PDA

View Full Version : A headset problem

farmallguy
07-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Having a problem with a recently purchased Serotta Legend which I haven't ridden yet. It has a Chris King NoThreadSet installed on an Ouzo Pro fork with a carbon steerer. I wanted to service it( check seals, flush and relube bearings) before building the frame back up. The GripLock Cap was pretty tight and I am not familiar with these headsets so I took it to the LBS to have it done. They say the cap won't budge which I believe. King's website says to tap the side of the steerer to release the GripLock but it won't budge.

Hoping someone here has had a similar experience and can pass on the solution to me.

Thanks

Jack

tuscanyswe
07-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Reynolds ouzo suggest its an older headset. Believe they were not always made to be disassembled if we are talking about the same part that is .) At least they didn't use to come apart as easily as they do now.

Since I'm intrigued as to what part won't budge, which one?

http://www.avt.bike/images/ChrisKing/Headsets/Chris-King-headset-parts-exploded-view-NoThreadSet-Black-bold-logo.jpg

ultraman6970
07-14-2016, 05:17 PM
FSA orbit headsets are not expensive, they have a lot of less parts than a CK and the design is just so simple that they work even if the bearings are toasted.

farmallguy
07-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Since I'm intrigued as to what part won't budge, which one?

http://www.avt.bike/images/ChrisKing/Headsets/Chris-King-headset-parts-exploded-view-NoThreadSet-Black-bold-logo.jpg

By that diagram it is the Bearing Cap. I was looking at a diagram on their website.

tuscanyswe
07-14-2016, 05:48 PM
By that diagram it is the Bearing Cap. I was looking at a diagram on their website.

Yeah that part is actuall a 3 piece pressfit these days and usually come apart very easy. But i think perhaps they weren't made to be disassembled pre 2010 when they changed the design.

So its this part you can't get open or you can't get it off the fork meaning the fork is still in the frame? (that would be a more common problem "according to google" and my own experiences).

farmallguy
07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
So its this part you can't get open or you can't get it off the fork meaning the fork is still in the frame? (that would be a more common problem "according to google" and my own experiences).

The Bearing Cap won't release from the steerer and the fork is in the frame.

farmallguy
07-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Is there a rubber o-ring in the Bearing Cap causing it to hang up on the steerer?

tuscanyswe
07-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Is there a rubber o-ring in the Bearing Cap causing it to hang up on the steerer?

Yes there is an o-ring in there so quite possibly thats part of the problem.
These can be really hard to get on so i imagine they can be even harder to get out if a bit unlucky.

Ive personally had a fork that was a tad to large diameter steerer and i could not get it on more than 9/10 of the way down once there i could not get it on the last bit but i could no longer back it off either so i ended up cutting the steerer. That time it was an out of spec fork but only ever so slightly..

So both you and the shop tried hammering the steerer with protection or rubber mallet or similar?

eBAUMANN
07-14-2016, 06:30 PM
get a wood block and a hammer
position the bearing cap so it is flush with the top bearings/cup
apply wood block to top of steerer
smack wood black with hammer
repeat as necessary, harder if necessary
profit

desperate times...

a little wd40 or something might help also

oooooooo!
another idea

use a crown race removal tool

Dead Man
07-14-2016, 06:35 PM
get a wood block and a hammer
position the bearing cap so it is flush with the top bearings/cup
apply wood block to top of steerer
smack wood black with hammer
repeat as necessary, harder if necessary
profit

desperate times...

a little wd40 or something might help also

oooooooo!
another idea

use a crown race removal tool

Yup... Smacking the steerer ought to do it.

However... King headsets are not serviceable. So unless you're replacing the headset, there's no point to this...

guyintense
07-14-2016, 07:44 PM
However... King headsets are not serviceable. So unless you're replacing the headset, there's no point to this...

King headset are easy to service, pop the retaining clip with a pen knife, remove the seal, flush with your choice of solvent, regrease, assemble and you're good for another ten years.

farmallguy
07-14-2016, 08:16 PM
King specifically says not to drive the steerer down thru the headset as it could damage the bearings so that is not an option.

bikinchris
07-14-2016, 09:14 PM
The spacers came off easy, but the top cap of the bearing didn't? I have had several customers who sweat so much, they fill up the spacers, top cap and every other part of the bike with salt. Sometimes, you can rinse it out and remove enough salt to knock it out (gently) and a few times it took a lot more.

eBAUMANN
07-14-2016, 09:40 PM
King specifically says not to drive the steerer down thru the headset as it could damage the bearings so that is not an option.

Yes, it COULD damage your bearings...but it could also NOT damage them.
Ive used this method on several occasions and it works fine, doesn't damage anything.

If you don't want to wack it, use a crown race puller to pull it off.

farmallguy
07-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Ive used this method on several occasions and it works fine, doesn't damage anything.

I'll have to see if the shop has a crown race puller. That might work if we can get the blades under the cap.

AngryScientist
07-15-2016, 06:37 AM

i agree with Eric. if it were mine i would whack the steerer out. before doing that though, i would soak the area with penetrating oil for an overnight or two, which might just loosen things up to the point they will slip apart easier. they dont like to move very much dry.

farmallguy
07-15-2016, 06:39 AM
It has been soaking since yesterday so we might see a breakthrough today, maybe.

Dude
07-15-2016, 06:40 AM
I'll have to see if the shop has a crown race puller. That might work if we can get the blades under the cap.

Not sure if you are using an expander plug in the steerer tube, but make sure that is out before trying to remove the part. Expander plugs can, yes, expand the outer diameter of the steerer tube making things hard to slide up/down.

Or the crown race puller should do it. I'd drop some triflow or light lube in there to aid the process.

farmallguy
07-15-2016, 06:42 AM
yes, the expander plug is out, and Tri-flow is what has been soaking overnight.

tigoat
07-15-2016, 06:52 AM
I would caution to use any strong fluid, as it could contaminate the carbon steerer and the bearing. I have to occasionally give mine a big tap with a mallet with a stubborn headset/fork to get it out. I also would do the same thing with a stuck crank. If you have two strong men then perhaps it could be pulled out with one holding onto the frame while the other yanking the fork out but one might hit the floor though.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2016, 06:58 AM
The Bearing Cap won't release from the steerer and the fork is in the frame.

Make sure whatever is in the steerer, expander or whatever, is removed first. An expander can bulge the steerer enough to prevent the bearing cap from coming off. Particularly the OuzoPro expander.

farmallguy
07-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Okay, it's off. Soaking with Tri-Flow loosened it up, the o-ring had stuck to the steerer. Checked the seals and cleaned and lubed the bearings so all is good. I was afraid it might have to get cut off.

Handled by LBS and did a good job, Trailside in Canfield, OH.

Thanks for all help folks!

Clancy
07-15-2016, 03:50 PM
I bet they whacked it

Satellite
07-15-2016, 11:23 PM
Okay, it's off. Soaking with Tri-Flow loosened it up, the o-ring had stuck to the steerer. Checked the seals and cleaned and lubed the bearings so all is good. I was afraid it might have to get cut off.

Handled by LBS and did a good job, Trailside in Canfield, OH.

Thanks for all help folks!

I had the same but different complications with my Colnago C50 restoration everything was just a bit off being Italian. Once you get it sorted out the Legend will be worth the headaches.

shovelhd
07-16-2016, 06:26 AM
I bet they whacked it

This is a family forum.