for the desire to allow for higher speeds.
One is to account for terrain, significant downhill sections in which it would be easy to reach 20+ mph without much effort. Add a tailwind and pedaling, much higher speeds could be possible.
Another reason would be to provide a facility that is attractive to cyclists of varying levels including fast roadie and triathlete types.

Regarding the concern about the proximity to other users, that's the crux. Comparing to the average multi-user trail isn't the goal here, its how to improve upon that. Perhaps a better way to put this is to call it a multi-functional trail "system"?
I think it can be done, but again, using the typical MUP isn't going to work.
Cyclists operating at higher speeds regularly operate close to pedestrians in many situations without much conflict. Your average street could be a great example - you have people, kids, pets etc on a sidewalk while a few feet away you have cyclists moving at much faster speeds as well as cars at significantly higher speeds. For the most part, pedestrians manage to keep themselves/pets/kids contained to sidewalks and cyclists to the adjacent street without issue. Only separation is a couple inches of curb and the understanding of who should be where. And perhaps this is an answer.
Of course specific lanes with walls would clearly demarcate and separate but that seems excessive.

Looking at some of the seemingly more effective shared resources, the common grounds for success seem to be adequate space to allow for navigation between users (wider=better/safer) and specific indications of who should be where.
There is always the onus on the users to follow the rules but that goes for life in general. Can't count the number of times I've had runners in the bike lanes next to an empty sidewalk forcing me to move into the motor traffic lanes. (not to get into the concrete vs asphalt argument)

As a bit of food for thought, check out the abandoned PA Turnpike, Pike to Bike trail. Imagine having the opportunity to convert that to a multiuser bikeway. Lot of space to work with.

Louis
07-16-2016, 11:25 AM
In the case of the original question, there are a couple reasons for the desire to allow for higher speeds.
One is to account for terrain, significant downhill sections in which it would be easy to reach 20+ mph without much effort. Add a tailwind and pedaling, much higher speeds could be possible.

I think if all users could proportionally increase their speed in these conditions then it might work out, but only those of us on wheels, probably only cyclists and serious/strong roller-bladers, can really take advantage of this. Runners might speed up a bit, but walkers are still stuck down at very slow speeds.

cnighbor1
07-16-2016, 11:34 AM

I agree
15 mph is maximum speed when close to walkers, dogs etc
If you want speed head for the roads
Even separated paths don't work has walkers etc. use them even if marked BIKES ONLY
there is one near Benicia CA About 5' apart Both paths used by anyone even if it signed for separate use

Ralph
07-16-2016, 11:57 AM
We have a lot of miles of 12-14' wide smooth MUT's close to where I live. I think they are great! They were designed for walkers and hikers, joggers, Moms jogging behind strollers, kids learning to ride on training wheels, folks walking dogs on those super dangerous spring loaded leashes, old folks walking from the numerous assisted living facilities located near the trails, and oh.....cyclists who can ride carefully enough to co exist with the above mentioned traffic. And for connecting neighborhoods to schools and shopping, etc. Sometimes just a long trail to go thru some scenic areas. It just scares the hell out of me when I see a cyclist come buzzing thru at 20 + MPH like he has some right to do that.

I've been with my bike on trails all over the USA. I am yet to see a community willing to spend what it takes (about a $1,000,000 per mile plus cost of bridges over and tunnels under major intersection....like we have) to accommodate cyclists going speeds like we like to run. I just don't think that's what they were intended for. So my riding buddies and I....just use the trails to get to a meeting and ride ending place....then just idle on the trail to and from.

if you find a wide smooth trail that's safe for faster group or single riding, please let me know. Would love to load my bike in my car, drive there, and stay around a couple days to ride it. Hopefully some day it will exist.

Dead Man
07-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Could be he's thinking less about his right to do 20+ on the MUP and more about not being late to work..

Not excusing.. But I mean sorta. Having been that guy many times.

Ralph
07-16-2016, 02:02 PM
http://36commutingsolutions.org/us-36-projects/u-s-36-bikeway

Been wanting to ride this Boulder to Wesminister Trail. One thing about (good) trails....when you are 2000 miles from home with your bike.....if you ride some trails....and watch out for all the trail dangers.....you are less likely to wind up in a hospital when you are all alone 2000 miles from home....I think. Once I get an area figured out....will venture forth to back roads.

Several times.....have stayed at the Homewood Suites in Boulder.....it's behind a shopping center on Baseline Rd at Foothills Parkway. OP....would this be a good location to access that new trail....and others?